Spectacular 3D Entry: Ted Terranova

Hi Ted,

Great Job! But I agree with Carl-mikael, the glow looks a bit off to me. It could be that it’s a bit too uniform, more like a fog than a glow. I think it should change the look of the objects infront of it – a little more obscured and lighter – and possibly reduce the brightness and saturation of objects in the glow’s corona. Kind of like looking at a carbon arc light, everyhting around it gets darker.

Just my two cents. Other than that this is a killer piece! You should feel very proud!

I thought I’d post some of the alphas that I used to do the post work. I use MAX’s elements a lot. My favorite is probably Zdepth.

I got some great feedback about the glow so I rendered out the scene again with just the lights where the glow would be. I made everything white and had no ambient or any other light sources. This generated a great alpha channel that I used to get the more realistic lighting and effects. It’s really fun having lots of alphas to load as selections. I’d also recommend combining and subtracting one alpha from another to get interesting selection areas. Thanks again for the crits.

Here is the latest post work. The feedback has been invaluable. Thank you to everyone who helped me so far. I reworked the boiler fire glow. The lighting is more accurate and I tried to give it a more realistic heat look. Lots of layers in Photoshop :slight_smile:

SONIC-X, (o)ne, Nomad - thanks for the compliments guys.

Rivendale - Great crit again. I tried just painting in the glow fire the first time. You were right about the look and the light on the other objects. Hope you like the new version. Thanks again for the great crits. They’ve really helped the image.

mmoir, sergioKomic, Zapan - Thanks for the kind words everyone. I think I’m gonna finish up soon :slight_smile:

harryb - Thanks for the crit. I’m glad that you and Rivendale brought up the glow. I think it looks a bit better now. I rerendered an alpha of just the glow lighting and I think it helped a lot. Thanks again for the great crit.

This is Fresh image . Cool composting.
good luck~

myspectacular
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=293629&page=2&pp=15
myhome
www.hodings.com

Very good style and concept. :thumbsup:
Good job, and the fire is really cool :cool:

You are doing an amazing job. My only suggestion would be to add some blur and desaturation as the eyes travel up to the top of the robot. This way one will feel the illusion of distance and atmospheric effects moreso.

very nice work and so good idea.I like the lighting and rendering.:love:

it`s wonderful:scream:

it’s coming out really amazing!! good luck to the final

While searching through the archives of the Royal British Navy I made a Spectacular discovery. I had uncovered the long forgotten field reports for a prototype war machine developed by the Yorkshire Iron Works.

Apparently the British navy was concerned with the widespread use of railways and motorcars to transport goods and military material. The admiralty feared that with a lessening importance in naval commerce the British navy’s role in future conflicts would be reduced so they decided to develop a land ship! I found no plans for this war ship but there was a single rendition of the great machine quelling a rebellion in one of Britain’s Far East colonies. One can see its massive arms smashing through the walls of the local stronghold; the rebelling forces cringing before it’s might. Designed in the tradition of great British warships, the captain and officers rode high atop the vehicle, directing the combat from ornately decorated balconies befitting their status. Lower down the machine was built of simple riveted iron armor. Huge pipes twisted together to harness the massive steam pressures generated by the monstrous boilers that moved the great machine. The crew in these lower levels was not as lucky as the officers above. Here they either shoveled coal into the great furnaces or manned the gigantic long-range cannons. It must have been a fearsome sight on the battlefield.

Amazingly enough it was politics, which sealed the fate of this engineering marvel. The Royal Mounted Cavalry refused to accept a machine into their ranks. Documents show that they felt man and horse had always controlled land battles and a huge, loud, lumbering monstrosity had no place on the modern field of battle. As a result the project was closed. The only prototype was dismantled while all plans and records of the endeavor were archived so as not to attract criticism.

I can only imagine how history might today be different had this great work not been dismissed. We have only one spectacular image with which to imagine what if was like to stand before this massive machine of war.

It is finally done. Thanks to all who helped me get this image finished. The advice and crits I got on these boards was critical to getting this project done. Thanks for all the great advice and suggestions. I hope you all like the final image and the story. Good luck to you all. See you at the next challenge :slight_smile:

congratulations on the final… very spectacular! … This should be top3 for sure

good luck and see u in the next challenge

Fantastic work on your final image! The testures and colours look great, and I love the effects on the collapsinf stone wall and on the furnace insdie the war machine. The lighting and composition are perfect, and the naval flags and uniforms are a nice touch. Congradulations! Alexi.

Wow a very original and spectacular image, congrats and good luck to you!:beer:

Great work! Good luck:thumbsup:

Looks great Ted. Really nice work. Its awesome to see that were able to finish it…I remember when you first sketched it on a post it note…seems like only yesterday. Everything looks really nice I think you’ll place for sure. I wish I could have found the time to finish mine but maybe next time :slight_smile:

congrats on your final image

Wow, “The english Crazy Machine” Amazing work Ted, the model, colors concept, i loved everything, great work. CONGRATULATIONS and good luck with he judding :applause:

hi Novacaine … :bounce: amazing and congratulations :bounce: on a very well done image!
cheers man!

great issue ted !!congrats very cool color balance!!and awesome composition!!congrats!

Hi Novacaine !
Congratulations , This is a really impressive picture, finished right on time !

Best wishes !