Silo 2.5 Feedback

Viktor and others with the missing msvcr100.dll issue (where Silo wouldn’t run/install and gave an error message saying there was a missing DLL):

We’ve just updated the installer on the site to include the DLL and the problem should be fixed. You can snag the updated installer by going to http://nevercenter.com/silo/download file and downloading the latest installer. (Win only, this wasn’t a Mac issue)

-Presque

This message pertains to the FBX files exported by Silo. I only use FBX in two programs, but neither of them can open Silo’s FBX files. The same model converted to FBX in Blender or the Autodesk FBX converter works fine.

In hopes that you can figure out the difference between the FBX that works and the FBX being generated by Silo, I have created a zip archive containing all the files used to create FBX output from the same OBJ. Here is a link to the Zip file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m1crquj3f6np5z8/siloFBX.zip?dl=0

Included in this ZIP archive, you should find the following files:

1. test4FBX.obj (An OBJ model of a cube, generated by SILO (most recent version))
  2. test4FBX.png (texture for the OBJ file)
  3. test4FBX.fbx (FBX file of the same model, generated by SILO)
  4. test4FBX_blender.fbx (FBX file of the same model… OBJ imported to Blender, then exported as FBX binary v7.4)
  5. test4FBX_blender_ascii.fbx (blender export FBX ascii v6.1)
  6. FBX_errorMSF.png, a screen capture of the error I get when trying to import the SILO FBX into my animation program
    (in hopes it will provide some clues about what the file is missing)

The Blender version of the FBX imports with no error.

If you have tools that let you view the internal differences, I’m hoping you can change Silo’s FBX export format (or at least offer a second export option) that provides the same information that the Blender version provides.

One request - OpenSubDiv to replace the current sub division.

Waiting for more Silo updates …

From what I understand FBX is an Autodesk proprietary format that they change often enough that developers get a headache trying to support it.

Maybe Silo 3D v.2.5.5, will be a big update with all the feedback from this thread and others :).

( One can only hope … :slight_smile: )

Can plug-ins or add-ons be developed and contributed by users for Silo?

I thought this might make for a dynamic and evolving set of community tools.

2.5.5 has been available for a small while (just incase no one noticed). http://nevercenter.com/silo/release_notes/

Segmented bevelling is now in. It seems a little slow when rounding bevels on high res text; (comparing against XSI and Blender)

When bevelling text faces, holes are ignored (same with inset scale). It would be great if bevel and inset scale could work with holes.

An option to automatically merge vertices of overlapping components would be useful with bevel and inset scale (maybe shell too) XSI calls it Manage Collisions. Another option to mark the edges of bevels as hard/creased (except segments of course).

Bevel op needs to stay live while editing segments.

Also, ticks on checkboxes would be nice :]

Windows 10: when i have a tool option docked and open another tool option through a keyboard shortcut, the previous name stays in the title :smiley:

Hi. Silo works great with Zbrush and in general. It just has 1 little annoying bug for me:

In the 2.5.6 beta, the buttons act as sticky keys always. I think it’s a bug, because in 2.3 it didn’t happen.
When I click an icon for example for extruding, then when I move the mouse it extrudes. If I do the same with a shortcut key or a menu option, I can go to the manipulator and drag from the little sphere as in the past.

Can this be disabled?

If it’s a bug: Having auto-sticky in icons is very uncomfortable. Please fix it.

Thanks

Hi and sorry if duplicate(s)

1. Undo shortcut doesn’t seem to work when focus is in editor input field, e.g. options for Cut. Undo works fine if i select it from menu
  2. Constraint to edge/face would be fine. Sometime the manipulator is oriented so that it is very difficult to move e.g. vertex, along edge, and none of the orient options doesn’t seem to be better :slight_smile:

Cheers
-kimmo

Constraint to edge/face would be fine. Sometime the manipulator is oriented so that it is very difficult to move e.g. vertex, along edge, and none of the orient options doesn’t seem to be better

You can use the snapping manipulator for this. Grab the end handle and mouse over the edge you want to move along. You can also use the regular manipulator aligned to face/edge normal and toggle Auto Orient off.

I tried to do as you said Cinnsealach: i turned snapping and manipulator manipulation (:smiley: - i.e. ‘m’ shortcut) on, and tried to snap it to one of the edges that are marked with red X…but it doesn’t seem to want to snap edges that are directly connected to vertex that i am moving. It works fine if snap to edge that is not directly connected, and in this case it would do the trick, but in some other case - e.g. curved surface - it doesn’t help.

Cheers
-k

I did not mean enable snapping :slight_smile:

There is a specific manipulator tool for snapping and aligning.
Selection>Manipulator Tool>Snap

You can use the end round handle to orient towards a specific component. The lower round handle snaps in the selected axis and the arrow moves without snapping.

Holy Batman! Thank you Sir.It’s always nice to learn something new and cool!

I’m dying to ditch maya and autodesk altogether, and so far silo3d is closest to what I would consider a true maya alternative for modelers. thanks for bringing it back to life, if we can have python scripting support for hotkeys and api documentation, perhaps numpy pre-installed, that would be a heaven, if that happens I would recommend every modeler at work to move away from maya haha. But in either case here are some suggestions from testing silo for few days.

split loop could have an option box to add multiple edge loops at once, bonus if we can do two loop split at given distance offset from coresponding end point of each ring edges so row of faces containing the two new loop get sharp edge on sbdv, this is a super time saver for text work etc. almost same as extruding and inset scale but doesn’t form a loop like extrude, also ensures all the corners would have same contour in sbdv, vs 2 x manual loop split slide won’t have exactly same offset on each execution.

clicking on manip handle axis should lock mouse button tweak to the axis. in maya clicking on center of manip resets axis lock.

for mouse selection, select thru should perform select visible on single click, select thru on drag. select visible always select visible.

paint selection mode would be more useful if it activates rectangular selection when mouse drag starts on outside of the model.

hotkey stack would be great ie assign multiple functions to same hotkey and cycle thru, please disable selection style mode hotkey toggling back to previous selection mode when pressed twice, it is confusing. either it should cycle all three or simply change to the mode assigned to the hotkey.

average normal flatten especially in edge mode is pretty much not useful. for edges, consider straightening selected edge loop using start/end vertices, bonus if there’s an option to re-distribute each edge to equal length. This function should apply for each continuous edge loop when multiple edge loops present in current selection

for face or vertex, straightening them using camera XZ space would be much more useful, ie use dot product between camera position to each component and get one far end, get the other end (furthest component selected using camera space XZ distance), flatten them using cross between a vector of the two points and camera view normal.

also it’d be useful to have “snap to closest vertex” / “snap to closest curve point”, as a button. vertex snap is super useful when combining two different parts and weld vertices, later for managing edge contour ie for vehicle, for example I would draw a curve using edge tool for side crease line of the vehicle as my guide, subdivide few times to make it a smooth curve, then while working on actual poly model, keep snapping edge flow for side crease back to the curve to keep the smooth flow.
bonus if these two tools only work in camera XZ space for ortho view. ie snap to closest vertex in front view calculates closest point only using world XY position of vertices, snap to closest vertex but does not modify Z value, same with snap to curve.

it’d be useful to have separate hotkey for flatten worldX/worldY/worldZ instead of changing option

snap to grid needs to be lot more sensitive, for now it snaps to grid when the component is very close to grid line, instead it should just snap to closest grid regardless of where they are

extrude face should create faces wether or not it has adjacent face . currently extrude on single face work properly generating four faces around it, but if one edge has face attached there, it only extrudes face where it has adjacent polygon, generating only one additional face there. At least there should be an option to not do this.

as mentioned above, we need freeze transform and object transform values displayed in numeric editor

slide should also work on vertices, slide along edge it’s on (perhaps drag up/down left/right decides which edge it would slide along) Option to prevent slide go past end of the edge (when vertices overlap), also option to slide using distance vs currently it’s proportional to edge length.

another bonus would be snap an object to another object’s pivot, way to copy object pivot between objects. it could use selection order ie first selected object’s pivot copied over to rest of the selection. for snap, target position could be last selected object’s pivot.

wireframe/normal/uvseams/texture also need toggle button work similar to show grid or show view images for single hotkey operation, there could be two mode, one toggle each object’s status or on/off globally using button status.

viewport image need options to change color gain / alpha value to darken up, it seems position doesn’t seem working (always behind asset). also we should be able to add image on persp cameras with depth control

option to turn Scene info to a hud, ie text over viewport somewhere like maya.

single vertex should still focus/frame just use general scene scale or adjacent component to gauge the zoom level.

Duplicate with transform/number of duplicates so we can easily create a custom array of meshes. Creating curve (poly line) using edge duplicate work as a workaround, though currently array doesn’t bake point normal into duplicate objects.

array should take edge / point normal or subdivided curve tangent into account, rotate instances accordingly

option to set partial vs fully enclosed convert between component, ie single edge converts to two faces it’s attached to like maya.

ability to re-arrange scene editor

break should keep pivot position of original object, currently rotation gets preserved but not position.

custom entry for scene info (specifically I’d like to see non manifold geometry there)

these are bugs I’ve experienced
-cmd and ctrl swapped on mac
-all three modifier (ctrl-alt-shift) hotkeys does’t work
-on my old laptop, having anti alias makes selection unstable, close vertices get selected together
-changes on “button editor -> tabs -> button page” need restart to get applied.
-hotkey on numeric keypad doesn’t work with modifiers (ie alt + * on keypad register as *)

Cheers!
Arnold

Is it possible to set custom smoothing angles or smoothing groups that can then be exported to supporting game engines?

For example in Blender I can set the model shading to Smooth then in the mesh properties set an Auto-smoothing angle from 0 to 180 degrees and export this model as an FBX to a game engine.