Stephano's Creature

:sad: Yea I know what you mean…! At least this is fun :slight_smile:

So I did some crack test on the mesh, took an image of cracked mud and made an alpha into zbrush and masked that area and extracted the tiles and messed around it… simple test, but with better textures and blending of the cracks to the skin, would look better…

your test looks promising…

Ill post the ref we had been working with …(its a mud mask) with very thin tiny cracks…that follow typology of skin…

we could always take the cavity map from a procedurllly generated disp…but

could you procedurally crack around edge loops etc…(will post what im talkign about in a couple hours)

This method could be usefull for the bigger patch cracks… Still having better texture photos to make alpha’s from would help tons and your mud mask Idea would be a great addition as well. The biggest thing is when the crack tiles are extracted from zbrush they have to be retopoed for better topology which might cause alot more work depending on how much we want to crack her… We could just do like major crack plates and then use your mud mask idea to capture alot of the fine detail, plus any other finer pore details or cracks etc… I was thinking about trying a procedural solution, but can’t think of any prodecural textures that could first off make the crack patterns we want let alone like you said flow with the topology of the mesh…We could still use procedural textures to capture alot of the fine bumpy detail found in dried cracked mud… Or she can have fleshy skin that is drying up into these cracks that are blood filled and you could use your sick vein designs into it… The way it looks is this is starting to lean towards more of a hard cracked statue, I still feel that the character shouldn’t lose its fleshy translucent skin…!

we were thinking a mudd mask…rather than plaster of paris thickness…

after doing initial testing…with mud masks we may have to do procedural AND get what we get on the shoot day…no easy answers on this one…

Miguel first asignment…! can you try to get a smaller crack procedurally?

The guys at Spectral Motion told me they would do a cast of the face…then go to town with shit on the mold and then turn that back into a cast latex peices…(i wanted secret recipe for cracks and didnt get one)…

With elbow grease…I think we can work out the cracks along the typology…using procedural…photo…some improve…and then send it back to z-brush

for crack reference go to

www.cgtextures.com

I may do a latex mold…too

the cracked mud texture will define my detail pass, I’ll have 8/9 mil polys at the final stage of her face detailing so no worrys for detail resolution.
the cracks won’t get topoed, if something mayor comes up then right but otherwise the resolution of my 4K dispmaps and render time subdivision will take care of it… photo based detailing is the way i detailed many of the creatures on the past, alpha stamping won’t work nice because is not takiung in consideration of a lot of things, photo and then carving based on it is the way to go for a high quality super detailed work that doesnt look flat… i would sculpt whe wrinkles and stuff i use alphas only for poring and material weathering.

more and more…Ripley told me to do a rubber cast…and that way…as the mudd is dring you can art direct the bendable rubber…as the mudd is drieing…

then take photos…

unless migel can do a bad ass procedural (maybe he cuts up the model so the cracks shape around edge loops)

Cgtextures is a pimp site…! Well I can already say before any test’s doing cracks procedurarly following the facial anatomy is a tough task, but I’ll look into anyway and see what is out there and what results can be achieved. We can us procedural stuff to get finer little details for bump-mapping. I think as stefano just said it will fall on him on the detail phase of the mesh and part photo-texturing, but the point is some form of the this mud cracking is possible to do. Just what route to take is the question… Big concern off the front is the whole route to take on the displacement mapping, For the sake of rendering and for the way my skin shader works I generally try to avoid render-time subdivision displacment mapping since this always tends to increase render time dramaticly and can cause various errors in the skin shading due to its sampling nature.

Very interesting Article… CrackTastic

i lost my previous reply so i gotta be brief…
The procedural approach has not much art directability, i would refrain from using it but as maybe a general wash of super fine crackles allover the place on top of the mayor ones, and on top of the fine poring/weathering whatsoever.
I’m planning on a multi matrerial setup, 12+ material should do for the whole thing
which comes with 12 4k maps for the details
we will need displacements because i’ll have 80+mil model after I am done to get to a photoreal look…
if they can render it on a linuxBox in production so can we

Agreed stefano, that is where the challenge lies in procedural textures is finding a way for it to be art directable and not by math… But they can serve there purposes at times… Yea I totally understand with the displacement, that its needed… I had put a little thing in the shader development thread awhile back on what I meant Displacement/Normal To me it seems a little crazy to have that many displacement maps running all at once to produce an effect… Not to mention the fact that I think mental ray or even maya would run out of memory calling 12 4k texures. Including the fact that doing render time subdivision displacement would cause the mesh to tessalte to some insane polycount anyway. Or the fact that now these 12 4k maps that are eating the memory away or the hugely tesslated render time mesh and the yet to be created textures paul will include, still need to be sampled by the shader for the skin rendering. With just the skin rendering alone will blow render times, and I know in the end if needed we can use renderfarms, but I still need to be able to some how do test renders to tweak the shaders. Not to sure how well that method will work in commercial renders like mental ray…?

Here are some wet/slime tests I was doing yesterday, this can work for blood etc…

I’ll send you the head of my girl as soon as i get it done, maybe i’ll throw a temporary dispmapset so we can start testing :slight_smile:
As far as i know the inmemory load of the maps is tile based so is hard to get more than 2 or 3 maps altogether in memory if we keep therender tile small enough,

WET tests look Awesome…coming together…

once we get textures…shit will take off!

we get a hot bump and disp in there…OMFG

she will be covered in slime (if Im not mistaken?)

As far as art directing procedurally…maybe we crack the face up into parts to vary the procedurals…? We doing alot of simms on 2012…but the hero stuff we had to hand cut…:frowning:

that too paul!

Yea the best Idea would be to test on your head and we can see how much we can start doing…!

Agreed… with your awesome textures and stefanos model and displacement, I’m gonna try to push the realism as far as we can. The more crap we can throw on this creature the more realistic we can make her…! I hope she will be covered in slime I think the slime with blood and other crap will be a nice mix…

Miguel…all these little tests you do…add up for a nice chapter on look dev…

lets get formal “Look dev” head together…with a formal…“HDRI sphere” to show lighting and a “material ball” to show nuetral material…at bottom right of screen…

I do like those things…that Julain uses on My mental ray.com for shaders (maybe we use those instead of spheres…(lets get the cross polyination going for mymentalray.com)

Also I will get you a “Monica Head” from the first book…with good maps…and the poor man’s SSS to build on…(which is what we used on the first book)

No reason this tests cant have a little art direction in them…and we should be using them in the chapters…(we need to redo crack test1…sss test…and slime test…with a good head i will get you around Sunday after shoot)…

Mental Ray look dev is the future…for creatures!

sounds great to me…! I got your monica head and I’ve been playing around with it, just doing some skin test as well with her. I like that idea of having a hdri map and material swatch in the corners to show what the tests are doing, this would be good to use different hdri maps and show the difference the maps can make to the tests… I’d rather use simple sphere samples, I’ve never been a huge fan of the overally complex render swatches. If you can make a simple sphere ball look good with a material, then you’ve accomplished something.

Yea we can do all these test over and use this stuff in the look dev section, that would be pretty awesome…! Just let me know what you have in mind and we can shoot for it.

:blush: The irony of that last statement is all the test’s you’ve seen so far have been done with maya’s software renderer, I haven’t even started to tap mental ray yet…

basic test with 2 directional lights and some fake hdri illumination, still needs a few maps that are not present yet… for example no occlusion or scatter lenght map etc…

you’ll have the bust of the woman out this WE
I’m a bit messed up right now!
anybody got a job for me?
need one ASAP!
ciao

S