Siggraph 2003

Hey folks,

This year will be my first appearance at Siggraph and im very much looking forward to it, i know its still a long ways away, but i was just wondering what I can be in store for… cost wise, experience wise and such…

any shared experiences will be awesome!!

thanks

Jobs Galore! And lots of Beatiful women!

The First time I went, I wasn’t even close to prepared for the Craziness. Have you ever seen those commercials for Girls gone wild? It was almost exactly like that. Except instead of flashing their bodies, it was software.

Then ILM came up to me and said, “Hey, wHy don’t you come and be animation supervisor for Dragonheart?”

And I was like, “nah”

It was so cool.

hmmmm, siggraph eh…well

PARTYS PARTYS PARTYS!!!

be prepared to wake up with a hangover every morning!!! It is a week of CG, film, games and MAD PARTYS WITH LOTS OF LIQUOR AND WOMEN!!!

its like a nerds version of disney world…the happiest place on earth!

its a freakin blast! I cant wait to see everyone again!!!

A lot of CG Companies recruit year round so there is not as much of a recruiting frenzy as there use to be at Sigg.
But it’s still a experience you should try :thumbsup:

i didn’t think siggraph was all that great, i mean, it was fun but it didn’t ‘change my life’ or anything … . . mostly it was just cool to be in such a creative environment ---- if you want the girls and parties and such, then E3 is for you

Send your tape and get interviews setup before you goto siggraph. Don’t wait till you get there to drop them off. Alot of the drop boxes of tapes won’t even get reviewed or they will get “lost” in the back room because there are so many of them.

I don’t know what parties gentle fury goes to, But I’ve never been to a good siggraph party.

Oh wait. New orleans DD party. oh man…

yeah. some of them are pretty good.

Yeah, this year will be my first year, too. It’s finally close enough that I can acutally afford to get there. I can’t wait.

I don’t know what parties gentle fury goes to, But I’ve never been to a good siggraph party.

yup

Siggraph is like the older geekier brother of e3.
I went this past summer it was really fun and I met alot of industry people and saw alot of cool products but it there weren’t tons of hot women or anything like that ( I was with my girlfriend anyway). I did go to one fun party it was the opening reception there were 3 differen’t music room one of which was dance music and it turned out really fun and I ended up really drunk and sweaty. but anyway well worth the trip if you’ve never been.:wavey:

Originally posted by AWAKE
[B]I don’t know what parties gentle fury goes to, But I’ve never been to a good siggraph party.

Oh wait. New orleans DD party. oh man…

yeah. some of them are pretty good. [/B]

what about Nothing Real in LA…or Kaydara’s this year in San Antonio (which i didnt get to go to…but heard all about it the rest of the week :annoyed: )

but most of em are pretty cool (if they arent just a promotion for a product) and hey…most parties are fun when you are piss drunk!!!

i thought Newteks party was a lot of fun in San An too :slight_smile:

I was actually at the Kaydara party. It wasn’t too bad. I think the best part was the nerd fight on the dancefloor.

Funniest moment Ever at Siggraph.

Originally posted by AWAKE
I think the best part was the nerd fight on the dancefloor.

Lemme guess…they went buck wild with the plastic Lightsabers, huh?

It was the best.

one guy was so drunk he ran into another guy, and they started wrestling on the floor. while the stripper girl they hired was doing her show.

The guy was soooo ****ed up.

neither of the guys were really that big, so fighting looked silly.

…and I’m such an asshole, I’m cheering it on.

:bounce: :applause: :thumbsup: :buttrock: :beer: :airguitar :xtreme: :scream:

Originally posted by dmonk
I did go to one fun party it was the opening reception there were 3 differen’t music room one of which was dance music and it turned out really fun and I ended up really drunk and sweaty. but anyway well worth the trip if you’ve never been.:wavey:

That party WAS aweosme! Somebody ended up giving me a roll of beer tickets that I sumarily took advantage of. Paid for it the next morning, though.

The opening reception is the one to go to. Most of the companies are there too. Just don’t drink TOO much.

DB

>>Just don’t drink TOO much.

yea, you don’t want to goto an interview the next day and the interviewer says “I remember you, your the dumbass that got in a fight on the dance floor last night” or “Your the one that puked on my shoes”.

They will really want to hire you after that. 10 brownie points to you! :slight_smile: Atleast they will never forget your face for future interviews. :slight_smile: You don’t want to be remembered for being a dumbass since your face/name will probably be burned into their memory. This is a really small industry and impressions are very important. For example I went to a training seminar in toronto, then moved to LA 6 months later. The guy who was teaching the training seminar in toronto was one of my supervisors on my first job in LA. I didnt even know he was at the company untill they gave me the tour of the place. He had just been hired that day. If I had been a nut bag at the seminar he would only have had to tell the producer I was interviewing with to not hire me and it would be all over.

I had no interviews and I was reakky stressed about a panel we were giving so I had a few. Not enough to embarass myself just enough to get me on the dancefloor and loosen up. I think I saw some of the interviewers in that room getting pretty wild as well so go figure. :smiley: :scream: :buttrock:

We certainly tore it up at the opening reception - nothing like seeing your boss hammered and dancing on the platfor/cage at the opening party.:beer:

There is nothing better that a SIGGRAPH conference to get your EGO deflated.
I remember quite clearly, the open portfolio review process in SIGGRAPH 98 that was just plain brutal. People were leaving in tears from that room.

By the way, I do agree with beaker. You have to do your homework, BEFORE the conference. If you are serious about getting a job, you should contact the companies before the conference, and tell them that you are coming over.

But if you go only to party, there are more than enough parties to satisfy that need.

-Roberto

PS: Does anybody remember that “Matrix Chick” in one of the booths at SIGGRAPH 99?

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.