Spectacular - FAQ/Answers/Questions

Mibus:
There’s been a claim over in my entry thread (middle-low part of the page) that my new concept for too much like andreja concept. Frankly, the only thing similar that I see is the fact that they both have a character in the air, but maybe I’m missing something: do you think they are too similar? :shrug:

LexLe, that’s fine.

ArtisticVisions, I think gardogg was just pointing out a vaguely similar entry so you knew not to get caught with something similar; at this point I don’t see any real similarity at all.

FTP info is out - http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/spectacular/final_image.php

The countdown clock only goes to the start of December 5th GMT, right? If one were desperate, couldn’t one still be submitting entries for 24 hours after the clock expires?

All entries must be submitted by Midnight at the end of 05 December 2005 (GMT)

Or is the clock just off by a day?

Off by a day - thanks for pointing that out :slight_smile:

mibus,

i had uploaded my .rar file yesterday using freshftp. it ‘seemed’ to go okay. today i thought i would go onto the competition site to check and it says that i have not submitted the final image file. is there any way you can check that.

if i havent sent it properly then perhaps someone could write a little tutorial on how to upload an image to the competition site address using a freely available (to everyone) ftp program?

show us how you did it: what text/addresses etc go where. stage by stage.
As i tried to reupload my file again just before coming here and this time i got errors in my ftp program.
all the best,
chrismoose101.

I think its becouse you havent submitted your final image as a milestone(jpg). But it seems weird not to get any confirmation on the transfer of the “.tiff” file? Submit the final image the usual way(as a milestonein your thread) and i think that’ll solve it! :slight_smile:

First time entering a CG challenge- exciting stuff!

Can use a piece of my own existing artwork within my challenge piece, as part of a the BG. Its a piece of digital graffiti I did at the begining of this year and I havent shown it to anyone yet???

TKS

Mr MEEN

chrismoose101: Use a ZIP file instead of RAR and let me know if you still have trouble :slight_smile:

Mr. Meen: No. All art in the challenge should be made during the challenge.

Mibus,

I right clicked my Tiff, -send to comperessed (zipped) folder. this time allowing it to be a .zip file instead of a .rar file. sooo… i now have a .zip file ready to go at about 6mb.

i do the same freshftp setup using the challenge.com address, the password etc. and i am getting an error in the ftp program.

maybe it is me and my ftp program or maybe something on your side. If it is on my side then again, perhaps someone could detail how they successfully uploaded thier image zip file to the comp’ site.

regards.
chris.

Hi! In instructions page (‘Your Mission’ subtitle) is written “…Each challenger should provide an accompanying written description of their scene…”; where is needed to send that written description, and in what format file should be? Thanks!

maybe it is me and my ftp program or maybe something on your side. If it is on my side then again, perhaps someone could detail how they successfully uploaded thier image zip file to the comp’ site.

Hi Chris - you have to use the filename that’s given to you. I’ve renamed yours, and it works fine :slight_smile:

Hi! In instructions page (‘Your Mission’ subtitle) is written “…Each challenger should provide an accompanying written description of their scene…”; where is needed to send that written description, and in what format file should be? Thanks!

That’s a very good question :). You should put in the “Notes” field for your Final Image upload. I’ll adjust the submissions page so it’s clearer.

mibus,

so thats it? the tiff is uploaded? all my wips are uploaded and im finitoed?!

thanks very much.

regards,

chris.

It sounds probable. I’ll be sending out emails to all “completed” challengers, starting from later this week.

Did you enter your story in the “Notes” field of the final JPG submission?

Did your FTP’d image have a thumbnail show up on the “Upload Final Image” page?

Hello worthy admins,

Please could you explain to me the difference between a Final Colouring WIP milestone and the Final Image. I realise that this will vary from entrant to entrant and that an answer is not exactly vital, but some kind of definition would be helpful to me.

Many thanks in advance.

The Final Image just has whatever “finishing touches” or “polish” you want to add.

thankyou for your swift reply! scampers off to buy polish

hi mibus,

sorry for the delay. yes the tiff image is there and i have completed all my story bits and final image submission. so thats me done then. thanks for everything.

regards,

chris.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but does your final image HAVE to be at least 2657 pixels across? Will you get marked down if you render it at, say, 2000 x 2500?
Truth be told, my image looks ugly as hell in an extremely high resolution, and my computer is creaking under the processing strain just to calculate reflections and shadow maps!
Could i submit a slightly lower resolution render and still be judged fairly?

Cheers.

All systems go and image was uploaded succesfully.

Question: When i got to the uploading instructions – hostname, password, etc. What about the file name? Do I have to use the file name in the instructions page or is that an example. They do say follow these instruction presicely, this threw me off.

Also what’s the rule on entering more than one image?

Thanks

Hello - i submited a wrong image to WIP section any chance to have it fixed?? cheers!!
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=273740&page=9&pp=15
post-> http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=2838104&postcount=127
should be an http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=2838104&postcount=128 image