Strange Behavior (Illustration) Entry: Paul Davidson

paul

is a pleasure look humanoide style, like 70’s europeen comics, nice tone efects to separate form, is a realy, “realy” great illustration, good luck.

Very creepy… I like it. Excellent colour palette and the lighting creates a great mood.

I hope you don’t inspire any corporations to take this idea to production! :slight_smile: But I’m sure this artwork will inspire all of us…

Best of luck

wow

this looks great as well
seems like i’ve been missing out on some great threads lately
hadn’t noticed it before
swweeeeeet
great pencilwork
and the colours are coming along nice as well
keep it up :lightbulb

love the sketches and final comp…don’t know how much futher you 're gonna push that piece…but i like it as is ( sketch line showing)…such a strong atmosphere already.
my favorite so far…

Don’t know if I said this lately but hey wowww,Love it!!!THe lightning is starting to pop out really well!And great pencilwork indeed!Cheers!

“Usobuki Oil”

“Why do you kill Whales?
For their oil…!
Why do you need the oil?
To keep the harpoons from rusting…!”

Been a while since i last posted…been busy. No startling change…still a lot of tinkering. Nice to be back at it…and i’ve noticed a lot of people have steamed ahead

“Usobuki Oil”

Mucking about with the general feel, getting a taste for what’s right and what’s wrong. Feeling my way around. The back wall will be the last thing i do, that’ll be the final element to compliment the colours that i stick with.

Thanks for looking

Paul

“Why do you kill Whales?
For their oil…!
Why do you need the oil?

The man oiling the harpoon is wearing an Usobuki mask, they are used in Japanese plays.
They humerously reflect the problems of the human condition.
The expression on the mask contributes to a sense of the absurdity of life…!

Hey, Paul, looking good! Glad to see ou’re still finding some time for this!
THe whale looks terrific. In a way it’s a shame that the mould and grime on the window blocks part of his body, but they are great effects and really fit the scene too. I like the little specular hilights you have around from that one lamp on the left, like on the oil-can. They really accentuate the metallic parts. Might even be nice to push those shines a bit further, make them sharper and shinier given how much metal is around. Anyhow, just a thought. Looking great, and plenty of time for more. Good luck!

Hi Walrus, always nice to hear from you. The mould etc on the glass will be dropped back slightly because i need to show the pipes and tubes coming out of the whale. I’ll be adding water leaking out of the container as well.

Thanks again

Paul

Simply stunning artwork, and i love the chicken and egg paradoxical absurdity which lies behind it! Your piece engages the audience on more than one level - fantastic!

best of luck :smiley:

great work!!
i’m happy to see a old challenger!

Hey Paul, that its a great painting, i really like your lighting and the design of the machine, nice!! and the usobuki mask is a very original detail, cool !! :thumbsup: Perhaps another masks hanging over the machine, with another expressions for the other steps to obtain oil ( the “hunting whales mode” mask… ), only a comment :slight_smile: Again awesome work Paul !! Cheers :beer:

Thanks guys, nice to read your comments.

Good luck

Paul

glad to see your update…Mr.paulwdavidson…but I couldn’t see some pictuers…

wow. Sophisticated lighting and a very strange theme indeed. This is a great illustration, good luck with the voting!

Very interesting approach to the modern life’s dilemma

i really like the rust effect and the mood that the small light creates…

Thanks for the comments, guys. Still have a hell of a lot of work to do on this. First I’m going to work into the background with an old tiled wall that’s really dirty and unheigenic (at least that’s what was im head at the beginning…it might change) then i have the wires and bubbles etc the water cubicle will be leaking …aaargh, i could go on and on, let’s just say there’s a lot of things to do. I’ve only started to add the colour to certain areas…there’s a fair bit of detail to get in there yet…whatever… push on.

Thanks again

Paul

Strange behavior indeed. :slight_smile:

Another excellent piece in the making.

“Why do you kill Whales?
For their oil…!
Why do you need the oil?

The man oiling the harpoon is wearing an Usobuki mask, they are used in Japanese plays.
They humerously reflect the problems of the human condition.
The expression on the mask contributes to a sense of the absurdity of life…!

Have’nt worked on this…been too busy. Nearly finished…phew! with under 2 weeks left.
These last few months have flown!
Good luck to everyone.

Paul