Steampunk Myths and Legends Entry: Aleksander (Olek) Novak-Zemplinski

Aleksander (Olek) Novak-Zemplinski is entered in the “Steampunk Myths and Legends” update: View Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: Odysseus’ Departure

ughh! this is really late in coming but I guess having 5 things on my plate in the same time is the story of my life. :slight_smile:

This the very first thumbnail sketch i did really just for myself.
I want to show the moment of Odysseus’ departure leaving his home on Ithaca, his wife and his new born Telemachus.
The image is supposed to express the drama of the situation.

Here I am trying to figure out what the composition is all about. I did about 25 sketches like that and finally chose what the directions is - more or less.
I also did some tests of the design language I may use in the image.

Ok. I think this is what the composition will be. That’s super rough at the moment and something like that is really just for me. I just scribble on the “paper”, very quickly and loosely until I feel the thing flows the way I want.

This is a super quick thumbnail sketch I did actually before the last one. I missed it. I wanted to include it to show how the idea of the image is evolving.

I am composing the basic tones and lighting. In the same time I would like to decide how to frame the image. I feel it needs to be either horizontal or vertical.

vertical looks alright.
let’s see how the horizontal works.

and the horizontal.
before i get into design and steam punk stuff I really want to pin down the composition. once that works I’ll feel a lot more comfortable adding the details and designing elements.

working on the design. i am focusing on the Odysseus’ ship. As far as I know it has no name - but he’s going to war with Troy - so it is a military ship. I want to make it an original design but draw inspiration from Civil War ships, early submarines etc. It’s an air ship with a balloon keeping it floating so I am planning to add some armor on the balloon’s belly - how easy would be to shoot down a balloon - even in the steampunk fantasy world :). please, any comments welcome.

working on the design. i am focusing on the Odysseus’ ship. As far as I know it has no name - but he’s going to war with Troy - so it is a military ship. I want to make it an original design but draw inspiration from Civil War ships, early submarines etc. It’s an air ship with a balloon keeping it floating so I am planning to add some armor on the balloon’s belly - how easy would be to shoot down a balloon - even in the steampunk fantasy world :). please, any comments welcome.

Love the way this one looks. Especially like your airship design. Very unique but still captures the genre. Nice palette as well.
Can’t wait to see it finished!

hey, this is coming along nicely! I like the feel of departure and movement!
Also, the composition is working well. Hope you can finish it!

I love the design and I am glad you are thinking about things like armoring the balloon to keep it from popping. Great perspective. You might think of making a nice wrought iron railing for the walkway that is very decorative. Good luck!

finally I’m back on this. I thought I was going to stay up all night or something but I guess I’ll go to bed after all. I’ve been fussing around with the mechanical shapes above the walkway for a bit and then overlaid some of my photos of the Bradley Building interior to give some overall texture, so I am not working with just flat colors. It gets you in the mood I guess.

i’ve been listening to Vangelis’ Blade Runner music all day and it really gets you in the mood. i’ve been trying to “loosely” model the image all around by selecting areas and darkening or lightening them to bring out volumes - especially those in the background. I also cleared some of the background to see some sky - I think it helps the notion of departure - some air and freedom out there and congestion and darkness where Penelope stays.

superb lightning pal!!

it’s probably the image with the most depth imo…

great job!

really nice man :slight_smile:
keep it up !
A

here I am working on the character in the foreground. it is one of the Odysseus’ crew members. Trained bad ass killers. They are loading on the ship. I want the to have this Wyat Earp, Tombstone guys look - long black coats, hats - they mean business. The one in the foreground is pulling some ammunition cart and a rifle that I will have to define in a certain way. I have included some kind of railing per somebody’s comment - THANK YOU FOR THAT.

Way to go Aleksander!!!

Love the color!