Spline Patch & Splurf comment

I bought Spline Patch some time ago, and got Splurf recently. While Splurf is a lot like Spline Patch, I thought it would make the process easier because of its Spline Select function so I gave it a try.

I tried to model a Shelby Cobra using splines, and both plug-ins. Here are my conclusions:

While the idea of using splines to make complex models is attractive, it is nonetheless counter-productive. It takes a long time to build the model with splines, and control is not easy because you must work with points on individual splines only. You can’t work on several splines at once (in point mode). So it takes a long time to get something that works.

Then the problem is to make the polys using either plug-in. For some surfaces it works well enough, but as it gets more complex it brakes apart quite easily. Connecting all the patches in a multi-patch or connector patch does not always give very good results either. Also, you can quickly end up with a long list of splines and patches to go through in the object manager.

It is my opinion that there is very little use for these plug-ins, and modeling in polys is much quicker, much easier, and more straightforward. I would not recommend Spline Patch or Splurf at this point. They do what the developers advertise, but as I said before, it is a slow and difficult process compared to polys.

Others are welcomed to challenge this comment of course.

Why can’t you edit the points on multiple splines at once? Plugin limitation? If so maybe ask the developers if they can lift that.

It seems to work editing multiple points on second thought.

one quick edit to what you said about working with splines you can edit separate points on separate spline objects at the same time, just select all the spline objects you wish to work one go to point mode and in the editor you’ll see all their points. select a point on two different splines and adjust their tangents and you’ll see both objects are adjusting at the same time.

I do want to say it might be a little misleading to refer to these plugins in your comments (unfair to the developers I should say) Your comments have nothing to do with their plugins, but with your opinion on NURBS patch modeling as thats generally the way it is in any app (some additional tools for stitching and such, but the nightmare of dealing with CV points on separate objects, converting to polygons at some point etc all are what comes with NURBS particularly if your not experienced with that type of modeling, and what your trying to model

Not to say your comments are wrong or mean, just that its more of an issue with they type of modeling and not the plugins. Some people have wanted spline patch modeling for ages. Myself in fact, my first tutorial I ever wrote was on modeling a head in cinema with the bezier patch object

I don;t mean to be unfair to the plug-ins or developers. I did mention that the plug-ins work as advertised. My point is more on the modeling with patches versus polys. After a great deal of work and experimentation with patch modeling, I don’t believe that it is a productive way to model.

I had previous experience with patch modeling in Animation Master as well, which was more intuitive than modeling with separate splines.

For those who need to model with patches, Spline Patch and Splurf really work. But my personal experience shows me that modeling with polys is much faster and easier overall.

Seems that you are right about being able to work on several splines in point mode at the same time. I don’t know why I did not realized this before. Might make the modeling a bit easier.

I don’t want to sound too harsh on the plug-in developers themselves. Their products are working fine and are not very expensive. But to be efficient in production they need some improvement. For example, instead of creating separate patches from splines it sould create one single object from a series of splines (children of the patch object). This would improve workflow quite a bit.

Also, the big problem with patches (and it was a problem also with Animation:Master when I used it) is the difficulty in creating smooth surfaces. This is amplified by having to use the multi-patch/connector paradygm in the plug-in, which does not always produce smooth transitions between the patches.

In the past, I put an image online showing my initial results with Spline Patch.
http://homepage.mac.com/primitivx/.Pictures/WIP/cobra-patch.jpg

Here is a render of the new splines for the Cobra for my second test:
http://homepage.mac.com/primitivx/.Pictures/WIP/cobra_splines.jpg

It shows that it does work. But again, the amount of work to get that result way exceed what could be accomplished using polys and HyperNurbs.

I think thats why at least in terms of organics, we’ve seen polygons (and now highres sculpting systems displaced onto polgyons) become the norm. way back the only way to get a highres mesh like that was with nurbs.

While the idea of using splines to make complex models is attractive, it is nonetheless counter-productive . . .

Their products are working fine and are not very expensive. But to be efficient in production they need some improvement

I had big expectations regarding patch-modelling when Spline Patch came out.

I use to build up the shape of my models with splines (a kind of “conceptual 3d
drawing”) so I thought it would be perfect to have a tool to connect them with
a couple of clicks instead of havin to build up a polygon mesh

But my experiences are similar to Primitive´s. In many not to say most of
the cases I return to poly-modelling.

I dont know if Patch Modelling has been tapped to its full potential by the plugins
yet or if there is still some room for improvement . . .

• Regarding multiple point selection on separate splines : Is this a feature
        implemented in R 9 ? - cant do it with 8.5.

I used to want to model in this way, found it frustrating as well, I own spline patch also. I am now using Modo with C4D, and I just bought a great set of videos from Luxology that showed spline cage modeling. After seeing it being done, I am excited at giving it a go again.

-Jim

Somebody’s gotta say a good thing:). I use Spline Patch to work on ship model hulls that are made up of splines. Of course the main tool is Loft Nurbs but this is kinda nice for making small changes where there are abrupt changes that the Loft Nurb ‘dosn’t play well with’.

Please take a look at the new release. You can now make patches from 3 splines and the new Patch Creator tool simplifies the patch creation. There are some more improvements of the interface, the workflow and the quality of the polygon meshes.

www.c4dplugin.com

Just bought my update!

Well done!

Rainer

Hi
I suppose you remember my Splurf thread, and I must repeate what I said. Why do you use Spline tools for “fine touching” model? These tools are fanstastic for “basic mesh” creating, not a for finetouching, I mean. It is not effective.
If I present on my lessons a “cup of coffee” creating, I made basic mesh by lathe nurbs object and Sweep nurbs object. than I convert both part to poly and made connection between them, fine touching etc… First step - splines, second step - poly mesh modeling.
Spline tools work same, I think…

Pavel

Hey Klaus, great news!

Ordered, paid and downloaded my copy. But the serial doesnt seem to work with the update. Am I doing something wrong or is a new serial needed for R 2.0? (I´m on R10, G5, OSX 10.4.8)

Edit: Got my new serial, as usual to impatient

Thanks!

I think the problem is that such Patch plugins have to work with the spline tools in C4d.
There is no way of creating surface continuity accurately, or to match the end point’s tangents of 2 splines together.

You should get an email with your new serial pretty soon. I ordered my upgrade last night and had the email in the morning.

What I’d like to see are some C4D-specific spline patching tutorials! :thumbsup: Anybody who comprehends these things more than me want to give it a shot?

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.