Short Film: "Paul and His Bananas"

I’d like to show here the WIP on Bishop Animation’s first short film, “Paul and his Bananas”.

“Paul and His Bananas” is an educational short film geared toward young children who are just learning to count.

I’m a dad with two children of my own, a four year old and a one year old. If you are not a parent, you would not believe the junk that passes for educational or entertainment nowadays (I sound like I’m 80 years old right there).

I decided to make a short film for kids that looks as good as possible, is entertaining, and tries not to talk down to kids.

I’m hoping to make a film that is in the same vein as the Sesame Street animated segements from the 70’s and early 80’s… things like the “Ladybug Picnic” or “The Alligator Prince” if any of you remember those.

Music will play a big part in the piece. We’ve got “Invader Zim” composer Kevin Manthei on board to score the short film.

We hope to have the film ready for a July premiere.

Several CGTalk regulars are helping out on this, and I hope to post regularly on our progress.

Have a look and let us know what you think.

looks promising floyd…

You’re right about the sad state of children’s entertainment - when i was a kid we had schoolhouse rock!

I’m looking forward to updates :slight_smile:

-Kol.

Here’s some concept art for one of the minor characters:

Some bees that chase Paul and the Bananas.

Here’s a quick test of the dynamic tail approach I plan on using for the monkey character…

Monkey tail test

a bit too much jiggle there in the tail. r u using bones?

I’m using a joint chain driven by a spline IK hooked up to a softbody curve. This was more of a test of the softbody/spline IK technique rather than a final anim test.

I think the problem I’m having on this test is the curve translates up with the body, making the end of the tail rise too early.

I’ll be testing this more before it’s final application.

haha i LOVE the bees :slight_smile: they make me laugh. this whole project looks like it will be quite high-quality.

i didn’t download the movie (downloading video on a modem is… useless) but i’m hoping the end result will look like the same style as the concept drawings. i don’t know how difficult that’ll be to reproduce in 3d.

Here’s the concept of Devon the Magician…

and here is the CG model, a few steps away from completion…

That’s a very promissing WIP thread. The shown characters look very funny and I’d love to see them in action.

The first CGI model seems to be very good as far as I can see. It’s very close to the sketch above.

Keep going… I like the idea of a childrens movie very much… not the usual hack’n’slay overload.

wow, this is a great idea. I’m impressed, and I think I might keep an eye on this thead. good luck!

Nice plug from ntmonkey to this thread over in general discussions. But a good one nonetheless.

The images posted so far look really good. They have a nice sense of style and color, and the 3D model looks great. Keep on workin!

hey floyd!!!

this looks really good. like the concepts and all. can’t wait to some more… espesially the cg of the monkey

Originally posted by Floyd Bishop
[B]

[/B]

The style of the concept looks very look alike the pluoffes design , plouffe on this forum

here’s his website

overall very nice job , hope too see the short soon :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Ac0rN
[B]The style of the concept looks very look alike the pluoffes design , plouffe on this forum

here’s his website

overall very nice job , hope too see the short soon :slight_smile: [/B]

You’ve got a great eye. Plouffe’s doing all the concept stuff for the short. The reason the designs look like his are because they ARE his.

Originally posted by WhiteRabbit.obj
[B]Nice plug from ntmonkey to this thread over in general discussions. But a good one nonetheless.

The images posted so far look really good. They have a nice sense of style and color, and the 3D model looks great. Keep on workin! [/B]

I thought a few more eyes on us wouldn’t hurt. Plus, I believe in this project 100% myself.

We’re really excited on what this will turn out to be. Floyd’s done an amazing job getting the right people on board. I don’t know how he does it, but it’s done. It’s a breath of fresh air to see that a short doesn’t always have to include bombs, breasts, and booty in order to garner attention. Keep your eyes glued gang!

peace,

Lu

Came by via ntmonkey’s plug as well.

I LOVED the “Alligator Prince” segment in Sesame St. - in fact Sesame St was a staple diet for me growing up. Too much trash distracting kids from the real deal nowadays. Or has Sesame St lost its lustre/quality?

I love the designs for the characters. Are you going to give the final renders those marker/watercolor look as well? That’d be cool.

I’m a dad myself and I’m glad to see someone’s working on using their incredible skills to help in the education of their kids. I’m hoping I can do something like that myself some day too.
I think being animators we have an advantage in actually being able to provide some (if not most) of the content that children get to watch.

I for one can’t wait to see this project completed.

This is a great idea and I am looking forward to the updates and the finished products, so far the concepts and initial models are top notch - keep up the work and keep those regular updates coming.

On a side note : as a father of a 2 year old little girl, I too try to monitor and control what she watches. The DisneyChannel and LeapFrog DVDs are her main source of educational programing. LeapFrog in my opinion is the leader in children education today, my 2 year can count to 20, recite the entire alphabet, knows them all by character and can tell you every sound each letter makes, I must admit, that is the best money I have ever spent on a DVD set.

Here’s the first character to make it all the way through to final render. Since this is a beauty image, I did some minor retouching in Photoshop… brightening the eyes, and whitening the teeth a bit.

More cool stuff to come in the weeks ahead… keep watching this space.

-i will, i will…

looks great… like the hard edges on the hat and pants.