Spam Blockers? Help!

It’s out of hand. I knwo theres a thread on this every other week but does anyone have any good ideas on spam blockers or recommendations? :\ please I’m getting desperate now:D

You could forward your mail to spamcop or get a spamcop.com email account.

switch to mozilla. will block the spam and you will get a better client altogether.

/stone

I have my mail on a IMAP server and let Outlook filter out all the junk… not Outlook Express mind you, the “real” Outlook. It does a pretty decent job at that.
What’s great about IMAP is that I can just go ahead and delete the SPAM from the server without ever downloading them to my PC!

I don’t get to see terribly much SPAM this way!

I’d recommend Mailwasher. It works really well although i wish i could block the spam altogether.

Its really up to each countries respective governments to crack down on this crap as its gonna pretty much kill email. Even mobile(Cell) phones are starting to get junk advertising.:mad:

This annoys me more than viruses as its done on such a corparate level as a opposed to some spottykid sitting in his bedroom.

Death to Spammers:buttrock:

since getting Mailwasher, I’ve been getting more spam :frowning:
I wonder if the spammers have found some counter-hack ?

I heard the other day (on BBC Radio 4) that about 180 ppl -mostly from Florida- are responsible for 80% of the world’s spam. Apparently they are so rich that the law can’t touch them. That’s Capitalism for ya:scream:

I also use Mailwasher, and it works like a charm. When you get spam, just bounce it.

I’ve been using mailwasher for a few weeks now and it works… I decreased my spam amount from about 200 a day to about 0 - 5 a day… still wish I could get rid of it altogether though…

I can think of some ways to get around mailwasher though… the bouncing message is always the same for instance, while the servers which bounce mail back if a mailadress really doesn’t exist use custom messages.

Gonna say it again:

1. use several mailadresses (personal, business and a spam-adress for forms etc for registration on the internet) and keep them separated at all cost
  2. don’t use hotmail
  3. don’t use outlook express
  4. use the bcc field and let people sending you mail do so too.
  5. don’t accept forwarding mails with funny stuff etc since they are used by spammers to get valid mailadresses. Bounce them and block the senders or make them stop sending the crap to you.
  6. don’t spread your emailadress, especially not on the internet. Even not in plain text since there are search machines which search for them in web pages (admin and webmaster adresses for instance)
  7. NEVER EVER reply to them!!! It will confirm your mailadress exists. This especially goes for the famous “submit unsubscribtion” links.

If you already are hit by spammers, well, use mailwasher and good luck. Make your life easier by using the rule-system most mailprograms have

the most extreme method is to have ur email client auto erase all emails except from those in your addy book… but then that becomes a problem if someone from the outside wants to actually contact you.

What I do is actually create a new email account ever 1.5 to 2 years. The older one I use to register stuff while the newer one is to send casual email. It takes about 1 year to 1.5 years to get high levels of spam and then it’s time to switch off.

I’m using the ‘real’ Outlook, with XP, and it’s crap for blocking. I tried the filters and rules. Pure crap. I entered a whole bunch of choice words that spammers use a lot but that never occur in normal mail - but then I noticed good mail was getting deleted as well. Like mail from an important client, a mail that I forwarded to myself from another account… who knows how much other legit mail I’ve missed.
It didn’t stop until I turned off ALL the filtering. Not even after adding the sender of that mail I wanted to keep, to the ‘protected’ list!!
Furthermore, it’s crap because you can’t specify several emails en masse as junk mail, you have to go through them one by one, clickety-f**ing-clickety… that’s about a hundred a day for me… makes the feature totally useless. Probably doesn’t work anyway but now I’ll never know.

I’ll be glad when somebody comes up with a way to block flash ads, you know the ones that dance around the screen with a 2 pixel wide close button.

Originally posted by Stahlberg
I’m using the ‘real’ Outlook, with XP, and it’s crap for blocking. I tried the filters and rules. Pure crap. I entered a whole bunch of choice words that spammers use a lot but that never occur in normal mail - but then I noticed good mail was getting deleted as well. Like mail from an important client, a mail that I forwarded to myself from another account… who knows how much other legit mail I’ve missed.
It didn’t stop until I turned off ALL the filtering. Not even after adding the sender of that mail I wanted to keep, to the ‘protected’ list!!
Furthermore, it’s crap because you can’t specify several emails en masse as junk mail, you have to go through them one by one, clickety-f**ing-clickety… that’s about a hundred a day for me… makes the feature totally useless. Probably doesn’t work anyway but now I’ll never know.

Interesting that it doesn’t work for you… as I’ve already said above, it works just fine here! But I don’t even bother setting up my own rules, except in the most severe cases - I just set the general junk-mail filter to high and that works like a charm for me! Never noticed it blocking anything other than spam either. :shrug:

Ah well I bet you’re using Outlook 2003. I’m still on 2000. sigh

edit:
Someone should organize a bunch of hackers from all over the world, set up a PayPal account for them so people could send them money to support them, and start them attacking all those big pro spammers.
There’s so much they could do in the service of Good, if they only turned toward the Light… hack into their hard drives and delete their adress databases… fry their whole systems on a regular basis, until they give up and stop using computers completely… oh what a beautiful thought…

amen stahlberg. Let’s make it a yearly event too. A contest. I guess most people are willing to spend some money for awards etc. Give the kids a 10-day trip to the bahama’s and we are free.

The rulebase doesn’t work in 2003 very good neither. It’s just crap. The best you can do is use mailwasher and wait a few weeks and see what you’ve got left and put these in your rulebase (the spam as a whole, or partial)

Someone should organize a bunch of hackers from all over the world, set up a PayPal account for them so people could send them money to support them, and start them attacking all those big pro spammers.

Stahlberg, this is a beautiful idea! Someone with a little more know how should latch onto it and contact some of the hacking groups out there. I would pay glady to see this happen.

:thumbsup:

Even though it’s a good idea… the spammers aren’t breaking any law. Making a 1337 hacker squad of death and make them hack the spammers is illegal though. So who’s the bad guys? When the hackers are caught the spammers will continue :]

Let’s wait for the laws that forbid them then… They aren’t far away. And if the largest part of the spammers is located in Florida, like crapstick stated, there shouldn’t be a problem since spamming is already prohibited there. We’re just helping the cops out here :slight_smile:

Let’s rock.

I don’t think we’ll ever completely run out of hackers no matter how many get caught, or spammers either… But I seriously doubt FBI and Interpol will be going after hackers that only go after spammers… :slight_smile:
heh - need a name for them - Spamhackers? Spackers? Frying Pans? (Cause that’s what you use to fry spam… ugh sorry.)

BTW - I suppose the spammers MUST be making some small amount of money on every 10,000 spam mails or so right? Because otherwise why would they be doing it.
But I find it hard to believe that anyone would fall for spam twice, it should be 99% internet noobs they’re milking right?
If so, it stands to reason spamming will die out when the bulk of earth’s population has been online a while and wised up. Right? In maybe 10 years or so… These next 5 years should be the peak of the problem. Well you know, rough guess etc. Or am I missing something about the way spam works?

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.