SGI to cut 600 more jobs -SJ Mercury

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/6632976.htm

Silicon Graphics / SGI continues to bleed money. I asked at the last stockholder meeting if Alias/Wavefront would be divested since it did not fit in the framework laid out in the company strategy.

The response was Yes, if they could find a suitor with an acceptable offer for A/W percieved value.

I think that there are too many execs that suck enamored with the Hollywood side of the A/W involvement in SFX. They will drag down A/W with the mothership. I hope they divest from Alias very soon. It is difficult to attract/retain new/old talent when the parent company is imploding.

this month’s issue of Business 2.0 has a very interesting article specifically about CRAY and it’s tenious relationship with SGI. it made me wonder about Alias’ relationship with SGI.

wow , looks like the Sgi stock is cheaper than a pack of gum.

0.98 cents as of today :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Sheep Factory
[B]wow , looks like the Sgi stock is cheaper than a pack of gum.

0.98 cents as of today :rolleyes: [/B]

.98 cent whoa thats crazy i thought it would be higher than that whats going on??

Crap…
Does this mean SGI is going to be bankrupt soon?

Alias might be sold?

:shrug:

50,000 CG talk members.

How much do we all need to chip in to buy Alias?

Originally posted by wgreenlee1

It could be…PC’s and Mac’s rules the market these days :slight_smile:
Like Itanuim, Opteron, G5, Dual things, etc…and lots of brandnew Extreeme Box :slight_smile:

nah , If you guys go and check , SGI’s stock is bouncing between 0.50 <=> 1.50 for the last two years.

they have big goverment contracts that’ll keep em going until the goverment\military starts buying intel\amd systems from dell or something :slight_smile:

Example: ASCI White

http://www.llnl.gov/asci/platforms/white/hardware/

Google will be leasing the former SGI property.

SGI might survive as a real estate company.

Originally posted by Peter Reynolds
[B]50,000 CG talk members.

How much do we all need to chip in to buy Alias? [/B]

$1,000 per member.

If we time it correctly, we’ll be able to run a CGTalk buyout of SGI
for $8/person :slight_smile:

That would be brilliant!!
Count me in!!

:applause:

Does anyone remember where nVidia’s engineers came from?

After nVidias success SGI sued…

[i]“We believe this action is motivated by the loss of some of the best 3D architects in the world to NVIDIA Corporation,” said Jen-Hsun Huang, president and CEO of NVIDIA.

“These people had no involvement in the design of NVIDIA’s current RIVA graphics processors which are the subject of the alleged patent infringement. NVIDIA is prepared to vigorously defend itself.”[/i]

Then they kissed, made up… and went to bed…
http://www.businesswire.com/webbox/bw.081099/192220199.htm

Wonder where SGI’s fortunes will head now?

richcz3

Originally posted by richcz3
Does anyone remember where nVidia’s engineers came from?

I remember that quite well, yes.

I wonder what their next workstation will be like? Another $20k
monstrosity with 1-4 souped up embedded processors?

Wonder where SGI’s fortunes will head now?

What fortunes? SGI has fortunes? :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Pixelmaestro
[B]Example: ASCI White

http://www.llnl.gov/asci/platforms/white/hardware/

Google will be leasing the former SGI property.

SGI might survive as a real estate company. [/B]

Unfortunatly SGI sold off most of it’s land and made a deal to leasing that land back from the company it sold it too for just the buildings they had left over for operations. The land itself was worth millions(270million according to a website I found). I went to their campus back in 1998 for training and it was huge. Very beautifull architecture and buildings with lots of open land and trees with trails and such. Sad that they had to part with most of it.

Originally posted by wgreenlee1

they only did it to themselves.

good damn riddence IMO.

Originally posted by CADster
they only did it to themselves.

I definitely agree with you there.

Looks like it could be time for Apple to step in and take Alias|wavef, er, I mean Alias off of SGIs collective hands…

Mmmm, Apple Maya Unlimited…!

Flame on!

;^p

Well, not sure and i am really got shocked when i see SGI keep pumping out data storage servers and stuff. The workstation is still wooing me when i fell in love with the SGI Fuel. Ya it is expensive… really expensive.

Alson, i dont think Apple will but Alias. Coz in thier mind there is no way for them to improve thier computers to be a renderbox and stuff. IF those high-end gfx companies started to port thier cards into Apple line… wow, there we are, a new breed of 3dbox and renderbox with style… just like Alienware and Boxx

I truly weep for a company with so much potential that just seemed to keep flushing $$ down the toilet. Case in point:

In 1998 or so when SGI spent $170 million on a new building in Mountain View, they created an architectural marvel for their new headquarters. It was a beautiful building, but there were a few problems…

1. There was a section of the building which was all glass, and many of the executives had their offices in this area. The glass sections though, were angled, and this literally caused people who had offices in this area vertigo. Some people were so nauseous they had to turn their desks away from the glass so they wouldn’t ralph.

2. Air conditioning ducts were routinely blowing people out of their cubes, quite literally. Many people couldn’t even work in their designated spaces because it was like an icebox.

3. The wiring for networks, phones, etc. was set up to be a design element of the building, and if you looked up you’d see it all in these metal trays that ran throughout the building. As time went on, these trays got really screwed up, and wires started protuding from all areas, and got really unwieldy.

And that was just their new building, forget about their actual products. Anyone remember the Visual Workstation? Best thing about it was the long sleeved shirt I got at the launch. :slight_smile:

Chris

Oh, and screw Rick Belluzzo. He left SGI for Microsoft, and I am CONVINCED he was sent to SGI to try to bankrupt it. It’s the only logical explanation, considering what he did when there.