STARWARS Episode2 - What a bad Movie...

i finally got the chance to see sw-ep2 on dvd.

incredible how bad this movie is, i couldnt believe it. it’s so clean, linear & banal. nothing to do with the good ol’ raw sw-movies.
these new episodes are a mixture of dallas-meets-the-denver-clan-meets-startrekforwankers-or-something.

its so overloaded & full of cg, how the hell can this be before the first 3 movies? every second shot is a boring dialogue in a room, hall. there is no real flow. one can really feel that everything is shot on bluescreen. it’s so synthetic. it looks like all people there are millionares, when you think of that yoda lives in a ghetto-slump on a lost planet in the first movies, which is much cooler than a stupid kungfu-jumping-yoda in a clean jedi-tower.
it seems as these new episodes are just about what ilm can do, but the story is really poor. the first sw-movies turned out that well, because lucas didn’t direct them himself.

i really wonder if ep3 will be as bad as ep1 & 2, but it cant get much worse.

i personally tend to agree, but you’re going to get some strong resistance from the community!

You won’t find any resistance here. New Star Wars in a word: Sterile.

I completely agree …

And for me, the worst part of this shit is the dialogues !!!

anyway, it’s very pleasant to see that even with so much, you can make so bad …

But, maybe its because I’ve never been a fan of SW…

Oh ! I almost forget, did you noticed the horrible anim ???
when -young- dark vador try to ride the beast !!! terrible…

Yeah that WAS bad :frowning:

Sterile…

It was ok…
I mean it couldve been better…
After seeing LOTR so many times everything is lack luster in comparison…
But it was ok…I guess…

Have you ever been told that ‘your too close to a piece of work to be objective’ because you have been staring at the same thing for months on end… !

Well George is too close.

The biggest failing so far with episode 2 throughout and in a few places in 1, is that they have all of this great technology and feel they have to use it. Episode 2 is so over cg, it could have stayed in development for an extra year and replaced all of the actors.

Don’t get me wrong I live for CG, but I like to watch a film and get lost in the story and depth of the thing, what I hate is being reminded on every 2nd shot that what I am looking is a cg generated scene.

When watching LOTR TT I only really thought of the cg in a couple of Helms Deep Shots. I think they have achieved this the old fashioned way by visualising what they want and then saying okay how do we do it. Where as I am sure that the ILM crew are doing it the other way. (‘hey George I have a neat thing here where can we use it’) :wink:

George wears too many hats, he writes the thing, has total approval of all conceptual content, pulls all of the technical strings at ILM and then pushes the movie wear he wants it to go.

I can’t help thinking if he wrote it, let someone else direct it and then let the director have a fresh look at execution the series would have been better. Instead what we are getting are 3 new show reels for ILM.

What a shame.

Thats my bit.

Vertex

Ah well call it star wars and I love it.

Oh did I mention I love eye-candy. I can understand that the bad acting and linear plot and the pathetic story…

but hey its STAR WARS!!

then again I loved Final Fantasy thought was a very clever and challenging story, that I don’t think the audience was ready for.

Originally posted by dark_lotus
[B]

then again I loved Final Fantasy thought was a very clever and challenging story, that I don’t think the audience was ready for. [/B]

which part??!

See thats what I mean, Final Fantasy was a great CG event, they spent a fortune in production ($6 million on aki’s hair) and then flopped at the box office failing to recover costs, because they too forgot about the importance of story and target audience.

They lost their focus in cutting edge cg.

Vertex:sad:

It’s amazing that the original fillms are as good as they are. Maybe it’s because Lucas had his old buddie Francis to help him out, or maybe it was his wife’s input, since she did a lot of the editing. Who knows.

But I happened to see More American Grafitti on cable the other night.

And I thought Lucas only just got bad recently.

I think it’s obvious from the making-of documentaries that George has a great eye, but that doesn’t mean he should be writing stories, which is what the new episodes really lack.

Even he’s talked about how much he hated directing on episode IV, and how he vowed to never do it again, but he must have forgotten.

Maybe it’s all that cash, or maybe it he’s distracted by that enourmous chin of his. But I think he should definitely do a directors cut of episode I and II, and insert a story. Maybe he could add a whole yoda voiceover or something?

Originally posted by vertex
[B]See thats what I mean, Final Fantasy was a great CG event, they spent a fortune in production ($6 million on aki’s hair) and then flopped at the box office failing to recover costs, because they too forgot about the importance of story and target audience.

They lost their focus in cutting edge cg.

Vertex:sad: [/B]

They got blinded by the lensflare

(sorry, couldn’t resist it)

snigger snigger

I loved final fantasy

I wish it wouldve done good so they would put out a second one…:scream:

>>But I happened to see More American Grafitti on cable the other night.

>>And I thought Lucas only just got bad recently.

Why did you think it was bad? American Grafitti was a great movie. So many great actors in there.

>>I think it’s obvious from the making-of documentaries that George has a great eye, but that doesn’t mean he should be writing stories, which is what the new episodes really lack.

Indiana Jones, Willow, Young Indiana Jones and American Grafitti are all really well written. I think the bad writing is just a recent development in EP 1&2.

We’ve been talking about this off and on since it came out. Bleh!!!:shame:

omg i think im the only one who really liked this movie :shrug: o well

According to a Biography I read, George Lucas had very little to do with “MORE American Graffiti.” The studio wanted a sequel because the first on was so popular – it cost so little and they made a boat load of cash. My memory is fading but I don’t think Lucas did much for that film except maybe, maybe give a story outline. It was a different director, different writer.

And Lucas didn’t write the Indiana Jones Trilogy, only story, I’m not sure about the Young Indiana shows, but I know he had a lot of help with American Graffiti and had 2 co-authors.

I agree, he’s too close and has too much control with the new star wars films. But why should he change? From his perspective – making hundreds of millions of dollars for Ep 1 & 2, two very poor movies – why should he stop? He knows that he can make any movie he wants no matter how bad, and still make tons of money. But I guess he doesn’t realize that if he gave up a little control to a talented Director/writer and spent time on the sent getting real performances he might be making box office and film history rather than becoming the subject of rants on bulletin boards across the internet.

Oh well, that’s my two cents.

Hooray for The Two Towers, VFX done right.

Originally posted by Tiburon3D
[B]According to a Biography I read, George Lucas had very little to do with “MORE American Graffiti.” The studio wanted a sequel because the first on was so popular – it cost so little and they made a boat load of cash. My memory is fading but I don’t think Lucas did much for that film except maybe, maybe give a story outline. It was a different director, different writer.

And Lucas didn’t write the Indiana Jones Trilogy, only story, I’m not sure about the Young Indiana shows, but I know he had a lot of help with American Graffiti and had 2 co-authors.

I agree, he’s too close and has too much control with the new star wars films. But why should he change? From his perspective – making hundreds of millions of dollars for Ep 1 & 2, two very poor movies – why should he stop? He knows that he can make any movie he wants no matter how bad, and still make tons of money. But I guess he doesn’t realize that if he gave up a little control to a talented Director/writer and spent time on the sent getting real performances he might be making box office and film history rather than becoming the subject of rants on bulletin boards across the internet.

Oh well, that’s my two cents.

Hooray for The Two Towers, VFX done right. [/B]

actually you are all very far off base on this one. Lucas isnt doing this because he knows he can produce any crap and make millions (though that is true) he is doing this for the same reason a 60 year old man goes out and buys a corvette. He is trying to recapture his youth. He is trying to discover again. He is like a kid with a set of legos, some glue, and a dremel…trying to see what he can do to make the old toys new.

If you think about it…no matter how crappy the new sequels are…they are awesome R&D for future projects!!! Go as far and overproduced as possible on these movies…then you can use the tech that was so crammed into them sparingly in future endevours!

These movies are basically his way of playing with everything he has wanted to play with and use his bad ass crew that he has had for all these years to expediate technology.

Did he have to use all CG bg’s?? No, but now it is known that it can be done convincingly if needed. Did the storm troopers all have to be CG…of course not, they werent in previous SW movies…but now they know that they can do it!!

SW 1&2 are basically a company that really wants to do some hardcore RnD but needs funding to do it!! You cant do as much as was done on those movies without making the money back…so you cram it all into a franchise that is KNOWN will make all the money back because there are enough die hard fans to pay for it, no matter how bad an eye candy fx show it is!!!

who knows maybe epi 3 will be completely animated!

thats about all thats left!

oh, and i thought Final Fantasy was an amazing movie!!! Great story, great characters…amazing visuals…it was just that america was not ready for an eastern style drama in animation form…sad really…it could have been a great push in the right direction!