Sketchbook Thread of Sirielle

Image I’m working on, though I’ve just missed a competition. Anyway here are ideas and wip stage (based on my previous take on this character ). I need to decide about a ship again - since now I have more time - and fix man’s anatomy. Maybe give him a more dynamic pose, we’ll see.

Stars to be refined, too.

Fighting with his pose again:

Update to drow priestess - the old WIP for comparison:

and latest:

It looks like older legs were better idea, I made her too short.

While repainting one image I should leave alone (ha!) I’ve made a side variant trying to steal nose and cheek bones of Jon Kortajarena, an exercise:

Next a failed attempt to draw lineart and paint it with watercolours, ended up with digital colours test.

Sure I’ll try it one day, but I messed up the drawing while “inking” (with a sort of ink ball pen), also - it is too small (smaller than A5), I should sketch more and then try remaking this one more seriously.
Turning him into dark haired didn’t help him either, one of my typical faces, elongated:

Finally something less typical for me - I’ve been given a test to do 3 different concept art themes in 4 hours. I managed to do one and a bit of the second (sketch). I did it at home (but not mine and not my PC), found ref for jungle only, no time to check what way a gun looks like O_o :wink: I’m not satisfied with the result and definitely not a speed painter, but I like the floating cities idea and now I know these themes are missing in my portfolio thus plan to re-make such in the future.

As for the third subject of the test I didn’t even start - no one really needs to talk me into painting medieval knights in action, especially now when I’m in the middle of A Clash of Kings by GRRM. As soon as my travels cease I’m coming back to drawing knights :wink:

Working on this portrait again:

An earlier step, head rotated for a moment to fix here and there, then rotated back. Still not Asian enough, as he supposed to look like:

After repainting he lost character ( :confused: ), but I almost got an Asian eye:

• thanks to countless explanations from Miriel. Still something is missing:

I’ve forund also good explanations in drawings here - Asian, African and Caucasian eyes:
    http://archive.icoph.org/med/optics/index.html
    Gotta study those tomorrow, enough for tonight.

Working on the girl in red. Hands to be redone, anything else you see?

Hands and foot were too small, also in wrong place (sleeves below elbows):

Abandoned clothing idea, with a necklace pasted from a different older variant of her of her:

Changed a bit the landscape idea:

Still complicating the image to get anatomy right, though maybe I’m making up what is off :banghead: :wink: I noticed it after flipping image which I haven’t done for a longer while. The face is off, too.

Fixed the arm and face. Blues didn’t work for me, so I got back to the desert colours:

I’ve forgotten threads can be closed, so to keep mine open something I’ve been working on lately, t.b.c.:

Stage 2 steps, t.b.c.:

(827x600, open in a new window)

Still freezing poor travelers:

Full view (wider than forum size).

Cyan variation uncropped:

Final concept #1:

The other variant t.b.c.

Polish Tolkien forums anniversary images:

Larger image at dA

Newer stuff:

Horses are evil :cry: :wink:

Sleeping beauty:

Old ideas to paint one day:

I’ve taken this one to acceptable stage. Having no Painter X trial anymore, with which I painted the first image, I used mostly palette knife to get a similar effect as the brush introduced in PX. I still use Painter 9.5:

A few recent pieces.

and a variation for a friend who is huge Aliens fan:

Finished her:

Full view:
http://sirielle.deviantart.com/art/Over-a-desert-345732565

WIPs, spedees and sketches:

(open in a new window)

Krishna driving Arjuna’s vimana in Mahabharata.

A joke, mostly for Silmarillion lovers:

Explanation: http://sirielle.deviantart.com/art/Maitimo-with-fangirls-355044996

Got back to this WIP, here is actual stage:

and some earlier variations of finishing the throne:

Airbrush would work best and easiest, but I feel I should stick to lines & cross-hatching.

Update:

hey there, you have quite a nice works here… :wink: I’ve looked all they way through your sketchbook and you show a really good progress… keep it up…!!

Thank you! :slight_smile:

Map of Beleriand and realms of the North - map rendering by me, with Thangorodrim, compass rose and tengwar frame by Ominous. Published on-line with Ominous’ permission. Based on on maps by J.R.R. Tolkien in HoME XII, Christopher Tolkien in The Silmarillion, Karen Wynn Fonstad in The Atlas of Middle-earth and invaluable tips from Ominous, without whom the map would be incomplete:

Full view at dA: http://sirielle.deviantart.com/art/Beleriand-and-Realms-of-The-North-413204128

Note on the buildings - they are more symbols of cities and fortresses, showing their different characters than literal renderings of the actual buildings.

Actual WIP, pose referenced from SenshiStock, though not exactly: