Sharp Convex & Concave Edges on a Curve

Hello,

I’m trying to hold a couple of sharp convex & concave corners with some support spans in a SubD model. I’m trying to keep the curvature of the shape in X, but the sharpness in Z. After I get the topology correct, this panel will be extruded. Can you please advise me on how to achieve this?

I’ve tried a few things using Shrink Wrap…

I’ve also tried a SubD weight tag. Nothing has worked though…lots of pinching! Here’s my scene file if that’s easier:
Panel 3.2.obj.zip (2.1 KB)

Thank you!

This is a pretty tough one, but you I tested it out and found that your best bet is probably the Sub D weights. Though at least in my software (MODO), I can switch between 2 types of subdivision - Catmull Clark and Some other algorithm which apparently is faster. But for edge weights I only use Catmull Clarck, it gives me way better results.

I tried fixing it Bevels, kind of like you did, but I got pretty bad results especially on concave edges as they start folding in.

Here is how you actually fix it and get the best results:

1. Add a ton of geometry, I mean there should at least be 4 times more geometry, so you get additional loops supporting that curvature and adding tension to those sharp edges. Also make sure you add that geometry by Subdiving the mesh, not adding edge loops. And get rid of those Bevels.

2. Add a little bit of edge weights to those sharp corners.!