Strange Behavior (Illustration) Entry: David Harrington

thats really an interesting piece, Ive seen the earlier versions but this new one is really cool
the character is great and also the silhouette idea is nice
because of the tools hes using I wouldnt mind if they were more fantastical, like the stuff Johnny Depp used in “Sleepy Hollow”…I mean a design that looks more complicate than usefull^^
keep on going man

ouch! this dude is crazy :eek: … cool illustration man!

dubbilan: thanks man. It’s funny, until you said it I hadn’t really noticed that the tip of the nose is isolated and highlighted by shadow - lucky chance :slight_smile:

Frotze: thanks for popping in again. I’m glad the action seems clearer - in the little time I have I have been struggling with the fundamentals of making the story more obvious but feel I can make headway now. I’m going to model in this pose - given the acute bends in the arms, the folds in the coat will be deep and there is no way I could get it looking right with rigging/weighting alone. Luckily this pose is symmetrical and because you will see the outside of one arm and the inside of the other, I can get away with sculpting just one side - as I said in your post, I am looking for every shortcut I can - my spare time is becoming less and less and this picture is moving along at a very slow rate.

Paul4wood: thanks and you are right - that is one ugly shadow - it comes from the top of the candle stick. There should be a bit of bounced light around there to wash it out so if I have time to set up more sophisticated lighting it will hopefully deal to it, otherwise I’ll paint it out in post. Hopefully the folds in the coat in that area will also break it up a bit.

guterrez: thanks - he sure ain’t having no teaparty :slight_smile: (though I had thought of including a laudenum bottle, or maybe a glass of brandy). More fantastical machines could be fun, but I am a bit afraid of going that route. I did try to have the proper craniometer that sits in the ears as per the reference, but the extra lines and dark shadows seemed to fracture the image too much, especially around his head. I guess I would also like to keep a strong foothold in reality - cutting off his nose is an irrational action based on a supposedly rational ‘scientific’ system, so I am contrasting the extreme nature of cutting of his nose against a mundane and practical backdrop - I hope the action stands out more this way. It’s funny - in a way it is the opposite of your picture, where an everyday action (the teaparty) is occurring in a fantastical world and that contrast makes it strange :slight_smile:

Jassar: thanks man. He is crazy and pretty soon he is also going to be mad - but then, he is choleric :slight_smile:

So he is cutting off his nose to spite his face?

I’ve modelled the clothes and played about with some shaders. Hopefully I can finish the modelling tomorrow and start texturing. This picture hasn’t been retouched at all. In the final I will fade out the parts around the legs and bottom of the table.

I’ve been continuing to refine the modelling (hands finally) and started texturing and tweaking of materials. The head isn’t completed yet and at the end when I bump up the poly count I’ll do a final sweep to remove the perfectly straight edges and smooth surfaces for most objects. I’m not entirely happy with the diagram and may try the head as just an outline. Most things need bump and spec maps too and I will probably add some lights to fill out some of the forms better, especially as all materials have had the ambient taken to zero to give the dark shadows.

Erg, the image is looking quite different on my laptop monitor compared to my PC. On my PC the shadows go to black and the colours are rich (you aren’t meant to see anything much below the level of the table). I don’t trust either, so I’ll really need to sort this out before the final image is done.

great progress, the colors are very moody

I like the mood you have created. The dramatic lighting really adds to the horrorscenario you have depicted. Are you gonna give him a certain look on his face by the way? wide open eyes or something which reflects his ‘madness’? He looks quite calm now, considering the fact he’s gonna mutilate himself within a few seconds. Which is cool as well, in a way. Makes it even more psycho I guess. :smiley:

I find your creation interesting and being able to express the human
madness fully, I also like the light and his atmosphere.
If you to be able at final to remove the effect 3d and to bring back naturalness
your image will be large, good courage.

Nice progress, once you get your textures and such sorted out this one is gonna be a beauty.

True. You need some good texture work, and the piece will rock. :buttrock:

you’ve made some great creative changes to this piece. nice progress! i’m sure this will end up being really cool.

Continuing with the texturing and refining the modelling. I also swapped the ‘fire’ area light (the red one) for a spotlight so I can control its area falloff and get rid of the ugly stuff under the table. There’s no texture on the head and hands at the moment.

This version has the modified face with clenched eyes - I’m not absolutely happy with the way it is being lit beneath the eye. Does anyone prefer the original, more passive expression?

I’m getting to the point where I think I may actually be able to finish this. Thanks to everyone for the support and suggestions - it makes it easier to get through.

guterrez: thanks. The colouring is yellow to mirror the yellow skin that was considered a characteristic feature of people with choleric personalities. I added a red light (of glowing embers in a fireplace) to add a little foreshadowing of blood. It hits the bowl quite nicely, which is a bloodletting bowl of those times.

Koekebakker: thanks for looking in. I had always meant to try a face with more expression and have finally got round to modelling it. I’ll have to cogitate on it for a while to see if I am truly happy with it.

Tranchefeux: thanks for your comments. I respect the meaning and thought you put into your work, so I really appreciate it. I hope to remove the 3D look and make it look more like a painting, but I am learning this bit as I go, so I don’t know how well I will be able to do this before the deadline.

Soapy: hehe, beauty must be in the eye of the beholder, but then I like your sense of the absurd and odd, so who knows :slight_smile:

Martin: thanks, if that strap on his head holds there will certainly be some rocking going on.

AshCR24: thanks, it’s been quite a long road looking back - for better or worse I think the destination is now set.

Hey man, looking good so far! I think I prefer the more passive expression. When you clench your eyes that hard, skin gets pulled all over the nose towards the eyebrows, and if I was about to cut my nose, I guess I’d like to have at least a clean cut. :slight_smile: But giving him some more expression isn’t bad in itself; in fact, I think it’s great. I just feel it may be too exagerated right now. Perhaps you could try reducing it to a small frown. At least that would help getting more of his eyes.

I really like how you modeled the folds of his clothes, by the way. Did you use any reference?

the facial expression for this special szuation is quite a tough task^^
the new version looks like he already starts with the cutting process, the first moment when he feels the pressure of his tool, the older version shows the moment before he starts
I guess you have to decide what specific moment you want to show
all in all nice update, speed up man :wink:
cheers,
Mathias

Just a small update but a milestone as all the texturing and modelling is done. I’ve also more or less got my passes sorted, so it’s time to render out and then have a week or so to fiddle with it in post (paint the wig, eyebrows and such).

I’m still contemplating a minimalist background on the right - a barely visible bookshelf. I have the modelled books, so it won’t take much time to put together and comp in.

Frotze: thanks for your opinion. In the end I’ve gone with your suggestion - a sort of halfway look. Enough to suggest some emotion, but not so much that it obliterates the form around the eyes. I did use reference for modelling the folds - the hardest part was finding a jacket that had the right weight cloth and was the proper fit (jackets seem to be a bit looser nowadays). In the end I used my old denim jacket, which worked well. After a few dead ends I found a fairly good mesh pattern for managing folds, although the mesh is still a horrendous mess, but fine for a still.

guterrez: thanks man. I have a couple of weeks left and am sufficiently advanced to be fairly chilled about finishing - I certainly feel it is time to walk away from this one. So the face is done, for better or worse.

A great idea ! A very cultural and very humouristic idea but very hard because if the physiognomony is a stupid idea, it is unfortunately taken seriously at the beginning of the 20th century…

The ligthing is very expressive but, may be, you can put the design on the white table behind the character? the character would be cuting his nose in according the sketch?

Marc.