:::speed of editing Polymesh:::

Hello there!

this trouble follows me for the 2-3 years…

my own efforts did not give any effect, so finally I decided to ask a help from all of You…
Well, trouble is that while modeling the polymesh object in max, after 5.000 faces (with Meshsmooth iteration:1 included) my speed of modeling decrease as hell!! and it becomes almost impossible to finish any works…

my config is p4 1.7 mzh, with gf2 mx400 grafic crad, and the 512 ddr ram…
( I use Direct-x9 grapic mode)
but I opened my scenes in comp with dual athlon, 1GB of ram, and Quadro fx 740GL…

I shocked down with resuslts… they are almost the same… very very slow…

I mainly use poly by poly modeling method, My modifier stack looks like:

Editable Poly -> Symmetry -> Meshsmooth

if I’m modeling with “show end result” toggle switched on, then it takes 2-3 seconds (sometimes even more) Max to move down little bit Vertex, Edge or Polygon…
if swith toggle of during modeling, then I must switch it on-off again and again to control my mesh…

I can’t understand, is this some kind of trick, or maybe think that I don’t know so far…
or You, Maxers, are full of patience ?
Or are other 3d packages like Maya XSI or LW faster than Max ?

Or how people can do that, while my PC and Max can just very hardly open the scene
http://67.15.36.49/ffa/meshes_v2/medieval/dan_harms01/model_main.htm

I’m very very down, help me anybody please!

Hey ray-f.

The problem you are describing is in fact one of the biggest issues with Max today. If you go through the different posts on this board you will see that alot of the stuff people are complaining about is in fact speed at high polycounts. The main problem is that alot of the core code in max is way old and hasnt been re-written since the start. It desperately needs this to compete with other high end packages out there today.

To answer your last question; yes XSI and MAYA is faster when it comes to working large polycounts.

Cheers, Media.

hey bud

meshsmooth naturally slows down your process so i select the polys i’m not working on at the time and hide selected in my edit poly. I also model mostly with no meshsmooth and switch meshsmooth on to see the result.

well, i got great news for u. someone i met in a vray forum created a tool to help just in that situation. It is a script that detaches part of the mesh, so the meshsmooth modifier only affects a small portion of the object. Normally, when u move a vert with meshsmooth on, the whole modifier must be recalculated for every single vert in the object. This script prevents it. I have tried it and it worked wonders on my high poly cars. i couldnt be asked to finish my models because max was too slow, even if parts of the mesh were hidden. This solved it. The script, however, is yet to be publicly available. I must consult the creator and do not wish to give out any copies of the file without his permission, since he may turn this into money making operation. Leave your email address and i can get back to you with some more info.

!! that’s frkn Brilliant !!

definately keep us posted about this!!!

Usually I’ll model with the meshsmooth modifier off, and only toggle it on to see the results. Not ideal by any means (and it was not necessary in the days of Max3).

Another thing that can help is to put the symmetry modifier above the meshsmooth modifier. It seems to be quicker to duplicate and flip the already smoothed geometry than to smooth the whole model. This can affect the curfature of the middle of the model a bit, but it does help a lot.

As a lot of people have said, it’s quicker to display an editable mesh than a poly model (meshsmooth always works in poly mode), so it can speed up the display to put a ‘turn to mesh’, ‘edit mesh’ or ‘mesh select’ modifier on the top of the stack. But that only helps display the model if you are navigating the viewport, it doesn’t really help if you’re editing the model.

I really hope Discreet make a massive improvement to the speed of poly objects and meshsmooth in the next version or they’re going to lose out on even more customers.

Your processor is pretty small by todays standards 1.74 MHz compared to 3 GigHz. If you have the money you could update to a dual processor rig, that would speed thing up a bit :slight_smile:

I dont even like to manipulate a model with smooth preview, I do all my moving in a straight wire then then take a peak while its smoothed.

In the meantime check your HD is defraged and switch off all the plugins you are not using while modeling as this can make Max top heavy.

cpu power has nothing to do with viewport performance.

a gf4mx400 is not doing anyone any favors. the mx400 cards are slightly updated geforce2’s. this is what is the real problem. for performance comparisons of different generations of game cards, check here [color=White](hint: the mx400 is 3rd from the bottom)[/color][color=White].[/color] when you add meshsmooth to a model and continue editing the control cage the combination of wires and smooth shaded display will bring a low level card like this quickly to its knees.

look in to a card based off of at least a geforcefx5700 to satrt (about $100.00)

thats not 100% correct. when you are modeling you are changing the geometry and that has to do with the CPU power !

You are right when you are just rotating and paning the viewport…

… and a highend graphic card needs a fast cpu too to show its full strength.

Try to apply EditMesh modifier over Meshsmooth, this can speed-up viewport perfomance a bit. I heard discreet are working on some subdiv algorithms updates for max 7, maybe at last we will see so needed update? Or I will start to look at xsi… nice app :wink:

I’ve allready started… :buttrock: xsi is very promising so far :thumbsup:
i will not even touch the max until the 7th realease :twisted:

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.