Simple Life: Current Needs (sign in/out here!)

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Post a reply to this thread if you are interested in any position below and I will add you to the list. People listed in orange have expressed an interest in the positions currently open. This does not guarantee a position on the film. The positions will be granted to those producing the work & meeting quality/quantity needs of this project. All others will be given credit for their assistance in the production.

Please post in this thread if you decide to withdraw your interest in the film so that the list here can be updated. Thank you.

2D Textures - Textures can probably be procedural so I don’t know if this is really needed. The textures are definately very slight to non-existant. I’m primarily concerned with adding a slight texture to the characters so that when they move or turn around it’s easier to read their movement (especially the spheres).[ul][li]N. L. Bradbury (a.k.a. SovereignKnight)[]Benjamin Dean (a.k.a. thewave)[]Rodrigo Ribeiro (a.k.a. digones)[*]Wyatt Harris (a.k.a. WyattHarris)[/ul]
[/li]
Animator - Animators will be supplied with character and set files that are all rigged and ready to go. As an animator your task on this film may be the most important to it’s success. You will be adding life to an otherwise lifeless block. No facial features or limbs to convey expressions or body language. Giving these characters life and emotion will be a difficult task that will require you to push your skills to the limits. And I’m a pretty tough critic … be prepared for my picking of minor details. Animators will be required to submit rough tests for critique and refinement towards a final cut. Roughs will be spliced into the pre-vis animatic as they are OK’d to help aid the sound crew in composing music and audio FX.

Note that the animator’s list is being ammended below as work is being completed (see Positions Filled).[ul][li]Abhishek Chandra (a.k.a. w0lverine)[]Ila Soleimani (a.k.a. ila_solomon)[/ul]
[/li]
Music Composer - An original sound track is going to be needed for this film as there is no budget to pay for usage rights to a pre-recorded track. The music should reflect the simple aspects of the character, environment and story premise. An orchestral movement or large complex arraingements are not needed for this film. Think minimal, such as a small jazz trio or solo performance by a pianist. Also, don’t compose a lengthy score to fill time … the music should acurately reflect the actions of the film.)[ul][li]Benjamin Dean (a.k.a. thewave)[
]Dave Logan (a.k.a. iliketheska)[/ul]
[/li]
Foley Artist - Sound FX to accompany the actions of our characters on screen will make everything more believable. I know nothing about foley arts … so impress me with your talents. With this position I would imagine that you can start preliminary work immediately. Make some tracks of sound effects that could be used in this film. Thumps, Boings, Claps, Squeeks … it’s all good. We could probably use anything to emphasize the humorous elements of the film.

Lighting - Not as easy as it looks. Your task will be to light the scenes and characters to emphasize the mood of the current actions. The general idea I have is not to make the environment “moody” but rather plain (yet interesting). Use of geometric patterns on walls and floors cast by the character’s shadows will be the goal to achieve. The primary character will be isolated from the environment. So, be carefull not to have bounced orange light in too much excess. I feel this will “connect” him too much to the environment and spoil the meaning of the film.[ul][li]Juha Saarinen (a.k.a. CornFielD)[]Peter Åsberg (a.k.a. urgaffel)[]Alex York (a.k.a. alexyork)[]Tom Lippitsch (a.k.a. GumboYaYa)[]Trey Harrell (a.k.a. tharrell)[]Rens Heeren (a.k.a. Rens Heeren)[/ul]
[/li]
Camera - Using the pre-vis, layouts and animation tests as a guide … you’ll be setting the final camera placement, movement and settings to most effectively tell the story. Your task will most likely be the last step before the film hits the final render stage.[ul][li]Akin Bilgic[/ul]
[/li]
Editor - Lastly, the film is all put together. All elements will come together and you’ll put sound, music and renders together to produce a finished product ready for viewing. Working closely with the Director, you will add, remove or rearrainge elements to finish this film … on deadline! :smiley: This position may also assist with the development of the pre-vis reel in phase ONE.[ul][li]Brad Swardson (a.k.a. musicraker)[
]Trey Harrell (a.k.a. tharrell)[]Wyatt Harris (a.k.a. WyattHarris)[]Theresa Ryan (a.k.a. paperclip)[*]George Loch (a.k.a. motoxpress)[/ul]
[/li]

:: Positions Filled ::

Director/Writer: [ul][li]Kirt Stanke (a.k.a. Kirt)[/ul]
[/li]Responsibilities: Original creator of story, character ideas and preliminary storyboards. Will, through constructive critique, provide guidance to all members involved in the project to ensure that quality and vision of the short film remains consistant. Through the suggestions and experience of all team members involved in the film, gives final approval on all assets used in the final production of the film. Ensures that proper screen credit is given to those involved with the production of the film.

Production Manager: [ul][li]Theresa Ryan (a.k.a. paperclip)[/ul]
[/li]Responsibilities: Manages time and personel assets to ensure that production remains on schedule. Will keep in communication with artists to ensure work is being accomplished on or before deadlines. Will assign deadlines for each milestone. Will delegate tasks to other artists as needed if production falls behind schedule. Communicates to the Director any critical bottlenecks to the production timeline.

Technical Director: [ul][li]Shawn Mcclelland (a.k.a. M.E.L.)[/ul]
[/li]Responsibilities: Provides direction and specifications for the organization of film assets in relation to use with 3D, render and compositing software. Including naming conventions, directory structures and render pass technical details (a.k.a. our “go to guy” in all matters relating to 3D assets).

Animatic/Pre-Vis: [ul][li]Kieran Ingram (a.k.a. conundrum)[]Tobias Roediger (a.k.a. Velk)[]James Woodward (a.k.a. woodyradica)[/ul]Responsibilities: Creates a motion or animated representation of the preliminary storyboard ideas to assist animators visualize storytelling elements. May be required to re-visualize scenes or provide additional layout designs as needed.
[/li]
Modeling: [ul][li]Shane Richards (a.k.a. sphere)[*]Juha Saarinen (a.k.a. CornfielD)[/ul]
[/li]Responsibilities: Using 3D modeling application of choice, create all character and environment models needed for the production of this short film. Models must be exported into a format which is compatible with Maya 6.0.

Rigging: [ul][li]Juha Saarinen (a.k.a. CornFielD)[*]Shawn Mcclelland (a.k.a. M.E.L.)[/ul]
[/li]Responsibilities: Using Maya 6.0, create animator’s rig for each approved character model. Working closely with the animators and utilizing their feedback and critiques, modify rigs for animator’s needs and ease of use.

Animator: [ul][li]Trey Harrell (a.k.a. tharrell)[]Ryan Hagan (a.k.a. Remi)[]Robert Mack (a.k.a. DaddyMack)[/ul]
[/li]Responsibilities: Using Maya 6.0 and provided character models and rigs, animate assigned scenes in accordance to pre-vis layouts and director’s guidance. Must be able to make changes as recommended and adapt the animation of each scene to properly convey mood and character actions.

I guess this pretty much leaves me out. I signed up for screenwriting and texturing, but the story is done and you say you want procedural textures, so I guess I’ll stand on the sidelines for this one. I hope it works out so I can join in next time.

:frowning:

I put you down for textures anyway, in case we want to try non-procedural work. - Kirt

I’d be happy to help out with modelling. But, if needs be I could also do a bit of animating.

I think it may be wise to appoint people to certain jobs and then give them a deadline.

I have you in for modelling & animation. - Kirt

Hello I can help with modellling, rigging and lightning!

as kirt wrote there propably aint enough of modelling for two so…I dont mind if you leave me without of it, but I would like to help with something :slight_smile: !

after one and half weeks I can start to work with this(on my freetime)!

Modelling, rigging & lighting. Check. - Kirt

M & S ends on the 18th of May, so we’ll leave this project until the 20th, this way no one will have to be TOO pressurised. We can all discuss the project in this forum, but it won’t actually begin until the 20th. Does that sound OK to everyone?

Yeah i think that’s perfect. School is coming to an end now aswell so i like that idea =)

I think I can be of assistance in Modeling, texturing, shading and animation.

Modelling, texturing & animation. Check. Shading is textures, no? - Kirt

i love the story kirt, i’m certainly keen to help in anyway on the short film so i’ll put my hand up for either a layout or pre-vis position. i’ve never worked on a short film so you may want to use someone with a bit more experience (especially with the limited places). if you don’t need me i’ll definately be willing to work on any further projects though

You’re listed in pre-vis and layout. - Kirt

I’m gonna have drinks with the rigging department! :beer:

I use Maya at the mo… :deal:

You’re listed in rigging. - Kirt

I’d love to help out with lighting if possible :blush:

Lighting. Check. - Kirt

I don’t have a ton of time but I would be interested in working on the Animatic/Pre-vis stuff.

You’re listed in pre-vis and layout. - Kirt

im in for post-production and effects. I use Maya, After Effects, Photoshop and Final Cut Pro

this is awesome.

Have you listed under Editor. - Kirt

Sorry for editting everyone’s posts. But I find it easier to keep track of who I have listed already in the first post. This should keep things a little more organized, I hope. :smiley:

Another announcement … I’ve assigned production and time management tasks to Theresa Ryan (a.k.a. paperclip). She volunteered for the task and I really don’t think I’ll have the time to keep everything organized and on task by myself.

So, congrats to Theresa for stepping up to the plate. She’ll be bugging everyone in their WIP threads as we go along to make sure deadlines are being kept. If we start falling behind, she’ll delegate specific tasks to other individuals to make sure everything is getting done in a timely manner. :thumbsup:

I’ll be providing crits and feedback to everyone who’s posting work. I’ll be "OK"ing work as we go along and milestones that pass this step will be posted in a sticky thread for easier access.

Shading is textures, no?

[color=White]
Shading is materials, so yes in a way…

Re-apply when animation becomes available.

Gotcha
[/color]

I’m up for some lighting. If that’s cool, give me a shout :slight_smile:

Lighting. Check. - Kirt

Quick question…

Is this short going to run without sound or music? Sound FX? Is there going to be anyone acting as foley artist for this?

Sound and music are needed. So if you have any ideas or would like to start working on them, go right ahead. An early start means fewer things to worry about later down the road.

For music, we discussed this before when it was in the Mod only forum. We all thought that a piano arraingement would be enough. The music should definately not be grand and orchestral. Nice, simple and beautiful. That’s my only advice I can offer at this point … since I’m not a musician.

We’ll splice the pre-vis reel with rough animations as they become available. This will give anyone working on sound something to work on. But as of right now … I can’t see that you have much to work with.

Hi, my name is Benjamin and I really love 3D and I have a lot of work in my hands right now, but I would love the chance to do some collaborative work. If you still have some space I would be interested in some texturing…and maybe some modeling if time permits.

Let me know if you would like me to help. I am sorry that I don’t know all of your names, but I will learn over time.

I already have a perfect piano piece for this…simply with a soft beginning and a strong middle and end. It is only about 1 1/2 minutes long, but I write it so it can be played in a loop fashion if need be.I will get it recorded in the next couple of weeks and post it in here for all to see.

I graduate this Sunday and will be going to Jamaica with my wife for a week (reason for the delay).

Thanks,
Benjamin Dean
benjamin@shiverstudios.com

Textures, modelling and music. Check. - Kirt

Well, hey there from your production manager :smiley: As Kirt said, I’m going to be overlooking your work-- checking up on everyone to make sure they’re doing their stuff.

We’re going to aim for an mid-july deadline, but deadlines always run over by a bit, so this will give us time to wrap it up and throw a party before we give it over to Leonard for the ballistic stand :smiley:

I’m going to start organizing people on the 20th. Anyone who wants to start doing stuff before then, fine with me. Please post in a thread relevant to your position (i.e the screenwriting thread for these doing previz)

Previz people will have the earliest deadline. At the moment, I would like to hear your comments as to which program we should use for previz and how to present it.

Keep up the good work!
theresa