Strange Behavior (Illustration) Entry: Kamal Khalil

I really love the hair effect, the color is so rich (and the scale you used works perfectly) and once again the concept is very very original! Go on with the good work! (I have on eye on this!) :smiley:

Neville (nwiz25) - I feel really honored Neville, thank you so much for the grand encouragement and very uplifting comments! :bounce: I shall go go go right back to finishing it now!:smiley:

Thanks for everything bro!:thumbsup: You rock!!:buttrock:

Zara (Nemesix) - You are always so kind and motivating. Thank you so much for the support, I hope you will love the final image!

I really like that heart.:thumbsup: Great flessy surface. I wonder if Painter has special brush effects for this kind of work?

Very great work over here! :buttrock:I really like the graphic interpretation - this way you differ yourself from ‘the others’. Also the mood is very ‘strange’ because of the clean-white-look and the heart.

Great idea and execution! :thumbsup: All the best!

[color=lightblue]Martin (MartinNielsen) - Hey there Martin, great to see you! I am happy you like my heart :smiley: Well there is no quick solution for a fleshy look, except good reference and info. I would recommend Techniques of Neville Page Volume 4: ‘Rendering Flesh’ DVD from the Gnomon Workshop :slight_smile: [/color]http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/npa04.html
I got to have a look at that so I had a great amount of info and instruction on how to make something look fleshy. I also looked at pictures of hearts, even a live beating one Hahaha :twisted:

To answer your question…

[color=lime]Painter X has a LOT of tools to choose from that will make it a lot easier to render though, especially with it’s very strong blending toolset. Grainy Blender does a good job at blending but keeping the paper texture, so you can have that grain and texture while you blend. I did a lot of glazing and detail airbrushing. I love to glaze with the Digital Watercolor because it is very transparent and does a fantastic glaze because of the wet attribute it has. The watercolor stays wet until you decide to dry it on your canvas so you can mix different hues and values as the paint stays wet, just like real watercolor. You can go wild with it also because it being wet you can use a wet eraser to then erase excess and that wet eraser will not erase anything else but the watercolor because the rest of the canvas is dry. Once you dry the canvas then you will have to use a normal eraser. Also, glazing again over the aleady dried color will obviously make it darker like a ‘multipy’ blending mode. That Digital Watercolor [/color]tool has been a great help, throughout the entire image.

Gijs (Dutchman) - Thank you for your kind words my friend and your support, I am very grateful. I wish you too all the best!:thumbsup:

those details are so stunning and creative,
and colors are also elegant.
it’s really a breath-taking piece.:thumbsup:

YuChi - Thank you so much Yuchi, I am happy you enjoy my piece :smiley: I appreciate your support and kind comments!

Thanks for your information :slight_smile:

I know there’s no easy way out. The problem for me is though, that when painting that kind of detail i PS, I always end up painting almost at pixel level. Making it look very clean, generic and “computer” like. But your Painter tale sounds indeed interesting, and I will try this software out later. :arteest:

Martin (MartinNielsen) - Hey Martin! I definately understand EXACTLY what you mean. I always have that problem. I have to constantly remind myself that texture texture texture is what counts, not perfect accuracy in order to capture the photo realistic quality of the object. I looked at a lot of photos and tried to figure out what it was that photos have that a paint stroke doesn’t. What I came up it was that the photo had a lot of pixel variation and that anything real is quite inconsistent (highly textured, even if you can’t notice it). So that is the hardest part I believe, accepting that smooth is not cool :smiley: Not unless it’s a machine, and even then machines still have the texture of the tools that produce them. Trying to paint pixel for pixel is something an insane person would do! Leave that to the camera my friend!:scream: It’s natural I guess to try and get away from an image looking like a photo, but a little mess and grain adds to the image greatly. (Note: I am not good at it, but I keep trying :slight_smile: I hate a mess when I know exactly what the end should look like:sad: Love it when I don’t! hahaha)

I was once painting a skull and I was so lazy! I wanted it to look as realistic as possible as FAST as possible. I grabbed my Pixel Spray Airbrush and just started spraying. The Pixel Spray is very random and you get VERY TINY pixels that disperse from the nozzle. At first it was just a mess and looked horrible. But after I started painting in the values and everything, the random pixels sure did an amazing job at taking care of the realistic texture feel. All it required was just sucking it up that it sucked at first, and it proved to be a good foundation :smiley: Just know that the messy random grains will add to the quality.

Not that random pixels will make everything look the way you want, but making a mess is good! It only adds to the image when you paint over it with a little transparency. :thumbsup: Happy Painting my friend! Always great to chat with you!:bounce:

Zara (Nemesix) - You are always so kind and motivating. Thank you so much for the support, I hope you will love the final image!

I’m sure I will! :smiley: CLAPS

MartinNielsen -

i’ve been reading your posts, and I think we have similar problems… One method I discovered is keeping away from the zoom tool! you can try getting used to painting from far away, zooming in very rarely when you really need to nail down a particular detail, and get the tonal values you’re after far away with a sloppy brush setting. Once image looks good from far away, usually strokes come out very nicely up close too, then you can edit some of the strokes to give them a more painterly shape up-close…

Basically, I figured that the zoom-in tool is my enemy when I’m trying to paint a stroke driven illustration, unless I use it frequently with the zoom-out tool to compare…

hope this helps…

Many thanks to you both :slight_smile: It sure helps me alot. I must change my style, because I don’t like it that much… :sad: If you take a look at this masterpiece from this challenge, I think you all know what I’m talking about:

http://www.3delavnica.com/@upload/Ninja_ASSN/20%20000%20miles%20lost_1900.jpg

It just don’t get better than this.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Kamal… :slight_smile:

Zara (Nemesix) - That makes me happy!!:smiley:

Jeff - Always nice to have you share your experience and knowledge! You know you are always welcome!

[color=lightblue]Martin ( MartinNielsen) - No problem my friend, hijack as much as you like! You learn, I learn, we all learn. As for painting and anything creative, sometimes you just have to get out of your head about somethings and let the magic happen. Best of all we have a place like this to communicate and learn from each other.[/color]

it’s looking really nice!Congrats!I will comeback to check your updates!

[color=silver]Doug - Thank you so much Doug, I hope you enjoy the updates! :smiley: [/color]

Hey Kamal, the piece its getting awesome! The level of detail on the heart is great. Looking foward for the final image:beer:

Vinicius (BloodTaster) - Thanks a lot Vinicius! I should be finishing up today bro! :bounce: I hope…:rolleyes: I said that like a thousand times to myself.