Strange Behavior (Illustration) Entry: Annie Stegg

This is starting to look really great :slight_smile: !

There’s only one little thing that I find slightly distracting and it’s the yellow drawing on the board just behind little Philip’s left hand. The fact that he points at the dino seems very important for this scene, so as you follow the arm to the hand it should lead the eye to the dino, but this slightly pulls your attention to the drawing instead.
Not a big deal, but I was wondering if swapping the drawing with the job chart wouldn’t make the pose of the hand more effective, as it would come out more against the white background?

Apart from that, no crits :smiley: ! I really like your drawing style :love: !

Good luck on finishing :thumbsup: !

I absolutely agree Thomas! The halloween pumpkin construction paper art is too distracting againg the boys hand. I think I will just paint that out… his hand will definetely show up better against the darker board. Thanks!

i really like the was you draw up the photoshops. but i think that the position of the characters is a bit awkward. especially the girl in the bottom right.

For this revision, I made Philip’s hand stand out more (thanks Thomas) by changing the color of the drawing behind his hand. Getting rid of the drawing entirely did not work, unfortunately, as the cork board color is too similar to his flesh tone. Switching it with the job chart became far too tedious a job. I also worked on the foreground children more in depth, to try to take care of the awkwardness issue pointed out by Slav. I think the angle of the little girl’s head was at too much of a profile, so I tilted it down and forward some. The boy, I made less hunched. Hope fully that solved some issues!

Thank you very much for taking my suggestions into consideration, Annie :)!

Darkening the drawing does indeed make things much better :thumbsup: ! And I understand that switching it with the job chart would have been a bit too time consuming (especially as the d®eadline approaches).

Hehe I see that you changed the girl’s hairdo, which makes her look even more sweet than before - great job :applause: ! You’re really good at creating these kinds of characters :love: .

Hopefully you’ll be able to complete this wonderful image in time :bounce: !

Really great work! This is coming together so well.

Would it be possible to have the teacher looking at the dinosaur? Right now she looks like she’s being scared by something she sees in the back of the room.

Hehe, you’re welcome Thomas! Thank you for helping me to improve my painting! I really hope I can finish in time as well. I am going to have a very busy evening, for sure.

Thats a good suggestion Stephanie. It does seem that the teacher’s looking more towards something more to the right of the dino, instead of right at him. I’ll see what I can do :slight_smile:

For this revision, I have altered the shadows a little bit, and cleaned them up some. I have also moved the teacher back, closer to the board. I have Added another little girl, and cleaned up some of the existing students. I also detailed the apple (Thanks again Thomas and Stephanie). Hopefully, this brings me closer to completing this painting!

Anyone from Stoneybrook elementary will tell you that Philip Burges had the biggest imagination in the whole fourth grade. It almost seemed odd that someone so small could be capable of possessing anything in magnitude. He once came to class with a can of shaving cream, which he would periodically spray in a counterclockwise circle around his desk. He said it was to ward off the playground succubus. Another time he wore his mother’s oven mittens on the playground during dodge ball, claiming that he needed it to keep him from receiving the horrible hives that sports gave him. So, needless to say, no one believed him when he said he was going to bring his pet dinosaur to school for show and tell on Wednesday

Here is my final image! Thanks everyone so much for your critiques and feedback!

Hey Annie, woooow… simply awesome image!! I love your 50’s and 60’s advert style on the concept. The expression and pose for the teacher is superb!! cool! and really amazing dino!. You achived a great classroom atmosphere for the scene. The paper draw is a very funny touch !! (the dream of every child !! hahahahaha :smiley: )

Congratulations Annie for this really cool art work! And best of luck!!

double post

triple post … ? … :shrug:

Haha- thanks so much Fernando! I really had a lot of fun with this painting. It was a challenge to do something that does not encompass my regular theme or style. You were one of the people that was there right from the beginning, and I most definetely appreciate it! Thanks!

I’m glad to see you were able to finish this great image on time :slight_smile: .

I like the expression on the face of the girl you added last - truly wonderful :love: !
And funny story, too :smiley: !

Good luck with the voting :thumbsup: !

Wow, I’ve always wanted to bring my own dinosaur to school. My absolute winning fantasy. Congratulations on a great work.

funny stuff!this is every Kid’s dream!Congrats and good luck!

Well, I don’t know how I missed the email auto-message from CGTalk but, now that I have seen the final image (though quite late), I think it’s AWESOME! Great job with this piece Annie! Congrates. Love the kids and the Trex. The comp and dynamics have a very nice flow. I love details and that’s well represented in your painting.

:thumbsup:

Great funny one! Vey interesting style, well done :slight_smile:

hehe great funny piece…I am sure thr Rex is more interested in the boy than wanted the apple… :eek:

Well done
Cheers
Mark

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.