Spectacular - FAQ/Answers/Questions

Does my lineart milestone have to be of…or a variation of my final WIP?

Cheers

actually when i reduce the image size and resulution its fine…but i just cant get it smaller then 150 without making it very small (like 400px)… and even when i do that its still like 300kb so id have to make the quality of the jpeg really low and it just looks horrible.

what steps do you take when your compressing your images? agh this is the first time ive ever really had to compress my stuff and keep it looking good so i have no idea what to do. sigh

thank you all for helping me, your all awesome!
takk
shramír

I hope this does not start a flame war or something,
but what about using Poser ONLY for rigging and cloth simulation on models I do outside Poser? Or is Poser excluded for anything and everything? I want to be on the safe side…

i dont know why i hadent thought to do this earlier but i looked online for ways to make a quality compression out of your psd and i found out how! yay

haha

after reducing the file size as a psd, i had been trying to save as a jpeg and reducing the quality when converting to jpeg but i read that its good to save using “save for web” and mess around in there instead…
i dont know if thats what all you other guys do but that seemed to work pretty well, so thanks again to all that helped me!
:applause:

bless bless
shramír

Q: Are we allowed to use web downloaded textures?
A: Yes, but they will have to be modified to suit your image. If stock textures are recognised there may be a penalty by the community and the judges, consciously or unconsciously.

Does this also mean that commercial textures (like say the 3D Total CD’s) are allowed?

/Anders

Does my lineart milestone have to be of…or a variation of my final WIP?

The lineart milestone should be a step in the progress between concept art and the coloring phase.

after reducing the file size as a psd, i had been trying to save as a jpeg and reducing the quality when converting to jpeg but i read that its good to save using “save for web” and mess around in there instead…

You should always use “Save for Web” for images you are putting somewhere else; Photoshop has some slightly unusual things it does with JPEG images if you just do “Save As” which can confuse many browsers. We run it through a number of file filters to remove most of it, but it’s always advisable anyway.

but what about using Poser ONLY for rigging and cloth simulation on models I do outside Poser? Or is Poser excluded for anything and everything? I want to be on the safe side…

Only using Poser to generate models is disallowed.

Can I use textures (in 2D image) in overlay mode to make bark (on trees), instead of painting it ?

I won’t be mad if someone could answer me :slight_smile:

How do I enter?

Okay I’m a total newbie here-

I entered the challenge, now how do I post my WIPs? Do I need to creat a new thread in the WIP section of CGTalk or do I post to the thread I have in the Challenge section?

If I post to the thread that was created for my entry in the challenge section, how do I post an image to it and have it show up as a thumbnail in the thread listings? I posted one WIP, but my listing is still showing the CGTalk logo.

You enter here:
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/spectacular/enter.php

Submit your work here:
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/spectacular/submit_entry.php

If you don’t use the second link to submit your art, your WIPs won’t be counted and you may be disqualified.

Can I use textures (in 2D image) in overlay mode to make bark (on trees), instead of painting it ?

If you make the textures, definately. If you’ve gotten them from somewhere else, you really should modify them first.

From the FAQ:

Q: Are we allowed to use web downloaded textures?
A: Yes, but they will have to be modified to suit your image. If stock textures are recognised there may be a penalty by the community and the judges, consciously or unconsciously.

This may be a bit of a nebulous question, but I am a little unsure as to how to interpret the difference between the ‘instructions’ page and the examples given in the ‘inspiration’ page.

Let me explain.

All the examples given in the inspiration page depict scenes that are captured on camera, one-off, chance in a million situations. They suggest that the image is from the POV of the narrator or cameraman, ie 1st person views

The instructions page on the other hand makes no such specific requirement, infact it encourages us to push past the commonly understood meaning of the theme - “Artists are encouraged to think beyond traditional or conventional interpretations of the theme.” so that suggests to me images of spectacular things from impossible POVs; views that are unattainable in real life.

It seems that most works being submitted are from a 3rd person POV, rather than a 1st person. I guess this isn’t a major issue, but I wonder if the believability of the POV is considered as part of the judging criteria? Are the judges looking to see the emotion of the ‘viewer’ of a scene, or is the scene itself supposed to evoke the emotion in the viewer? OR does it not matter, and we are free to do either… ?

Discuss! :shrug:

(maybe I am reading too much into things :slight_smile: )

My understanding of the challenge is that entries should be based on probable events. Is the use of symbolism allowed? For example just to use a well worn cliche, depicting an angel…

Hi there,

Just wanted to know if we can submit wips to our competition entry
labelled as milestones?

This has already happened to me, but mostly due to my lack of experience?
Sometimes you want to update something you already submitted as a milestone,
and so the previous entry becomes a WIP.

So I just wanted to know if we can spam all our wips as milestones or
we need to be more careful there?
Will the judges take it against you? If so, is it a big mistake?

(maybe I am reading too much into things :slight_smile: )

:slight_smile:

Do what you like - the inspiration page is just some stories & images to get you thinking.

Is the use of symbolism allowed?

Of course :slight_smile:

Just wanted to know if we can submit wips to our competition entry
labelled as milestones?

That’s precisely what you’re supposed to do :thumbsup:

what if we made our final image by merging our two concept sketches?like working on my charectors of first sketch and i change my background to my second sketch??

Not sure if this has been answered yet-

I’ve seen a few dragon illos or fantasy illos, but they can’t be part of history because they never existed. What’s the deal with that? I’ve read the instructions over, but either people found loopholes or didn’t read the rules fully, because I’m confused!

Hi
I’m entered in the challenge and I wanted to ask if it was possible to change the composition or add a new final concept sketch after modelling- same concept but just moving figures around in the composition. I started submitting modelling milestones already but I’m not happy yet with the placement of the characters. Is there a penalty for that? Thanks.

what if we made our final image by merging our two concept sketches?like working on my charectors of first sketch and i change my background to my second sketch??

That’s fine.

I’ve seen a few dragon illos or fantasy illos, but they can’t be part of history because they never existed. What’s the deal with that? I’ve read the instructions over, but either people found loopholes or didn’t read the rules fully, because I’m confused!

It’s not so much that it has to be actually real, it has to be ‘believably’ real. Dragon’s aren’t real, but they sure look it if you see them in a movie - same general idea.

I’m entered in the challenge and I wanted to ask if it was possible to change the composition or add a new final concept sketch after modelling- same concept but just moving figures around in the composition. I started submitting modelling milestones already but I’m not happy yet with the placement of the characters.

That’s totally fine.

i have started modeling .i m confused with my concept now after reading a reply in my post.my concept is:-
I have depicted a pregnant women holding a leaf
in one hand and Scissor in the other.The leaf signifies
life and the scissors sumthing that can stop or cut the very
flow of life.In the background i wanted to show crows playing
depicting death evrywhere.Basically thats the irony of her beauty
n her power to give life and take.She is very sensitive towards her
environment (which is depicted by hair covered body).
My attempt is to have a spiritual meaning attached to it.

And in my reply somebody repld me:-
I really like your concept and the final concept image :bounce:
but … I don’t see exactly the relation to the topic of the challenge :sad:

Where is the spectacular moment ?.

Now i m confused pleas tell me.Am i going wrong with the concept?or my concept is out of topic.?? what is spectacular moment??which u can c with ur eyes??or u have seen in the moveis??why emotions can not be spectacular??I just want to picturise emotion felings. pleas give me answer as detailed as u can this will be a great help for me.i think my concept is difrent but now i m confused i m on right track or not?
(sorry for my bad english)