Spectacular - FAQ/Answers/Questions

carlos huante shud be on the jury.

t3logy

no u can’t use old pics,must be completly original.

when posting milestones u just have to post a lil description of what u’ve done,u don’t have to type an essay explaining everything you did.

Post as many as u can,not too much though what i mean by that is,don’t post a pic where u’ve coloured the face,then make a seperate update where u’ve justed added an eyebrow,its pointless,wait until u have something worth showing

its completely up to you how u post ur progress,whether its screenshots or a part of the image.

[b]Baron Impossible

[/b]Hey there. I'm also on dial-up and have maybe less of the same problem.

Let me explain.

That’s the site where most people get free hosting for their images.
It means you are getting bad connectivity to it and it’s not downloading the images :argh:
It’s either your setup or your ISP’s fault.
Mine sometimes just doesn’t download and I have to keep refreshing until it all does.
You can also try an Internet accelerator.

It also takes a little while to download here.
I think it also has to do with dial-up and connectivity.
Because it’s “fancy” it takes a while to download.

About the two Finns, I think they should get their coats too.
    Again I'm not wearing one :D

Cheers,
    --JC

spinn99 - Ah, so that’s what imageshack is. Thanks, I thought it might be something to do with this site :slight_smile:

lol sorry Pasi :smiley: well I was basically asking if there was a rule of it… because if there isn’t, I’m gonna use my own techniques and if someone doesn’t like it, not my fault.

Thank you for respose. To make certain I am understanding: I cannot take the hands from the image i created of Jess to use in image for the spectacular. Correct?

Tx,

La’Dene

lol,well u cud of if u didn’t just tell everyone heh…

nah i’m sure lil things like that don’t matter.

You just said lil, what are you up to noob…:curious:

Can I use the/a concept posted in my 2D enty, but not used, in my 3D entry (if I decide to try that one)?

Can i ask how come there are no wacom prizes this year? its a big downer especially on the 2d side.

ah well maybe next time :deal:

Is retouching of the rendering allowed by e.g. Photoshop?

Hi. Sorry if someone already asked about it.
I have a unfinished work in a (WIP/Critique: 3D Stills) section. can i use its objects and character for this chalenge? what if i delete my (WIP/Critique: 3D Stills) thread ? then is it possible to use it?

I acutally sat though 12 pages of this FAQ to make sure I don’t repeat any questions…ugh.

This post did intrigue me though…

To which this was the response…

As everyone is equating ‘spectacular’ around excitement and energy (in this case “whoooaaa”…Can I ask about a possible 3rd option??

#3-um…uh…wow…that’s pretty messed up…damn

Basically my entry is going to be a bit static, really drawing in on emotion that is produced AFTER an event…but is still significant nonetheless…

Just wondering if that with my painting being of that nature…not so much out of the ordinary as a significant emotive scene…would that be acceptable.

Good luck to all the other entries!

lol its ANYTHING U THINK IS SPECTACULAR

its like u guys want everyone to tell u exactly what to make

its kinda funny cos this challenge really doesn’t have much boundries,and it seems in order to produce good art,artists need boundries

i think we’ve all learnt a lesson here :smiley:

[/short rant]

hope i helped… :blush: hehe

You have helped. Thank you. I’m was stuck interpreting the mission. A minimum of 20 starts, and still flapping around like a fish out of the stream. As the gentleman asked, my topic may not be one of the “Whoa! You should have been there!” as much as “Thank All That Is you were’nt there!” I understand the emotives, and that is where I headed. Not certain what the judges will be after. I’m looking forward to go back sort of thing.

Thanks again for the kick in the rear to jump start.:wise:

T3

I have a unfinished work in a (WIP/Critique: 3D Stills) section. can i use its objects and character for this chalenge? what if i delete my (WIP/Critique: 3D Stills) thread ? then is it possible to use it?

No. You must make everything for the challenge during the challenge :slight_smile:

Is retouching of the rendering allowed by e.g. Photoshop?

Most definately!

Can I use the/a concept posted in my 2D enty, but not used, in my 3D entry (if I decide to try that one)?

Yes, you just can’t use the same concept in both - if you change your 3D concept, then use the old concept for your 2D WIP, that’s fine.

I cannot take the hands from the image i created of Jess to use in image for the spectacular. Correct?

Correct.

1. Is it possible to use my resulting artwork for my commercial project promotion?
    2. May I use characters and enviroments from my commercial project, even if the answear to question #1 is “no”.
  2. Am I allowed to use PC only for final image coloring and processing, and draw concept lineart and greyscale shading variants on paper?

#1: It doesn’t seem to go against the terms and conditions
#2: No.
#3: That sounds OK, as long as the bulk of the WIPs are PC-based.

specific 3D question: can we reuse already made topology? i mean, i have general head topology i made myself, and if i need bony face, i just tweak vertices around, and voila, here it is (well, this is not so straightforward as it actually is, but i’m making the long story short). the same goes for hands, ears, etc. i of course could do that silently, and nobody could tell whether models were made from scratch or from template, but anyway, is this legal? i’m talking about reusing my own models only.

You shouldn’t, no.

1. I read earlier on in this thread that FTP is not up yet. I’m not looking for a specific date or anything, but perhaps a rough estimate of when it will be up - I know i’ll be away for a couple of weeks for work, so if it conincides with the submission deadline - obviously I would have to finish my work earlier and be able to upload it.

It will probably be up a few weeks (3-4?) before the end of the challenge. If you have everything ready (print-res TIFF and all) a few days before you go away, email me and we can sort out an alternative upload strategy for you. Make sure there’s enough time for me to check you’ve done everything though!

1. Regarding the minimum pixel measurements on images. I assume that it should always adhere to the minimum pixel dimension of the orioentation of the canvas? For example if i want to make a tall, narrow picture, the width should still be a minimum of 2657 pixels?

The real thing we want is for the pixelcount to be “high”. The example sizes are enough to print an A4 page with good quality; if you double one dimension, half the other, etc. etc. and you’ll be fine. We don’t want 800x600 final TIFFs though :slight_smile:

Hi there,

I just wanted to know if all images we post to our thread have to be milestones.
The consequences being that I wanted to have some modelling steps for the official submission 

hosted on a free server (previews?) without submitting them as milestones?

Or to we have to submit every image on the competition thread as a milestone?

I’m currently hosting something remotely that I don’t really want to submit as a milestone (just yet?)
I’d rather prepare a better comp with all my modelling steps

I just wanted to know if this is OK and I'm not disqualifying myself?
 I can fix it preety quickly :D

As long as you have at least one of each milestone uploaded to the challenge server, you’re fine.

Ones uploaded anywhere else don’t count towards the requirements and don’t appear on the challenge “View Entries” area.

Thanks Mibus, I’ll post some WIPS along the way then :smiley:

I’ve seen some updates that could be clasificated like “Incredibles”, I mean, something irreal. This confuses me, 'cause I read in the terms and conditions that must be something within the limits of the possible. This implies that it can be something unreal but possible?, or is due to become attached strictly to the reality?:shrug:
so, can I add something “irreal” even my concept is based on the real history?

How can I get a thumb of my project on the forum page?