Spectacular 3D Entry: Matthew Mobley

Vue has a really cool thing they call a “solid growth” system for creating plant life. It’s very useful and gets really great results. However, I’m kind of kicking myself. This whole time I’ve been using the tree models and I’ve had 47 -68 hour renders on the full resolution background because there’s so many polys. Just the other day I realized I could have saved massive amounts of time simply using 2D tree images and using the billboards feature to populate the mountains. :banghead: So, that wasted time rendering was time I could have spent making everything else look good. Oh well. I learned something and that’s what I do this stuff for. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. :thumbsup:

sucks to be you man… hehehehe :surprised:

Yeah. I don’t know why, but I’ve been doing that kind of thing a lot lately. It’s quite frustrating and not very efficient.

After getting my 64-bit version of Lightwave running correctly, I semi re-did the HV eruption for the close one. The preview looks good but we’ll have to wait to see how the big version turns out. I’m hoping it’ll be done rendering by the time I get home. :rolleyes:

That’s the most enjoyable thing about making something, THE LEARNING EFFECT. Congratulation ! you’ve just learned how to create better and more productive foliage :smiley: Btw if those rendered trees were real polys and you’ve managed to render them then I feel a respect for you for beeing so patient :argh: :thumbsup: Good luck, hope you will make it in time, as I hope for myself too

Getting ever closer here. The people are extremely low poly made with simple box modeling. Nothing special there. I still need to get curtains in the windows so you can’t see there’s nothing to the houses and there’s texturing left to do. I’m a lot happier with the new eruption than the old one. I actually did very little to it. Just opened it with the 64-bit lightwave and tweaked a couple settings. Time to stop goofing off and get to business, I think. P.S. I call this one lighting because that’s the part that’s giving me the most trouble, surprisingly.

Hey Matthew,

Real nice progression on the background of your scene and the explosion looks great.:thumbsup: Somehow more color variation on the mountains would be nice but things are looking good.

Alrighty. Over the weekend I started messing around with the trees on the mountain and ended up with this. The trees are photos of real trees done on alpha planes which dramatically reduced the poly count and render time. It went from several days to several hours. I’d call that an improvement. Plus it looks better. I also did away with the tree line because I was never really happy with how that looked. There’s a halo effect on the top of the trees that I’ll have to get rid of in post. I’m not sure where that came from. It’s not because of the maps and alpha channels or light reflecting off the edges.

Mike: Thanks. There’s definately a lot of room for improvement, but it’s not bad. It doesn’t help that for several weeks I couldn’t do anything on it. I had the time, but I ran into that wall that just wouldn’t let me get anything productive done. So now I’m rushing as usual.

CH: On the one hand, it’s great knowing my computer can handle something so large. On the other hand I feel really dumb for not realizing what I was doing. I know better than that. Oh well. Live and learn, right?

Scientists estimate that the magma chamber below Yellowstone National Park will become active anywhere between the year 2012 and 100,000 years from now. The question is not if, but when it will happen. June 27, 2013 the inevitable happened. The magma chamber began moving, causing earthquakes increasing in magnitude with every event. The gyser, Old Faithful, stopped erupting. The area around the park fell deathly silent as all the animals had left.

Ignoring the government’s warnings to evacuate, this man, his wife and daugheter stayed in their home. As a strange vibration and rumbling sound grew, passing through the house, he and his daughter walked outside to see what was happening. Over the mountains, in the direction of the park, they saw huge plumes of ash and fire rising far above the horizon. The sky was all ready filling with ash and smoke. He froze, not believing what he was seeing. This simply can’t happen. As his wife screams frantically for them to get back in the house, his daughter pulls on him trying to run back to safety, but he won’t move. She let go of him, running to her mother’s arms and they hide in the crawlspace under the house. She never saw her father again.

After the eruptions stopped, The girl’s mother covered her with an old blanket and started trying to dig her way out of the crawlspace through the ash. As she dug, the ash she inhaled turned to sludge in her lungs. When she reached the surface, she simply collapsed.

Following a tip from friends of the family, a group from the Army Corps of Engineers began inspecting the neighborhood, looking for any survivors or anything that could be used to help the refugees. They came across a house that had partially collapsed under the weight of the ash and heard faint crying coming from inside. When they entered the house, they found the girl with her head wrapped in a blanket, huddled over her mother’s lifeless body.

This event changed the world for everybody and every thing. But for one little girl, the world had just ended.

Hi Matt. A fab image - I really like it and the storyline too… see, you should listen to Government warnings after all…! :bounce:

Hi Matt! congrats on final, damn I see you made a progress since the M&S. :smiley: Good job! the environment looks awesome, good luck, have nice christmas and see you next time :beer:

Claire: Thanks. You’re right. You should listen to the Government warnings. I work for them and can tell you from first hand experience that we do, on occasion, know what we’re talking about. :slight_smile:

CH: Thanks, my friend. In addition to the technical stuff, I’m trying to learn how to not limit myself. No limits = better picture. It was actually pretty fun because this is the first time I’ve rendered in 2 different programs and composited the pieces together. Or 4 if we get technical. Anyway, Merry Christmas to you too!

Programs:

Sky, mountains & trees: Vue Infinite 5
Houses, people, distant eruption: Lightwave 8.5 (32-bit)
Close eruption: Lightwave 8.5 (64-bit)
Hazy cloudy layer between the trees and mountains: Photoshop 7

That haze is the first time I’ve EVER found a practical use for Photoshop’s cloud filter.

Hey Matthew,

The new trees look alot better than the previous ones :thumbsup: and the image looks very good. You have captured a spectacular moment here, great job and good luck.

Turns out I was kind of foreshadowing local events. We have a volcano (albeit a much smaller one) getting cranky on us up here. Check it out. www.avo.alaska.edu

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.