Strange Behavior (Illustration) Entry: Paul Davidson

That takes form, super technical pencil. to follow :slight_smile:

mindblowing sketch! :eek: and very artisitic … love the details already! :love: :eek: waiting to c more dude! :stuck_out_tongue:

good luck to u! :thumbsup:

“Usobuki Oil”

“Why do you kill Whales?
For their oil…!
Why do you need the oil?
To keep the harpoons from rusting…!”

The man oiling the harpoon is wearing an Usobuki mask, they are used in Japanese plays.
They humerously reflect the problems of the human condition.
The expression on the mask contributes to a sense of the absurdity of life…!

Line art…tonal guide, ready for painting.

Fantastic linework! :eek:, I wish I could finish my own sketches to that level.

WOW!! Awesome work. The tonal guide is so precise…
I see you work in a classic way of painting, I love it.
Can’t wait to see the color process.

This is great! I love the mask on the figure. It makes the image for me.

I cant even begin to tell you how much i am impressed by your pencil work… poor little whale… keep it up

Starting to blot in some colour to get away from that intimidating white. Things will shift and sway…I’ve got an image in my head, but i leave it open for interesting new discoveries.

Paul

“Usobuki Oil”

“Why do you kill Whales?
For their oil…!
Why do you need the oil?

The man oiling the harpoon is wearing an Usobuki mask, they are used in Japanese plays.

Wonderful, great work!

I really love the artwork and colours and of course the idea. One of my favourites from the different images I’ve seen so far. Wish you good luck!!

Arne

so it begins. work you magic man!

The little whale is glowing…:eek:

green gives me an uncomfortable feeling but it works for this image… you should use it in your final coloring… keep it up

Hi Paul, and thanks for the comment to my stuff!
First of all, great idea: way to make everybody else’s work seem shallow!
The line drawing and colours are quite amazing, too. The only criticism I have is that the beluga’s body as seen through the windows looks disjointed. Perhaps it could be the refraction, but it still desn’t look refracted.
And don’t forget, belugas are mammals and have to breathe air, so perhaps you could connect an air tube to its back.
That’s all the crits I have, so I’ll just leave a fanboy comment… your illustration rocks!

Hi, it seems like I would be posting once a week if i waited before loads more was done. As i mentioned earlier, I only get a small pcket of time to work on this. Here I’m getting close to finishing the Beluga…hope you like. Tubes and wires next.

Paul

“Usobuki Oil”

“Why do you kill Whales?
For their oil…!
Why do you need the oil?

Your piece is simply beautiful. I love the style color and execution top notch work. :applause: :applause:

looking nice… the little whale looks very very nice BUT it still feels like its glowing somewhat… maybe thats the effect you are aiming for… the light on the mask works very nicelly too… keep it up

That is the look i’m going for…not from the whale, the whale isn’t glowing…there’s light inside the containment unit. A lot like the luminescence created in aquariums.

I hope that gives you a clue at this early stage.

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

Paul

this idea is chilling. really chilling. very stong image. notihing to crit. will be following progress

The Creepy atmosphere is terrific, and speaking about ignoring the world to take care of his machines :wink: Good sketching as well. Keep it flowing!

“Why do you kill Whales?
For their oil…!
Why do you need the oil?

Says so much about humanity!

Only thing critically i can see is the whale looks a little wonky? Is it because of the perspective distort in the glass? Your lighting is looking spot on.

Hi Paul,

This is a thoughtful and well-executed entry and it’s great to see that it’s from someone up the road from me. I’ll be following this one.

Best of luck,
Claire.