Softimage 2015 Last Release Announcement

I use 3DSMax. My heart goes out to you, and I’m aware we’re next in line for the guillotine.

It’s worth looking at. For example, false statements made for the purpose of a financial advantage is fraud which is basis for a civil suit as well as criminal charges.

Many customers’ businesses are going to take a bit financial hit because of Autodesk’s actions, and individually their professional skills have been taken to a market value of zero overnight. People who have built businesses on plug ins suddenly find they are worthless. Because of the amount of the damage, and the number of users, it’s worth seeing if there is a cause for action: deceptive conduct, fraud, breach of implied contract, anti-trust, racketeering, etc.

It would be interesting to discover how long Autodesk has had this on the cards. The argument that they bought a product which duplicated their existing product range for any purpose other than ultimately destroying it just doesn’t stack up. While they have some leeway in doing that, deceiving their customers and developers about their intentions it is another matter. I’ll bet Autodesk discussed it before they even bought it.

Suggest you hunt around for a class action attorney who has handled similar cases. Realistically they will walk away with a big chunk of the settlement, but you may at least get something and they’ll do the work and bear the risk. This is a better approach than asking them to open source or sell Softimage to someone else. Why would they? They have you where they want you. aw suits are very punishing for companies like Autodesk. If they’re smart, they might be persuaded to do the right thing.

too funny :smiley: :smiley:

ADSK credibility is equal (probably under) zero

You’ll never see again my money, also I’ll do my best for giving you the publicity a company of liars and incapable like you deserves

Microsoft’s sole interest in porting Soft was to kill Silicon Graphics who had a monopoly on high-end 3D at the time - Windows NT had LightWave, 3D Studio (and Max?) but Soft and Power Animator were on SGI.

Once Microsoft had proven that you could run these apps on vastly cheaper hardware their mission was accomplished so they sold Soft on.

Are they not merciful?

Here is a flashback from 2 years ago:
Autodesk denies intent to kill off 3ds Max, Softimage
Wednesday, September 5th, 2012

http://www.cgchannel.com/2012/09/autodesk-denies-intent-to-kill-off-3ds-max-softimage/

Of course they did. They weren’t planning to kill Max and Softimage. That’s quite literally what they said, too. They said nothing about killing Max or Softimage.

I don’t think it was that.
In retrospective, they acquired Softimage to get their hands on tech, developers and to keep it out of the competitors’ reach.
I think the intention was from the get-go to bury it after X number of years which would explain very well the obscurity in which they kept this software. Any other company would have promoted it for its great workflow, not to mention innovative features such as ICE, but not only.
When you want to sell you promote, it’s that simple. They didn’t, therefore one can safely infer that their intention was to only eliminate it from the market.

I think i can explain why the program was well developed in first years in Autodesk but never got much support from Autodesk.
Since they didn’t broke the team when it arrived at Autodesk , the developers continued to bring great releases 2010,2011 for example like if they were at Avid.

So it was a successful adopted child that the stepfather Autodesk tolerated but didn’t wanted to show to anyone.
Then things changed and they broke the team, i think in part because Softimage was rising with each excellent work its users were doing, for example it was attracting the best render engines out there: Arnold, V-ray, Redshift, so the stepfather was being forced to show it.

Of course they did. They weren’t planning to kill Max and Softimage. That’s quite literally what they said, too. They said nothing about killing Max or Softimage.

What is your answer to this then iconoplast :), it is from the time of last version V2014:

http://area.autodesk.com/2014unfold/products/softimage.html

less than a year ago.

It’s not super-important, but that’s scrambled history. Microsoft did the softimage|3D port more 2 years before the development of XSI ever started, and most of it was done by microsoft employes, not softimage ones. Microsoft a pump huge amount of cash in Softimage and the size of the company and resources exploded. Also, XSI 1.0 only had nurbs modeling. It had everything it has today except trims. It’s polygon modelling and UV editing that was totally absent in the initial release.

Hey guys,
I am not sure if this has been posted before:

Softimage Last Release Announcement

We regret to inform you that the upcoming 2015 release will be the last one for Autodesk® Softimage®, which is expected to ship on April 14, 2014. Autodesk will continue to offer product support until Apr 30, 2016. We will also provide any necessary hot-fixes and service packs to all customers, at no cost, until Apr 30, 2016.

We understand that you will now need time to re-evaluate your production capabilities. To help you, we are offering Autodesk® Subscription customers special no cost options to migrate to either Autodesk® Maya® or Autodesk® 3ds Max® while continuing to use Softimage in production. These options will be available until Feb 1, 2016. Upgrade paths are also available for customers who are not on Subscription.

Although this decision is a difficult one, we do believe that by focusing our efforts we can better serve the needs of the media and entertainment industry and provide customers with better products, faster. Autodesk wants to continue its relationship with you into the future. We regret any inconvenience that this may cause, however we believe you will find our new transition product offerings very attractive.

We understand that you may still have questions about this transition and invite you to join us on Monday, March 17, 2014 at 12PM EST for a live Q&A webinar. Please submit your questions in the panel to the right.

For more details regarding the Softimage last release announcement – please refer to the Softimage product center.

http://area.autodesk.com/softimagetransition

I honestly don’t get it, aren’t you the guys that:

• defend Apple when they get critique for being the hand that pushed all those workers off the rooftops?
  • defend The Foundry for joining The Carlyle Group. And calls everyone who gave them criticism for it for wearing tinfoil?
  • defend the big studios for just being smart when playing the CG market?

When it’s murder you care not but when it’s not you scream it.

One of the Best Software ever !!! Really really Sad.

Regards

I will really miss XSI , when Autodesk bought it and I had to search for xsi on there own page I knew it was over. Moved my company to C4D and never looked back. Miss you ICE and GATOR :frowning:

I too am surprised that they where allowed to buy XSI and corner the market.We should start a
petition to have them release the source code .

Petitions are worthless here (like 99,9% of all internet petitions). Its not about how many ppl like XSI.
Its about how many ppl BUY xsi and Autodesk knows exactly how many copies they sell/sold already. Clearly its not enough to persuade them…

And releasing the source code?? You seriously think they would even consider shooting themselves in the foot like that?

Even though I am currently at Machu Picchu I had to respond to this travesty of a post.
Most disgusting and deluded post I have read on here. Linking suicides to autodesk stopping xsi for business reasons is just plain shitty thing to do… Oh and they were working for foxxcon so you could at least get your facts straight.

I want to say that , as a student who is in constantly searching for the best solution regarding what workflow should I follow after I will finish my studies, I am very discouraged and dissapointed in ending the development of Softimage. That only leaves me no choice but turning to The Foundry line of products, which are by far more advanced and reliable than Autodesk ones ( aside from CAD-BIM , but there are also options for them). I have spent a good amount of time learning 3dsMax, but realized that it wasn’t even comparing with SI. So I really do not understand what made them endl it. Anyway, I want to say that even the generations to come I think will now run from AD and their questionable policies.
Best!

why would people buy XSI if Autodesk never really marketed it?
they did every effort to hide Softimage, and tried to market it as a sophisticated plugin addition to maya or max… which is a joke in itself…

This. Autodesk basically marketed Softimage as a a supplement to Maya and Max as opposed ti the true competitor it really is.

Basically? It was the #1 reason to buy Softimage… http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/softimage_2011_top_reasons_buy_brochure_us.pdf

Im not disagreeing with that, just telling the guy a petition is worthless here.
Ppl sure do like their online petitions, its so much easier than actually doing something usefull…

If you guys really think autodesk did something illegal in some way, maybe its better for the XSI users/comminity who think they were cheated in some way to unite (massfund) and consult a lawyer. If you find enough ppl it might not even cost that much…

I am not kidding when I say this…
You are at Machu Picchu? AWESOME!
Do share pics, maybe we could use them in the future for a modeling challenge.

OK lets get back to the conversation.

-R