Steampunk Myths and Legends Entry: Aleksander (Olek) Novak-Zemplinski

i put the first dude in. will work on some details on him. the rifle and that cart. maybe some cool boot…
time to get some sleep now. good night everyone!

This is looking great - a composition that focuses the drama, a colour palette that is working very well. :bowdown: You can finish :beer:

cool mith…cool image…amazing style. i love ur use of colour and brushes.

Nice entry! Composition is working really well. You’ve got some interesting design going on as well. I would love to see this finished as well.

hope you can make it in time! Because this is one of my personal faves… :slight_smile:

awesome perspective, really like the woman in red there.

This is looking great, I love the atmosphere and perspective also.

Hey

Looks good, and you still have some days left to finish it. :slight_smile: Personally I think you could improve it with adding some more cool colour to contrast the overall brown tone. Fx. where the sky reflects in the surfaces facing up.

Nice scene.

Good luck, Rasmus.

Thanks for word of encouragement to everyone.
Especially seeing that all of you are better than me! It’s a great learning experience.
Rasmus, thank you especially for your advice. I will definitely try to work on that.

Whoa…a remarkable image…Well done!

Aleksander that is really atmospheric and beautifully composed. I noticed the light rays were overdone on a previous version and it’s much better now. Love the style of the main character, but his left arm seems a bit long. Love the little figure of the woman - saying goodbye perhaps?

Great stuff. Interested to see where you will go from here.

I’ve worked on the ship - but still have to figure out a few things. I have reviewed my foreground character and blocked the rest of them. still a lot of work. Roger, thanks for kind advice.

Beautiful!!
You wait, more people are going to get into this.

Could you explain your process abit more. Am I right in thinking you use the pen tool to make selections which you adjust with curves/levels? I’ve not thought of this as an explicit drawing tool, but I’m very intriqued about the posibilities.

I worked a lot on the ship and here you can see the detail. I went nuts on the rivets - maybe a little too detailed. I would like to keep a little more loose than this.

Here you can see the latest progress. I defined the ship to a point of madness - i vow not to touch it again! :). I will focus on the rest of the characters now. But I still have to finalize the top part of the ship - the blimp. at then end I will go over the entire image and add a lot more interest to the background - but still very loose unlike the foreground elements.

Roger, yes I use curves quite a bit. I paint than adjust it , then pick the resulting colors to paint again. I also draw with lasso tool and then paint within selection. I experimented with using blending modes on brushes - but that’s really confusing sometimes. So I don’t like it that much. With curves you have much better control.
It’s all experimentation. I haven’t really settled on one a method yet - maybe never will.
Thank for your interest in my work! I really appreciate it.
This community is really great - people friendly and very helpful.

Roger, yes I use curves quite a bit. I paint than adjust it , then pick the resulting colors to paint again. I also draw with lasso tool and then paint within selection. I experimented with using blending modes on brushes - but that’s really confusing sometimes. So I don’t like it that much. With curves you have much better control.
It’s all experimentation. I haven’t really settled on one a method yet - maybe never will.
Thank for your interest in my work! I really appreciate it.
This community is really great - people friendly and very helpful.

Hooray, I get 2 posts! :wink:

The details are gorgeous!! And the warmth you’ve brought in is just lovely. This is becoming one of my favorites. It has such a heavy steam aesthetic and also something very Romantic. There’s a movie here for sure: a retelling of the Odyssey.

How do you paint all those rivets?

Absolutely gorgeous :thumbsup: Those details are just my taste in art :slight_smile: Hope you make it in time.

I am working on the main characters in the image. I will try to populate the background as well if it seems appropriate - will see. Here I am showing reference pictures I took for the right poses. I am not using them directly on the image but just trying to replicate the gesture.