Stephano's Creature - R&D | Shading

So I’ve been keeping my self busy building a test head based on stefanos creature for some skin shading tests. I’m gonna test out some layering as well for some glossy slime type stuff and maybe some metals for the jewelry that will be on the creatures helmet…

Here are two basic skin shader test’s, mainly just looking to get a feel for the skin and the light bleeding through the ears etc… No textures applied or any scattering maps dictating the thickness of the skin so this is the bare minimum, just lights and a shader with a fractal for the color…

Got through retopologizing the mesh for better rendering purposes. The biggest thing from any of the models that will use my skin shader, they will need to have the true modeling thickness on the parts of the character that light should bleed though. For example an ear will bleed light in real life due to its thin nature. So this is no different in rendering and the modeling, any bits on the character that you guys want to be highly translucent and light bleeding though it, simply pay close attention to its thickness. Still the shader can take into account a grayscale map that can dictate the thickness variations encountered in real life, for example lips versus the cheek bones can have different thickness areas and this texture map can cause these variations.

Some more test renders with the skin shader, has a few different spec maps and normal maps. Still no real bump map or scatter map, still pretty bare renders at the moment… Rebuilding the ear gave me better results when I modeled it’s thickness closer to that of a real life ear…

Doing some wet/slime test rendering… Layering different specular layers over the skin with procedural masks to give the illusion of wet coat of the skin… Still needs alot more research and more into testing how to apply the same technique into blood and other nasty stuff…

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.