Share your secret weapon...!

it’s recompiled for 4.5?
:slight_smile:
hmmm… i haven’t find any place where i can download it yet. are u going to share this compiled drawsplit for 4.5 with us?

Originally posted by kfc
it’s recompiled for 4.5?
:slight_smile:
hmmm… i haven’t find any place where i can download it yet. are u going to share this compiled drawsplit for 4.5 with us?

isn’t that the draw split tool contained in the bonus game package from AW ? if you are refering to this tool then it’s available on AW’s support site

yep, its recompiled since end of december.
just grap it from the alias site.

Flo

o_O one more that ive just discovered.

ieForMaya (www.highend3d.com), lets you have a IE panel in maya so you can view PDFs tutorials and helpfiles with ease without alt tabing or clumsily flicking between apps.

Its Geeerrrraaat:bounce:

Any script with the initials js in front of it…a freakin life saver :slight_smile:

Oh…yes…and xdugef…but if it is the technique that I am thinking about…it’s nothing new…Nurbs modelers have been using that techniques sinse back in 95. …:smiley:

oh and one other thing I could never live without…My secret weapon of all weapons… :beer: …mmmm

A couple of scripts I always use:

detachSeparate

Nuke history, Reattach skin (I think the script’s called fixWeights). Lets you delete the history from a skinned mesh without losing the weighting info without messing about.

other than that, mostly just the regular stuff; the extrude tools, subdivide, Split poly.

also useful very useful are Dirk Bialluchs

randomizeChannel
randomizePoints

scripts.
I esp. like randomizeChannel since its such a clever use of mayas nodes to accomplish something “new” (he uses a fractal shading node to randomize animation).

renderWindo
script is also really great. Help out a lot when you need to batch render out of the uior want to batch render regions (animated textures) etc.

btw, if anyone has some experience with particles. i’m having difficulties rendering my scenes in batch. some of them take like 5 minutes to pre-process before starting render (2.4gigaherz dual machine, 10k polys, about 5000 particles, all is cached, no raytracing, 1 light). withouth renderWindo i’d have a huge problem with my testrenders …

matthias

Difficult to say what my favourite tool in Maya is, The appication is so flexable…In terms of Modeling i’m more of a nurbs man, so i’d say a CV Curve tool with Cubic output. And the Ableness to biral and Loft is a part of that. Tessalation leveling in the attribute editor is commonly used in some areas, which has been known to make me happy.

Other than that, Hypershade is great too…It connects us to photoshop and the UV’s of our surfaces.

Can’t think of anything else i might abuse more than that although i dig the whole package.

WHOA!!! sasquatch, ive been looking for those scripts for my whole entire life! could you please tell me where i can get them?

Anyone here use the MOVE tool? I find it indispensible when modeling. :stuck_out_tongue:

“But seriously folks,” I’m just learning Maya and this thread is opening up a world of possibilities, as I was just thinking the other day how I keep discovering these tools in Maya. I can’t wait to know Maya well enough to try the plug-ins from the A|W and Highend 3d sites.

Currently, I’m learning to use the Artisan sculpting tools by doing the Jack-In-The-Box tutorial from Learning Maya. I’m totally impressed with it, but it’s pissing me off to no end at the same time. I like using it with my Wacom tablet… Happy Happy, Joy Joy!

-Bad Mange

Hey guys, i just wanted to throw in the paint selection tool, i started to love it when i was working on lots of cylindrical shapes for some catheter stuff. Its so cool to simply draw your selection onto the object, and by the way. The backface components are not selected and by the simple artisan hotkeys you can define the brush when it doesnt suit your wishes. maybe someone finds that usefull :slight_smile:

Wrap deformer/ negative Wrap deformer 2 for one blend shapes.

When I do blendshapes for cartoons, I need to build view dependent morph targets, biased for right side, and left side viewing. I discovered that if i use two wrap deformers on a symetrical model (one negative, one posative) I could get 2 blend shapes for the price of one and I wouldnt even have to bake it… The blend shapes blend nicely togather! which means you can hand one side off to the other as the character rotates… I’ve used this trick to derive left and right sides and repair models with screwed up point order as well.

If you want to test it for yoursel I suggest making a 3 spheres and one negative sphere (scaled at -1 on x) and then create a blend shape from one sphere to both a posative and negative sphere… then use those posative and negative spheres as a wrap deformer on the remaining sphere… then test the blend shapes and mix them ands see how nicely they blend.

Originally posted by sasquatch
[B]A couple of scripts I always use:

detachSeparate

Nuke history, Reattach skin (I think the script’s called fixWeights). Lets you delete the history from a skinned mesh without losing the weighting info without messing about.

other than that, mostly just the regular stuff; the extrude tools, subdivide, Split poly. [/B]

wow, that would have saved me a lot of work… well practice is good for the craft eh?

is that included with maya, or a dawnload somewhere?

hmmm… my secret weapon? well, I do know that nurbs surface fillets make ANYTHING look good :scream:

hehe, anywho… im just putting all this stuff into my own personal maya book, anyone want a copy? :smiley:
Cheers,
:beer:

i have the bonus tools for 5. i had them for 4.5, but i could never get the draw split tool to work. can someone walk me through it, it says soemthing like select a edge and a neighboring face? i tried and could never get it to work. just a exp would be really apprecited. tahnks

some of my favorite scripts are.

xyz average.
loop split
delete edge.

Like Levita, I have no clue how drawSplit works. I install it in bonusGames 5 but don’t understand how or what it requires to draw or split.

As for my secret weapon, it’s this forum. :thumbsup:

Okay someone please make a list and site that all these can be found at, I ran into some sites that came back wrong… As for my fav. maya tool, it would have to be the exit button… After long hours of staring at a model I find it a great tool. Split poly and connectPolyShape are probley my most used tools. Although there are the few hotkey tool that I have customized for better work flow.And for all those of you that are new to maya, try hiding all your unused windows and learn to use the hotbox. You’ll be amazed at how much space you have to model/animate in… Well just words of my vice…MAYA… Love her, Hate her, Need her… damn nows she’s callig me to play!!!:surprised

ok, Here’s the basic gist of drawsplit:
(5 sec tutorial :bounce: )

Polyconnect Sub-d hands down. I’m surprised that no one listed it yet. It is just like CPS but uses Sub-d’s instead of polys. The script is on highend-3d.:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

My favourite id guess wouldnt be that special and its not a tool but a great method. its simple to :slight_smile:
First i get the basic shape outta nurbs then covert em to polys, then work out details then SUBD BABY! :slight_smile:

So Nurbs-Polys-SubD. Thats a way of life
Special thanks to StevenStahlberg for introducing it too me.