Strange Behavior (Illustration) Entry: Kamal Khalil

Fangyu (Arias) - Hey Fangyu, great to see you are up and at it again! :thumbsup: Thank you for the comments my friend and I wish you all the best!! Make full use of the extra 2 weeks :smiley:

Kamal my friend!Congratulations on your final image! I liked specially the red and the blue tones! It’s a poetic yet violent piece!Hope we can meet again on future chalenges!Yet this one is not finished,we had two more extra weeks!!best wishes and good luck on final judgement!

Doug - Thanks a lot Doug :smiley: I hope to see you in another challenge as well. Best wishes and good luck with the judges too!!

Hey Kamal, superb art work my friend !! I love the beautiful composition and the great colour contrast on it. The blanc fabric lenguage is great and join in amazing way the man to the woman. Your image is really powerful and interesting, with a unique lenguage for the viewer but with many interrogations, every time I see your painting, I find different emotions, and i love that.

Congratulations my friend for this superb art work!! and good luck !! … and now is time for beers!! and two bottles, one of rum and one of tequila, yeaaaaa!! Cheers my friend :beer:

hi Kamal, wow you’re done man!

You’ve came late, but flew fast buddy. I yhink you’ve done a great job with this challenge, both on the story part and the illustration! your painter techniques are totally mind opening, and the texture of your piece is very unique to the challenge. thanks for joining dude, was certainly a pleasure to have you here and learn from you… I’m curious of your future projects, I will be looking forward to see more from you !

Best of luck with the voting…

Great work!! Impressive use of color and composition. Your subject is also clever and it’s refreshing to see so much thought put into an image. Wish you all the best with the judges!!

Looking really good Hiun!
Great story too, reminds me of a Japanese movie… but it was not the heart that she cut off and kept :eek::argh::argh:

hey man…I just say…feelllllling…u made my love…kamal.

Ferx - Thank you so much for all the support and kind words my friend. I am happy that you are able to find different emotions each time you see the painting, I love that too! Best wishes to you my good friend!:thumbsup:

Jeff - You have been a great supporter since the start and I have to greatly thank you for all the input, comments and crituqes as well. I am very pleased that you enjoy the final and most of all that you felt I was a good contribution to the challenge. You yourself have been a great contributor to this challenge all round, and it has been a pleasure interacting with you.
I will be around!:smiley:
Best of luck with the voting too my friend!!

Yana (Santana) - Thank you Yana for the kind comments and sharing your thoughts about my work. Greatly appreciated!

Marlon (Art2) - Hahahahaha… thanks Marlon hahahaha you need to give me the name of that movie.:scream:

Shahriyar - That is some compliment!:smiley: Thank you Shahriyar!!

Holy! you really made a LOT of progress! I really really love the image!
Love how you play with the eye of the viewer. Pretty bold (but very skillfully done)to do such a prominent bloodstain on a (near)white sheet while still keeping the focus on the female’s face and heart! great job! There’s a lot I can learn from you.

The only comment I would have would be on the womans right arm. It seems quite flat. On purpose?

Damn those colors in the sheets shadow’s rock! :applause:

DavidSmit - Thanks for stopping by to share all your wonderful thoughts with me David!! :smiley: To answer your question about the right arm… yes I did it that way on purpose. I did it that way to keep the eye from being too attracted outward. You voiced a concern that my friend Ferx also had. After going through my progressions (which you can see in the post after my final image) I noticed that there was a point where I did have more volume on the arm and it worked out quite well. At the time it was certainly too much, but I may just go back and see if I can get a little bit more dark in there nearest to the pillow. Not sure why it wasn’t working later on in the image, but if I can make it work now, then I will surely update. Thanks for the comment and question!:thumbsup:

After 2 colleagues voiced their concerns to me (Ferx & DavidSmit), I revisted the image and realized that the woman’s right arm in fact could certainly use some volume.

TITLE: Perfect

TOOLS:
SOFTWARE: Corel Painter X

HARDWARE: Wacom Cintiq 21UX

FINAL IMAGE: 4566 X 7000 @ 400PPI (28.99cm x 44.45cm) - Portrait

STORY:

A woman finally found that person she was truly in love with. She saw everything that she wanted in him and loved his heart and soul. It all seemed too good to be true, too far from reality. Not only did the woman feel this way but the man too shared such feelings towards her.

But the woman wanted perfection, and alas the man being only human, at times showed his imperfections. Her desire to have perfection and to accept nothing but what she considered to be ‘perfect love’ rendered the woman unsatisfied with even the slightest inconsistency.

The woman figures if she just had the part of him she really loved, his heart, and got rid of the man, the imperfections, then she would be fully happy and forever satisfied. The man loving her so much wants nothing more than to make her fully happy, and thus willingly gives his heart to the woman to fulfill her desires; to give her perfection.

HIGHLIGHTS:

• The subtle smile on the woman’s face is to depict her innermost happiness, a sense of being triumphant and complete. I wanted to depict her as though in a dream in which everything she has ever wanted has been made possible. I tried to stay away from a smile that would make her appear as though she were being devious.

-The male who is covered in his own blood is depicted as being at peace. He is meant to look relaxed and calm as though he was just sleeping. Because he willingly gave his life so she could be fully happy; the aim is to give a sense of him being complete and triumphant, rather than uncomfortable or in any form of distress. The man is placed lower in the composition, but this is not symbolic of lower importance, but to signify that he places the woman above himself.

-The render I chose for the male is meant to build on the relationship between him and the woman. The woman is more developed and taken beyond the sketch and line art stage. The male retains the sketch qualities and line art to keep him as secondary read to the woman, and to symbolize him as being the foundation to the woman’s happiness; relating to the concept of a good sketch being the foundation to developing a great final product.

-I have the woman touching the man gently and intimately stroking him to show her continued love and affection for him. Her hands are stained with blood to show that she had a hand in the ordeal. Partly being symbolic I chose to stain her hand rather than give the blood fluidity in order to have a sense of forever being there with her, something she will carry with her forever. To have given the blood fluidity would have made it appear too much in the moment and temporary. It also would have added a different mood, one which was less sensitive.

-The textured portion of the fabric was done in the large focal area to keep the interest in that area of intimacy. The folds and design of the fabric in the focal/textured area are done in such a way as to seem organic and flower like. I wanted it to appear less like human made material and assume some of the beauty and irregularity in the design of nature; much like the idea of love itself, unexplained, an experience of emotions rather than reason.

-The textures on the man’s face and on the woman’s arms and neck are used to further unite them and also keep the area interesting to view. The textures are that of the flowers which symbolize their relationship.

The flowers being:

Gloxinia – love at first sight (purple, red,)
Heliotrope – Devotion, Eternal Love (purple)
Forget Me Not – Faithful Love, True Love, Memories (blue)

-The colors of the flowers are also what the palette of the piece is based on; the calm and tranquility of the purple blues and the burning passion of the red. The image is not meant to be sad but expressive and energetic.

CLOSING NOTE:

The choice of render for the piece is meant to be expressive and in itself give meaning to each part of the image. The heart is the most detailed and close to realism among everything else within the image because it is the one thing that remains a reality. Amongst all the unbelievable emotions and dream like experience between the lovers, it is the heart which is the clear sign and proof of how far two people willingly went for love, for what they believed to be perfect love. In view of the fact that your heart doesn’t actually mean your literal human heart, it’s amazing what human beings believe and what belief can make them do.

Ferx [color=white]& [/color]DavidSmit - Thank you Ferx for voicing your thoughts early on in the challenge about the right arm, and thank you David for bringing it back to my attention. It certainly was a bit underdeveloped. Somehow along the way I lost that ever so slightly needed volume. Thank you guys!

hey Kamal sorry it took me this long to post (this was my ‘resume-my-routin’ week, wheew)

You came to the challenge and rocked with this image, it has a style of its own and is probably the most white we are gonna see in the contest! and that’s something good for the eyes! I liked a lot too all the information about your brushes papers and stuff, it helps for the rest of us who never stop to think about the canvas texture…

Kudos Kamal! I enjoy this one a lot!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Beautiful piece of digital painting… I like the color scheme and the lineart, proportions are well done… digital perfection:thumbsup:

Gabriel (SteevieWoo) - Hey Gabriel!! You don’t have to be sorry my friend, I know you have lots to do!:thumbsup: It sure is great to see your piece progress. Thank you so much for your very very kind comments Gabriel, it means a lot coming from you. I just remembered that you also use Painter :smiley: Yeah… there are so many things that program can do it can drive you nuts trying to use them all.:argh: But what a beautiful tool it is though. You use it oh so well by the way. Your piece has a true feel of traditional, and that’s one of the things I love MOST about it, since the very first time I saw your foundation strokes :smiley: Great to have you stop by my friend! Thank you for all the support you have given me from the start.

Oh… if you wish, you could check out the Corel Painter forum and download my Brush set containing the custom variants I used for this piece.
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=112&t=297940&page=3&pp=15

Fabio (Maxter) - Wow Fabio, thank you very much for such a lovely comment! I feel as uplifted as your penguin right now! :smiley:

sure will do pal! thanks a lot for that and all visits and comments!!! more tiny things to come, stay tuned:thumbsup: