Simple Life: rigging

Great, we have a rig now!

Tell us-- how close to ideal do you feel this is? Are there any caveats you want me to pass onto the animators?

Juha, Boone- what do you think of this rig?

If everyone likes it, I’ll pass it over to the animators and let them play with it. I would like you guys to pay attention to the animation thread, as that’s where they’ll be discussing it.

The feet are messed up when moving the character, I like the way you handled the stretch though, translation instead of scale, but I hate the shape of the cube, other then that I’ll be able to animate this and that’s the most important part I guess :slight_smile:

Yeah those clusters were a last minute addition as per Ali’s suggestion, unfortunately I remembered late last night that I had to upload the rig (I meant to actually go through, clean it up and make it a more ‘finalized’ version but I’ve been doing some freelance stuff for some people too…bleecchh).

I will probably spend one day this weekend talkin to Ali and getting some feedback from him on the rig etc, I’ll need to implement the actual model as well and then we can go from there.

That rig is open ballgame by the way…Cornfield take anything you like from that and post up with anything to add to it :slight_smile:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

That seems to be my punch line for the last week or two! :scream:

Tried to load the .ma file, and changed the “required” bit to 5.0…

file -f -o “C:/Documents and Settings/Steven Ray/My Documents/3D models/ASLS_Orange_Rig.ma”;
// Error: file: C:/Documents and Settings/Steven Ray/My Documents/3D models/ASLS_Orange_Rig.ma line 192: The parentConstraint ‘joint4_parentConstraint1’ has no ‘.lr’ attribute. //
// Error: file: C:/Documents and Settings/Steven Ray/My Documents/3D models/ASLS_Orange_Rig.ma line 192: No object matches name: .lr //
// Error: file: C:/Documents and Settings/Steven Ray/My Documents/3D models/ASLS_Orange_Rig.ma line 217: The parentConstraint ‘joint3_parentConstraint1’ has no ‘.lr’ attribute. //
// Error: file: C:/Documents and Settings/Steven Ray/My Documents/3D models/ASLS_Orange_Rig.ma line 217: No object matches name: .lr //
// Error: file: C:/Documents and Settings/Steven Ray/My Documents/3D models/ASLS_Orange_Rig.ma line 243: The parentConstraint ‘joint2_parentConstraint1’ has no ‘.lr’ attribute. //
// Error: file: C:/Documents and Settings/Steven Ray/My Documents/3D models/ASLS_Orange_Rig.ma line 243: No object matches name: .lr //
// Error: file: C:/Documents and Settings/Steven Ray/My Documents/3D models/ASLS_Orange_Rig.ma line 475: The parentConstraint ‘cluster5Handle_parentConstraint1’ has no ‘.lr’ attribute. //
// Error: file: C:/Documents and Settings/Steven Ray/My Documents/3D models/ASLS_Orange_Rig.ma line 475: No object matches name: .lr //
// Error: file: C:/Documents and Settings/Steven Ray/My Documents/3D models/ASLS_Orange_Rig.ma line 505: The parentConstraint ‘cluster3Handle_parentConstraint1’ has no ‘.lr’ attribute. //
// Error: file: C:/Documents and Settings/Steven Ray/My Documents/3D models/ASLS_Orange_Rig.ma line 505: No object matches name: .lr //
// Error: file: C:/Documents and Settings/Steven Ray/My Documents/3D models/ASLS_Orange_Rig.ma line 626: The mesh ‘OrangeShape’ has no ‘.dcc’ attribute. //
// Error: file: C:/Documents and Settings/Steven Ray/My Documents/3D models/ASLS_Orange_Rig.ma line 626: No object matches name: .dcc //
// Error: file: C:/Documents and Settings/Steven Ray/My Documents/3D models/ASLS_Orange_Rig.ma line 699: The mesh ‘OrangeShape1Orig’ has no ‘.dcc’ attribute. //
// Error: file: C:/Documents and Settings/Steven Ray/My Documents/3D models/ASLS_Orange_Rig.ma line 699: No object matches name: .dcc //
// Error: file: C:/Documents and Settings/Steven Ray/My Documents/3D models/ASLS_Orange_Rig.ma line 2077: The mesh ‘Orange_StretchShape’ has no ‘.dcc’ attribute. //
// Error: file: C:/Documents and Settings/Steven Ray/My Documents/3D models/ASLS_Orange_Rig.ma line 2077: No object matches name: .dcc //
// Error: file: C:/Documents and Settings/Steven Ray/My Documents/3D models/ASLS_Orange_Rig.ma line 6739: The mesh ‘Orange_StretchShape1Orig’ has no ‘.dcc’ attribute. //
// Error: file: C:/Documents and Settings/Steven Ray/My Documents/3D models/ASLS_Orange_Rig.ma line 6739: No object matches name: .dcc //
// Error: file: C:/Documents and Settings/Steven Ray/My Documents/3D models/ASLS_Orange_Rig.ma line 8116: The mesh ‘Orange_SquashShape’ has no ‘.dcc’ attribute. //
// Error: file: C:/Documents and Settings/Steven Ray/My Documents/3D models/ASLS_Orange_Rig.ma line 8116: No object matches name: .dcc //
// Error: file: C:/Documents and Settings/Steven Ray/My Documents/3D models/ASLS_Orange_Rig.ma line 12802: The mesh ‘Orange_SquashShape1Orig’ has no ‘.dcc’ attribute. //
// Error: file: C:/Documents and Settings/Steven Ray/My Documents/3D models/ASLS_Orange_Rig.ma line 12802: No object matches name: .dcc //
// Error: file: C:/Documents and Settings/Steven Ray/My Documents/3D models/ASLS_Orange_Rig.ma line 14179: The mesh ‘Orange_DodgeFrontShape’ has no ‘.dcc’ attribute. //
// Error: file: C:/Documents and Settings/Steven Ray/My Documents/3D models/ASLS_Orange_Rig.ma line 14179: No object matches name: .dcc //
// Error: file: C:/Documents and Settings/Steven Ray/My Documents/3D models/ASLS_Orange_Rig.ma line 18648: The mesh ‘Orange_DodgeFrontShape1Orig’ has no ‘.dcc’ attribute. //
// Error: file: C:/Documents and Settings/Steven Ray/My Documents/3D models/ASLS_Orange_Rig.ma line 18648: No object matches name: .dcc //
// Error: file: C:/Documents and Settings/Steven Ray/My Documents/3D models/ASLS_Orange_Rig.ma line 20025: The mesh ‘Orange_DodgeBackShape’ has no ‘.dcc’ attribute. //
// Error: file: C:/Documents and Settings/Steven Ray/My Documents/3D models/ASLS_Orange_Rig.ma line 20025: No object matches name: .dcc //
// Error: file: C:/Documents and Settings/Steven Ray/My Documents/3D models/ASLS_Orange_Rig.ma line 24550: The mesh ‘Orange_DodgeBackShape1Orig’ has no ‘.dcc’ attribute. //
// Error: file: C:/Documents and Settings/Steven Ray/My Documents/3D models/ASLS_Orange_Rig.ma line 24550: No object matches name: .dcc //
// Error: file: C:/Documents and Settings/Steven Ray/My Documents/3D models/ASLS_Orange_Rig.ma line 25927: The mesh ‘OrangeDodgeRightShape’ has no ‘.dcc’ attribute. //
// Error: file: C:/Documents and Settings/Steven Ray/My Documents/3D models/ASLS_Orange_Rig.ma line 25927: No object matches name: .dcc //
// Error: file: C:/Documents and Settings/Steven Ray/My Documents/3D models/ASLS_Orange_Rig.ma line 30452: The mesh ‘OrangeDodgeRightShape1Orig’ has no ‘.dcc’ attribute. //
// Error: file: C:/Documents and Settings/Steven Ray/My Documents/3D models/ASLS_Orange_Rig.ma line 30452: No object matches name: .dcc //
// Error: file: C:/Documents and Settings/Steven Ray/My Documents/3D models/ASLS_Orange_Rig.ma line 31829: The mesh ‘OrangeDodgeLeftShape’ has no ‘.dcc’ attribute. //
// Error: file: C:/Documents and Settings/Steven Ray/My Documents/3D models/ASLS_Orange_Rig.ma line 31829: No object matches name: .dcc //
// Error: file: C:/Documents and Settings/Steven Ray/My Documents/3D models/ASLS_Orange_Rig.ma line 36347: The mesh ‘OrangeDodgeLeftShape1Orig’ has no ‘.dcc’ attribute. //
// Error: file: C:/Documents and Settings/Steven Ray/My Documents/3D models/ASLS_Orange_Rig.ma line 36347: No object matches name: .dcc //
// Error: file: C:/Documents and Settings/Steven Ray/My Documents/3D models/ASLS_Orange_Rig.ma line 37724: The mesh ‘pCubeShape9’ has no ‘.dcc’ attribute. //
// Error: file: C:/Documents and Settings/Steven Ray/My Documents/3D models/ASLS_Orange_Rig.ma line 37724: No object matches name: .dcc //
// Error: file: C:/Documents and Settings/Steven Ray/My Documents/3D models/ASLS_Orange_Rig.ma line 42117: The mesh ‘pCubeShape1Orig9’ has no ‘.dcc’ attribute. //
// Error: file: C:/Documents and Settings/Steven Ray/My Documents/3D models/ASLS_Orange_Rig.ma line 42117: No object matches name: .dcc //
// Error: file: C:/Documents and Settings/Steven Ray/My Documents/3D models/ASLS_Orange_Rig.ma line 45369: The lambert ‘lambert1’ has no ‘.miic’ attribute. //
// Error: file: C:/Documents and Settings/Steven Ray/My Documents/3D models/ASLS_Orange_Rig.ma line 45369: No object matches name: .miic //
// File read in 1 seconds.
// Error: line 92: Invalid flag: -maxConstantTransparency //
// Error: line 1: Error reading file. //
docServer(1);
// Error: file: C:/Program Files/AliasWavefront/Maya5.0/scripts/others/renderWindowPanel.mel line 3528: Cannot use data of type no type in a scalar operation. //

What is a Sith Lord to do? :shrug:

get a new apprentice…

Re: Velk.

From now on…you shall be known as…DARTH…BINKS! :twisted:

hmmm… Boone are you using the 5.0.1 version of Maya?

rig was made in 6.0, should be backwards compatible with 5.0 (there’s nothing terribly fancy in there at all)…

Re: Mel.

Nah, the files have “5.0” - no fields that state “5.0.1”…which should be the case. :shrug:

I’m not helping any by throwing this problem at you - forget about it and concentrate on getting the rig done. Even though I can’t get the rig to work, I can still spend some time trying to figure it out myself. Afterall, programming is my speciality! :smiley:

Thanks anyway, mate! :beer:

Hey guys…

I went in to play around with the rig that’s currently at: http://www.creaturetd.net/ASLS_Orange_Rig.rar tonight for a little R&D action, and it’s a little broken for me in Maya 6.0 and 6.5.

The feet clusters are making odd deformations when I translate the character, and it seems that the blendshape is broken as well (the blend window comes up on open, but it’s empty and all the blendshape targets are visible, and I can’t find a BS node anywhere, nor is the icon referenced in the docs showing up).

In the bind pose on file open, he’s also got some odd dimples where his feet should be.

What I like:

• The corner clusters are a great addition
  • The blendshapes will be great shortcuts
  • The rings are at great places vertically on the character
  • I think there’s enough bones in him now for nice, smooth bends in extreme poses

Tweaks I’d like to see:

• I’m not sure if I should be translating or rotating the body rings – it’s really easy to lose (or gain) mass when translating them, particularly the bottom one because the top two are parented to it, but the bottom of the character stays on the floor.
  • Even with the labels, when I’m tumbling around I still have to check to remember which side is ‘forward’. Hazard of the character, I suppose. :slight_smile: Perhaps the ‘forward’ section of the arrow translate icon could be a little larger than the other directional arrows for a quick visual cue?
  • I’d like the clusters weighted a little more on the hands & feet so that I could, for example, move the left hand and foot forward together and have a nice smooth curve for a ‘sneak’ or heavy walk – faking leg-style motion. I’d also like the clusters zeroed out by default.
  • I’d like the skeleton in a reference layer so I don’t go breaking things on accident :smiley:

Great start, though. If there’s a newer file I should be looking at, let me know.

–T

Alrighty then! Sorry this took so long but I’ve been pretty busy this weekend, my apologies.

Orange Rig v2.0

• controls now have a direction specification (front, back, right & left) to lessen the confusion as to which way you are moving the character or what way it is facing.

• the initial bindPose issue with the clusters is fixed, as is the global translation issue (clusters going crazy when moving the character around).

• added more influence to the clusters to give it more exaggeration.

• actually remembered to apply the blendshapes and put them on the BS icon (and include the BS icon :P).

• put the skeleton into reference mode.

• put the orange characters geometry into a reference node to accomodate any changes we may make further down the line model wise etc.

File Can Be Snagged HERE

-s

p.s. feedback is MORE THAN WELCOME…fire at will :slight_smile:

Well, that’s my laundry list mostly taken care of.

Dude, you’re my hero!

• The left and right dodge blends both go left.
  • The corner icons rock my world – I prefer those immensely over the labels
  • The BS icon is a little ‘shy’ for me – I’ve got to drag-select it to get it targeted (no biggie, though)
  • Is there any way to get the blends to do a float value? I’m not sure 1 to 10 (integer) on the node will give smooth enough transitions.

Rockin’. The rig’s feeling really nice for me now.

–T

One more little bit of feedback:

The blend nodes need to be parented/contstrained to the main geometry. Right now, when you move the character, then apply a blend, it shifts his position.

It’s getting really quick to animate the little bugger now, though. I’m nice & comfortable with it.

Ola!

Ok, few things.

The blendshapes are float values, problem is that because they are 0-1 values you have to set your Channel Box slider to a Slow setting (otherwise Maya just jumps in the channel box to the max value of 1 super fast!). If you set a key at 0 and then a key at 1 30 frames later you’ll see the floats :slight_smile:

The blend nodes are only temporary placeholders, I am waiting for CornField to get back to us on the finalized target shapes (including the geometry for Orange). All I need to do is just set the blendShapes to a Parallel target and you won’t have to worry about them sliding back to the origin :slight_smile:

Keep me posted if you find anything else :slight_smile:

-s

I am sorry for my lastweekend slacking. I have had wristproblems and serious headaches I was sitting in the sun with cold pint of beer in my hand almost whole weekend… and now I am sharper than ever!!! I’ll post final model and some blendshapes today when I’ll get home from the work!

ok! today I had some time to play with blendShapes
here is one sample what it can do now… yea I know its probaply completly useless but funny… it can shake its ass and deform in to cylinder and some other things… quite fast modelling but before we get some feedBack what kind of blendshapes animators will need its enough!

here is the file DOWNLOAD!

just came to my mind that what kind of unit scale would you prefer. now this box is 1 unit wide (in this case centimeters). but would you animators like to play with a bit bigger numbers or is this enough?

Lookin good,

I will put these blendshapes and the geometry into the rigging scene when I get home and upload the latest file.

-s

Hey guys,

Just wanted to know if the rig that’s up has been updated yet. Wanting to get started on the animation, and need to make sure that we’ve got the final rig to work with.

Thanks,

–T

Wow…sorry for lack of updates here…i brought in the mesh that Cornfield made a few nights ago but I’ve been smoked with work (both at home and here at the office). Bare with me, I’ll get the file uploaded tonight!

-s