Silhouette Boy

This is a new project that I am working on. It would be a lie to say that I wasn’t inspired by Teddy Newton’s new short that precedes TS3, Day & Night. Unlike Pixar’s newest short, my story involves a shillouette of a boy whose emotions are purely motivated by the color on screen. Using color symbolism and an exaggerated animation style, the character cycles through the color wheel while on a roller coaster ride of emotion and stages of life. Eventually plan on adding my own music and more of the “subliminal” flashing images that help represent the notion of the color.

UPDATE
The Short is now complete. Please let me know what you think! Thanks for all who threw in suggestions and allowed me to improve my work!

CLICK HERE to see.

-JJ

Hi, looks like a lot of fun. I really like the use of the dollar bill flashing behind the green character. While that may make it resemble Day & Night a little more, I think adding A TON more of that behind all the characters would add a lot to it. But in stead of nice clear things have lots of flashing pics and pushing what you have for the green could possibly add a lot more dynamics. just my initial 2 cents. Looks to be a lot of fun!

Thanks Wilson. I definitely plan on incorporating more of the imagery. I’m glad you like it.

-JJ

UPDATE
I began to polish the first half. You will also see a noticable change in how the animation begins. Before, when starting with the color WHITE, I had the character static and lifeless as he floated onscreen. Now, I’ve decided to use the color WHITE as birth and innocence, I like what this change brings to the piece, a true life cycle…

CLICK HERE to see.

-JJ

Hey Jeremy,

The strongest thing to nail here obviously are the silhouettes, which you’ve done very well. You have a lot of great open poses. I’m having a hard time following what’s going on though. I understand the idea of color and emotions but is there more of a storyline to it? Is something sentient changing the colors? Is it reacting to his reactions? Is there some kind of conflict going on between the character and his environment?

I’d also like to see more of what you plan on doing with the background. You have some hints of it when he turns blue but the background could be as much of a character as the figure himself. With shifting shapes, patterns, and formations you could really exaggerate what he’s feeling and going through.

Finally, you mentioned something about a music track. Is there any way we can hear it in future versions? The ups and downs, tempo changes, dynamics, and punctuation (e.g. staccato vs legato) all play a huge part in how the animation turns out.

I can’t wait to see your next update. You really have an opportunity to make something beautiful here. Thanks for posting and good luck.

dpumpa,

First off, thanks for recognizing the effort involved in capturing the silhouettes. This was one of the biggest challenges presented in this project (there is reason behind the working title lol). With just a silhouette on display, the poses needed to be quite clear and read well.

To answer your first question, I really wanted to have the color just drive the onscreen action. For example as soon as a color is introduced, the action is instantly changed. At present, there is no struggle between the character’s emotions or the unwillingness to be controlled by the color.

Later on, I might do more with the background, so far I have just been implementing character props and some environmental props as well. I do intend on adding more imagery much like the green money images.

So far the music is just in my head, I realize that is a bit backwards but I intend on creating music tuned to the final animation, because I wanted to have the freedom of implementing any changes in timing.

Thanks for all the comments, I should have a new update later on today.

-JJ

Ok, I went through and began polishing and finalized timing on all but the very end. Things like hands and feet and overlap in general has not been tackled yet. I really feel this tying together and looking like the initial idea I had in my head. I have yet to add music or the imagery I want, for that is really a compositing step that I will do after the animation is final. Please let me know what you think. Click the link below for my most current render…

CLICK HERE to see.

-JJ

More Polish. I feel this project coming to a close pretty soon. At this point I just need to complete the detailed polish phase where I handle things like fingers and toes, more offsetting on the controls and maybe editing some of the prop animation. Please let me know how you think it is coming along so far.

CLICK HERE to see.

-JJ

Alright, the animation is final! All I have left is some heavy post work, introducing imagery and music and all. Please let me know of anything that could use improvement. Thanks!

CLICK HERE to see.

-JJ

Hey, one thing that has been nagging me. During the yellow phase, the right leg keeps getting overextended on the snaps. I don’t know if that was intentional but that’s all I can see now. I think you could pull the legs in a bit and not lose anything in the silhouette.

Other then that I got nothing. Good Job.

Thanks David,

The leg posture in the yellow phase was initially intentional. Mainly to contrast the low set position in the red so the change was more noticeable as he rose into the dancing yellow mood, but it is indeed something funky that is now clear to me as well. Thanks for letting me notice it, some of these things sure do slip by when you’ve seen something almost too much haha. Thanks for the input, I will definitely apply it to my scene. What are you working on at the moment Mr. Pumpa?

-JJ

Big thing right now is I’m getting ready to move out to San Diego to start my internship at Pendulum. Other then that, I’m doing a short animation demonstrating weight and I’m also finishing up a small assignment for our buddy Mr. Springer. You can see the weight thing WIP here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRYWzpJ-i_Y

I replaced a section of it last week so I’ll have to get that up tomorrow.

Wow. nice sense of weight. I really like the quick jump he does at 0:03 to start REALLY pushing. The pose near the end with his fists and teeth clenched is great, a lot of strain shown in the character here. But most of all I like the pacing of this short scene. It starts off leisurely with just enough time to be introduced to the character then the conflict appears and there is a lot of texture in the animation. He starts off fighting it off, then corrects his body and gets more involved, followed by a larger, more intense push, then he eases back into a less intense state.

How will it end? Who is on the other side of the door?

I would add some more screen time for the surprised reaction on his face when the door first bursts open (I had to pause the video just to see if he did indeed look surprised) he just goes from relaxed to surprised to grimacing while struggling with the door way too fast.

Also, the hands seem to stick a lot and the knees pop a couple times but I am sure this is something you plan on smoothing over in you future updates. Good stuff man! very comical! :thumbsup:

UPDATE
Now that the project is near complete and the animation is FINAL, I’ve applied some of the features that I had in mind for the boys face on all of the color stages. I have begun sound design as well and planned out all the musical cues I intend to use. More on that soon…

CLICK HERE to see.

-JJ

The Short is now complete. Please let me know what you think! Thanks for all who threw in suggestions and allowed me to improve my work!

CLICK HERE to see.

-JJ

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.