Sketchbook Thread by M31

I’ve been drawing longer than I can remember. I had private drawing lessons in highschool and then took a variety of art courses, including drawing, painting, sculpture, history, and computer at the College of Lake County. It was here that I discovered 3ds Max and I am currently learning to use that program and hope to eventually create my own animation. I must confess I havne’t drawn much in a very long time as I seem to have reached a plateau and it is very frustrating to say the least.

Here is some work that I did at the college:

This is a study after Nude Man by Luca Signorelli. He used black chalk; I used charcoal.

This is a pastiche that I did after the above drawing by Luca Signorelli.

This is a study after Figure of a Male Nude by Michelangelo Buonarroti. Again, he used black chalk; I used charcoal.

I apologize that these drawings are not cut out from the scanner background. I do not currently have any descent 2D software installed on this computer. I will update as soon as I fix this. I have a lot more work that won’t fit on my scanner. I will post some of that when I get my hands on a digital camera.

M31,

Welcome. :slight_smile: It’s great to see your drawings - that last one in particular is quite strikingly done.

I would recommend to you Glenn Vilppu’s DVDs if you feel that you have plateaued (which is something we as artists will always face).

Also, I would invite you to participate in the recently opened Workshop:

Anatomy Lesson Series: Body Part 2 - The Torso

I look forward to seeing more of your work. :slight_smile:

Cheers,

-Rebeccak

Rebeccak, thank you so much for the welcome and kind words! :slight_smile: I will look into getting one of those DVDs and I do plan on entering the workshop. Hopefully, I can produce some work in different mediums. :slight_smile:

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

It seems I’ve been away too long and my sketchbook thread was archived!
I just got a Wacom tablet and have been working on getting back into drawing. Here are some recent sketches:

Hey there, welcome back. :slight_smile: I’ve just merged your threads and reopened it (archiving happens automatically after a year).

Cheers,

-R

Thank you, Rebeccak! :slight_smile:

Here’s another drawing I did on the Wacom using Art Models 2 as a reference.

hello,
nice drawings…i liked the the starting anatomy study pics u drew…:thumbsup:

Hi,

nice stuff!
Looking forward to see more!

Hello,

nice thread. I know what you mean about feeling stuck in a plateau, hope you'll get past that. I like your last drawing, it feels very fluid. Keep it up. :)

Wonder when I'll get past my own plateau. :shrug:

hehe, cya around!

Hi Erin Munkacsy. nice anatomy thread n first 3 sketches are cool & nice style :slight_smile:

Nice start Erin,… yeah time is a thief eh:).
I would look into those dvds like rebek said, they will help free you up a lot.

Cheerio Chris

hey erin ,
real nice works. . loved ur lines. .
waitin for more :bounce:

Thank you all so much for the words of encouragement! :love:

I do struggle with being a perfectionist, but I am trying to focus on just making progress and enjoying drawing. I did a portrait of one of my characters from a Dungeons & Dragons campaign. I’m quite happy with how it turned out! It is the first time that I have successfully drawn a character from my head (not that I didn’t use lots of reference!).

Right now I am having difficulty finding reference for the next drawing I’d like to do. I wish that I could draw poses from my head, but they always look unnatural when I try. I do have reference books of poses, but not enough basic stuff, like walking. I’d really like a good reference of a guy walking toward the viewer, ideally panther-like and carrying a greatsword, but anything would be helpful!

Nice anatomy drawing, especially i like all sketches…:thumbsup:

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.