Spectacular 3D Entry: Andrew Hickinbottom

I love it! :love:

Man, i like your style a lot, it’s a very funny and amazing work!

Kepp it up! :beer:

Ey man
very funny concept :smiley:

I think adding more stuff that contribute to the sence of motion would add alot !
Try thinking of stuff (besides there cloth and hair that I assume u will work on some more) that could go there that are affected by wind such as … umm ribons or something.
anyhoo, I’ll be watching :thumbsup:

omg…dude, imagine this…give the grannies lightsabres…and play duel of the fates themee…once u get that image in ur head its hard to get it out hahaha

Wonderful! I agree with you when you say that before adding more objects is better to see the main elements (characters) in the whole composition.

Really funny stuff here… best wishes for u :slight_smile:

It’s all looking very good, Andy.:thumbsup: The only thing is I don’t think the lighting looks dynamic enough.:hmm:

its so funny when you can tell the artists for the uk when the weather looks horrible in his renders. i swear i saw them two in boots todays lol.
look sweet man nearly there !!!

Nice and merry job. The scene - great and spectacular. :thumbsup:

Just perfect, I love yours cartoons… :buttrock: :thumbsup:

ready, steady… GO! :wip: and the race is on…
looking good so far… sure that they are gonna look great at the finishline…

Good job man!:beer:

Not that much of a significant update, but ive filled granny 2’s cart basket with booze and cigarettes! Added a sky backdrop and tweaked some of the background textures. Also added the final facial expressions.
All ive got left is to get the lighting right and add the proper effects. Should be completed this time next week (hopefully!) Even as a thumbnail, this image looks kinda messy and bland. I really need to work on the lighting to get it to ‘pop’ and be easier to read.

Thanks a lot for all your comments and encoruagements!

Well, as you say, the final lighting will make it or break it at this point. The only thing I notice is that those packs of ciggies look slightly too large, or maybe only slightly too wide… that’s really pushing the art of nit-picking though, so it’s safe to say that you could safely put all of your energy into lighting instead of package adjustments (heh :smiley: )

The overall impression right now is sort of muddy, so: lights, lights, lights!

totally agreed !
dont let them get swallowed in the backround !
make sure there are differences in value,hue, and saturation level between the BR and the forground.
you might wanna consider adding some dust in the air behind them. it will help alot to make them the focal point.

Hi, wow I’m not disappointed and waiting for the final image. I’ve seen most of your works and really admire your style. Although it does look a little desaturated to me, it would be nice to have brighter colors. But oh well, it looks very cool though. Lovely and out of the box concept.

It looks a lot better with the more saturated textures.

All those details, like the contents of the shopping basket, really add to the story. Good work.:thumbsup:

Developed the lighting further. Im using 3 point lighting and an ambient light, with an ambient occlusion pass and some photoshop meddling to get the tint and levels right. Added some dust/ smoke behind the grannies too.
I made the lighting a bit more dramatic because overcast lighting makes it look very dull and static. I really like the saturated yellowy tint seen here.

Not much more to do now - just refine the lighting, improve the shaders where theyre needed and add tiny details that stop it from looking horrible at higher resolutions.
Hopefully, it will be finished within a week.

Cheers for the feedback.

Ayea, the dust and smoke works really well. Perhaps add some grainyness there (easy fix in photoshop)

• Not much more to do now - just refine the lighting - - -

BUZZ! Err, no, you will delete the lights and start over. It’s still very flat and “overcasty”… Try maybe a stronger key from the top left (that way you could get some shadow from the left granny being cast on the right granny… ties them together better) and then slightly weaker ambient fills, with more tint. This could look so much better, Andy!

Sorry about being a bit harsh, but this situation calls for serious action! :smiley:

BUZZ! Err, no, you will delete the lights and start over. It’s still very flat and “overcasty”… Try maybe a stronger key from the top left (that way you could get some shadow from the left granny being cast on the right granny… ties them together better) and then slightly weaker ambient fills, with more tint. This could look so much better, Andy!

Sorry about being a bit harsh, but this situation calls for serious action! :smiley:

Noooo! :cry:

I tried pretty hard to get the lighting to this level. I guess its not my strong point. I agree that it could look better, but my patience is wearing thin, and ive got several ideas for more characters to make, as well as continuing working on my bunny girl short film. Im getting a bit sick of the sight of this image to be honest :slight_smile:

Ill have another go at re-jigging the lighting in my lunch break tomorrow and see if i can make it better. Cheers for the honest crit though! You certainly know what youre doing when it comes to lighting and compositing!
Ill have to take a look at your thread for inspiration actually - im not using compositing layers at all - just 1 big render. The 3 point light pass takes about 40 seconds to render in 600X738 - i guess that in itself is an indicator that the lighting could be far more complex!

Ah well - back to the drawing board :wip:

What does everyone else think? Is it a pleasing image? Im not really striving for perfection or to win something, but just to get the damn thing finished to a half decent standard :stuck_out_tongue:

Hehe, I can totally sympathise with that, trust me :smiley: (edit: to clarify, I mean I was sick of mine as well /edit)

Anyways, may the force be with you, whichever path you go from here. I’ll just wait around for the next update!