Sketchbook Thread of Gord MacDonald

I am starting up this thread as a focused initiative, to get my figure drawing skills up to par. No excuses now - I have committed.
The goal is to develop the skills required to draw any figure in any postion, from any vantage point, with any amount of detail, convincingly portrayed.

Gord

Latest work no image yet posted

Gord

Gord,

Hey, looking forward to this! :slight_smile: Any chance you’ll let me change the title of your thread to “Anatomy Thread of Gord MacDonald”? Pretty pleeze? :slight_smile:

Cheers, :slight_smile:

~Rebeccak

sure - go for it

Gord

Thanks! Done! :slight_smile:

Cheers,

~Rk

back to basics

Loomis ideal proportion male (front)

removed

Gord

Nice. Gord!

You know, a medium I would really recommend for these types of studies is ballpoint pen. Works like a charm, and you can get a lot of detail / fine gradation / subtle shading. Charcoal/pencil tends to be a bit less accurate. Just a suggestion!

~Rebeccak

Thanks Rebecca, I am not sure I am on speaking terms with ballpoint pens these days, but you never know. This initial stuff looks like its going to be a bit messy, working with ‘ideal’ proportions feels a little AR at the moment, although I know there will be long term benifits. (I can’t wait to get to the fun stuff! :wink: )

removed

Gord

first shot at loomis ideal female form:

removed

Gord

Gord,

LOL, I hope that you and ballpoint pens can reconcile :scream: ~ really, they’re a great medium! But of course, that’s totally between you and the pens. :slight_smile:

Good to see these studies. I would recommend perhaps trying to get more detail into these ~ making more finished drawings. Perhaps even drawing larger than the original, or using a grid. It might really help you to better see problems in proportion. Also, I would recommend doing detailed drawings of various anatomical structures ~ in the same manner and style as your beautiful portrait drawings. I think that would help a lot. :thumbsup:

~Rebeccak

Rebecca - I totally agree with your suggestions of engaging in more detailed studies - (thats where I am headed), but first I am going to try and ‘embed’ the benchmark proportions etc. in my mind - the current drawings are kind of like writing down notes while studying for a test - it helps anchor the subject matter in the memory.

anyways - here is another quickie
(somewhat less than ideal - hehe)

removed

Gord

ps: me and my ballpoints are talking about getting some councilling :smiley:

Gord,

LOL! Counseling sounds perfect! :scream: :thumbsup: I have some unresolved issues with a sharpie myself…:scream:

Hmm, I think the proportions on the male in particular are a bit funny ~ but I do understand what you mean about just generally practicing proportions. :slight_smile: I like going back and forth between detailed and quick myself. Keeps you sane! :slight_smile:

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

removed

Gord

a quick weight study - no ref

Gord

faces - sad expressions

Gord

more faces…

HEY…Gord …:thumbsup: :slight_smile:

GREAT to see you back posting your work on here again…:thumbsup:
WOW…some really nice emotions captured…strong pieces…:applause:
Think the first one posted on the previous page,frame #15 under sad expressions, is my favorite so far.
Simple and subtle, but very powerful, in the emotion and feeling it projects. I also really like the man right below that one, for basically the same reasons,…they are all nice for sure, but those two have a way of going far beyond what is seen, for me anyway…:slight_smile:
Beautiful JOB…Gord…:thumbsup:
HOPE to see lots more…SOON :bounce: :slight_smile:
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Wow way to go Gord! You’re really improving every time I see your art. Keep it uP!!

Glen and Bobby - Thanks for the feedback!

Gord

pencil/PS

from photoref

Gord