Shader/lookdev/mymentalray

I was trying to do exactly that…

we are doing some crazy rock/earth stuff at work…

I would take my bump…inflate…and prep a high frequency displacement on low level mesh…

the z-brush artist could blend his deep sculpt with the hi-frequency on steroids through a morph target…literally picking what was dominat in spots…some spots like dirt would have a high frequency grainy dirt leaning towards bump…and the deep rocks and chunks of dirt…the Z-brush sculpt would be dominant…

In essence it gave the modeler the control

inturn I would blend a hint of cavity map in…to marry the deep sculpt to the bump (ish) scuplt…

all of a sudden you could have a complex colormap…and harmonize it with z-brush sculpt…

Nice… this kind of workflow would go well with some kind of procedural rock/earth shader in maya pumping out the textures. Since allot of earth/rock organics can be mimiced with procedural textures, You simply need some sort of mask map to dictake where you want certain procedural textures.

Need to see this example of procedural dirt…

in the movie we have large jutting peice of earth that come shooting up (Kind of like the crystals in Superman)…(camera Hero)

We gave a broad range of dirt samples…ranging from various topsoil (with roots, pebbles, and rocks embeddeed) , blending that into compressed clay, which then turns more bedrock…which we could art direct to the director’s desire…

Procedural dirt looked OK from a distance…but we have Dylan Cole doing spot matts for the wides…and anythign close to camera gets my maps on it…(which is dead tight down to roots embedded into dirt)…

I know programs like geo control, terregen arent bad at distances…would love to see a good example of the procedural shaders…

…my name is mudd

sounds cool, you would think that procedural textures would look good up close. I do agree from doing a small test it would take much more R&D to fully realize a full blown procedural solution. Although I’d rather use it as a base to start from and then mix in the other techniques your talking about. Maybe a proceduarl tweak to start a base texture and maybe that zbrush trick along with plane old modeling and even some tileable texture samples could give quick dirty solutions. Yea geo control and terragen are those kind of programs that simply look good from a distance, but I’ve seen programs like dark tree textures and even maya’s hypershade procedurals to produce good results when mixed and tweaked properly. Plus if you guys have a super nerd that could program even more procedurals textures, ala like renderman… I did sit down and do a little test here is the result, not the greatest, would need alot more research and sample matching, but you get the point…

Here is the hypershade view of the shader setup, it could be allot more complex. This was just a quick and dirty example…

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.