Strange Behavior (Illustration) Entry: Reb Capper

Hokay…so I still have loads to do but the lighting is starting to shape up a bit better.
I moved the baby up on to the step so that he’s a bit more central and turned the woman so that she takes less attention away from the castle and baby. The owl is now looking at the baby too which helps lead your eye towards the genius kid.
I still have plenty to do with the castles in the background, the woman’s hair, the pile of lego bricks and other details, not to mention of course the texture of lego bricks everywhere which I really can’t wait to do…ahem…
I just hope I can still see at the end of it.

Comments welcome to come inside and have a cup of tea with me. Very thirsty…

Q

You have been very busy and productive. The baby is much easier to see! But could the lady have a finger kind of pointing at the baby? This is one of those rare occasions when I wish (from a work flow stand point) that the building was make in a 3D program so you could use seamless Lego textures that could be made to fall into scale, lighting and perspective with far less effort. You could then paint on top of that building render. Maybe make a 2D Lego brush, or some seamless Lego textures?

All the best on this wonderful and inspiring image! :slight_smile:

Yet another colouring but nearly there now thank goodness. Some details are still a bit screwy and need rejigging but it looks like I should finish in time at least, which is just as well because I’m rather fed up of it now!

Cheers Korendo for the crits. Sadly there is no time for 3d-yery now and I love my paintbrush, however I have been back and forth with the position of the mother’s hand. Its back to where it was originally and perhaps helps draw the eye towards the baby more but still needs some work.

Comments welcome…!

Q

The hand angle does help direct attend to the baby and to the Lego’s. I like the large gray Lego implying that most of the building is made from this type Lego (maybe add a couple more of this type?). As for 3D, I didn’t expect you to rapidly put together a 3D building. But it is nice to compare workflow ideas.

You are so close, onwards to the final!  Best of luck.

Early Learning, Late Evening

Somewhere deep in a mountainous region of Switzerland, we find a baby of wonder, who during his play in the garden before bedtime has managed to construct something rather more impressive than one would usually find.

His mother, returning from her latest baking session and coming to fetch him in, is rather shocked and disturbed at what she comes across. As she surveys the sight before her, her eyes are led further afield where the castle continues to run over the surrounding mountains in the distance. She also notices his use of other playtime toys amongst his design.

The cheeky chappy is concentrating hard to finish his masterpiece when his mum arrives and looks to her for approval. The local wildlife have gathered over the afternoon - a couple of squirrels and an owl, who also marvel at his creation and watch with interest as he works to add the finishing touches.

Exhausting the towns whole supply of lego - both big and small bricks, our hero has managed a feat not only impossible in the time frame, but also mind-blowing for his years… which is one.

This artist has managed a feat near impossible in the time frame, but also mind-blowing and wonderful. Great to see your final work, congratulations and best of luck.

Cheers Korendo!! and thanks for all the encouragment!

The pic itself looks rather shonky here as I think the resolution is a bit rubbish. Any advice on how to get the best posted? The dpi is tiny unfortunately, but is it best to reduce the physical size or optimise the fiel size?? Anyone??..pls help! And hopefully I can replace the final version,

Thankq! :slight_smile:
Q

Story as below…and hopefully this should be a better res…

Q

Congratulations. Good of luck :slight_smile:

Greetings,

There is the small images you post (including a final(s)) and the large final(s) you zip and FTP, which one do you mean? What is your the master art resolution? The challenge has the specs here [color=aqua]http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/strange_behavior/deliverables.php[/color] (bottom of the page). With the two week extension you have some time to refine as desired.

Hey Korendo!:slight_smile:

Well I was a muppet and didn’t check the file size assuming it was the size I usually do…however it had reverted to super tiny!! Thus I now have the challenge of trying to upsize it somehow without ruining it or having to completely redo it. I think I’ll have to do a bit of both - upsize and overpaint. Any tips on what to do…print it out and scan it in at high res??

I’ve submitted all the pix but I can always replace…I hope…the ftp one is the biggy that matters I guess,

Cheers,
Q

Greetings Q,

I started my image very small in gray scale so I could work faster. I suggest you upscale a little above the specs (or even larger depending on the speed/power of your computer), and touchup edges and details on the main subjects then use your discretion on the amount of work on the background items. All your color, shapes etc are already there so this is mostly a matter of touchup.

[font=Arial]FYI - I got a tip on Smart-FTP software it is free and is fairly easy to use if that is of any interest. All the best![/font][font=Arial][/font]

wow! :eek: your image has got that massive feel to it! :eek: plus … great story too! :stuck_out_tongue: best wishes to you! :thumbsup: cheers! :beer:

Early Learning, Late Evening

Repeating myself now, but I have retouched the painting at a higher res so will hopefully look a bit sparkier. The story remains the same…

Somewhere deep in a mountainous region of Switzerland, we find a baby of wonder, who during his play in the garden before bedtime has managed to construct something rather more impressive than one would usually find.

His mother, returning from her latest baking session and coming to fetch him in, is rather shocked and disturbed at what she comes across. As she surveys the sight before her, her eyes are led further afield where the castle continues to run over the surrounding mountains in the distance. She also notices his use of other playtime toys amongst his design.

The cheeky chappy is concentrating hard to finish his masterpiece when his mum arrives and looks to her for approval. The local wildlife have gathered over the afternoon - a couple of squirrels and an owl, who also marvel at his creation and watch with interest as he works to add the finishing touches.

Exhausting the towns whole supply of lego - both big and small bricks, our hero has managed a feat not only impossible in the time frame, but also mind-blowing for his years… which is one.

Wow, you did it! Way to go. It looks tighter and more detailed. Congradualtions :thumbsup:

Cheers Korendo, it’s a shame I didn’t realise the res problem at the start, it would be a hell of a lot more definey!! Aah well…next time…yes, next time…muhaa haaaaa haaaaa!!

Anyhooo, you’ve been brilliant through this challenge and a real help - so thanks so much again! Now I’m gonna check out how your crazy plumbing has come along…:slight_smile:

This looks great :smiley: It took a little while before I noticed the baby, but then it all made sense.
I especially like the way the perspective works to create the sense of depth and immense scale.

Hey Reb,… :eek: … simply awesome mate!!! I love your concept, cool!! Your composition is great and the whole atmosphere for the scene is superb!! The light on your image puts a wonderful and fantastic touch on it!! And the “exaggerated” perspective is superb!! Congratulations for this amazing artwork and best of luck !! Cheers mate!!

Very engaging! I love the expression of the eyes on the baby, hahahaha, very nice. Superb work Reb! :thumbsup: You have my best wishes!

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.