Senior Engineers at LUX - all

http://www.luxology.com/company/engineers.aspx

Senior Engineers

The Luxology development staff brings a diverse set of skills and perspectives to the company. Most of these engineers come from fields outside ordinary commercial software development and have direct experience from the 3D production industries of gaming, television and film. The staff includes:

Matthew Craig

Matthew was the engineer responsible for all Macintosh ports of LightWave 3D® beginning with version 5.6. He single-handedly ported LightWave 3D to Mac OS X. Matthew also contributed to the LightWave toolset by creating the graph (envelope) and image editing systems in LightWave 3D [6], [6.5], [7] and [7.5]. Matthew was with the LightWave development team for nearly 6 years before he chose to join Luxology. Matthew’s master’s work was in the area of multi-processor computing, a talent and background that Luxology is already putting to great use.

Gregory Duquesne

Gregory Duquesne is an industry expert in the areas of surface shading and volumetric rendering. With a background in games development as the Art Director for the award winning French title, “L’Amerzone,” Gregory brings a unique mix to the team as an engineer. His pioneering work in volumetric rendering resulted in the pyroclastic and organic rendering tool, HyperVoxels™. Duquesne was also responsible for the LightWave surface editor as well as several other rendering tools in LightWave 3D. In 2001 Duquesne left the LightWave development team to travel the world with his wife. Upon their return Gregory joined forces with Luxology.

Mark Brown

Mark Brown is the creator of several LightWave plug-ins including Key Track, IK-Blender, and Motion Mixer™ (a non-linear animation tool). Motion Mixer was acquired for its inclusion with LightWave 3D [7]. Brown originally wrote Motion Mixer to assist him in his work in games development. Mark has worked as both a programmer and an animator in gaming, and this unique experience can be seen in his natural ability to create tools with focused technology and a natural workflow. Mark joined Luxology in 2002.

Joe Angell

Joe Angell has been a tools programmer in games development, television and film. Joe created the Spreadsheet and trackview tools that were acquired for their inclusion with LightWave 3D [7], as well as many production tools that he has given freely to the LightWave community. Joe officially joined Luxology in early 2002. His production experience has proven very valuable to the development team as it provides him with an eye for tools that will have high impact in the very difficult production environment.

Eric Soulvie

Eric Soulvie has created many tools for the 3D community, including the shaders BESM and gMIL that he gave to NewTek for their inclusion with LightWave 3D [7]. BESM is an advanced cartoon rendering shader that is used extensively at Nickelodeon and other production studios. gMil is a per-surface rendering tool that provides a streamlined approach to global illumination. Eric has worked in gaming, television and film on the production side as both an animator and a tools programmer. Most recently Soulvie completed work on 3D tools for The Matrix Reloaded (The Matrix 2) and The Matrix Revolutions (The Matrix 3) at ESC Entertainment.

Arnie Cachelin

Before joining the Emmy-award winning Video Toaster development team in 1991, Arnie Cachelin left the National Institute of Standards and Technology’s Joint Institute for Laboratory Astrophysics in Boulder, CO to become the founding Technical Editor of AmigaPLUS magazine in San Francisco. Arnie contributed his talents for research and engineering to the world-renowned LightWave 3D package as a senior developer from 1994 to 2002. He was the technical editor for Inside LightWave 3D, and has been published in the SIGGRAPH Image-based Lighting course materials for the past 3 years. When he is not playing with graphics algorithms, Arnie enjoys skiing, ultimate and haiku. Arnie earned Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in Physics from Wesleyan University.

Jason Linhart

Jason Linhart was a driving force behind the LightWave 3D web site from 1998 until 2002. His expertise is in the areas of graphic design, database development and web site automation. With a background in Art/Design and Computer Science, Jason brings a unique mix to the Luxology website, keeping it well-designed inside and out for a smooth user experience. Jason’s expertise is also being leveraged in the area of user education materials, as he has helped pioneer several techniques for Luxology in our quest to deliver dynamic user material at lower bandwidths.

Thats basically Lightwave 3D 7 in a nutshell also the originators of LW (hasting and Stuart). Who in the heck stayed?

Bob Hood and Jamie Finch, although Jamie left before 6.5 I believe and just came back for 8. Ernie wright is now going back to school, so he has nothing to really do with development now either.

so, basically Bob, Jamie, new ppl and a few ppl from other newtek projects are on LW development now…look at the about in LW, it tells you a bit

Reading these guys bios, you just know that it’s a hell of a lot more than just a souped-up modeler that they’re toiling away on! :slight_smile:

I got to say here the hasting and Stuart havn’t done the best thing here to any Lightwaver:sad:

first they rewrite lightwave for 6 & cock it up, but 6.5 was useful and by the time they release Lightwave 7 they already thinking of leaving lightwave & Newtek to open the own Luxology ( they only stayed long enough for one full update !!!:sad: )
Again to rewrite a completely New 3D apps ( wasn’t that the idea behide the rewrite of LW 6?:shrug: ) and Newtek have to Find code talent to fill the gap and stepping in someone else code is always going to be hard work ( i think LW 8.5 is going to be special And 8.0 was a pretty go job :thumbsup: )

so to me it feels that they know the job they done on the rewriting of Lightwave 6 wasn’t as good as it should have been. ( Maya’s & XSI scripting that goes to the core and is shown to be the way it should have gone for big studio to uses it ) and basic stuff like edge weighting in the model format and other basic 3D stuff wasn’t in LW 6 and hasting and Stuart left it like that, because they don’t give a F*#k

and whatever Luxology releases it hasn’t got a user base at all !!! and with that price,
I’m would feel better giving my $$ to XSI

Utilize CINEMA 4D’s multipass rendering to gain the ultimate control over your renders. Easily render color, shadow, reflection and other effects to individual files to tweak in your favorite compositing application. Multiple object-based alpha channels make it easy to layer elements with other 2D and 3D assets. With direct export to Adobe Photoshop, Adobe After Effects, Final Cut Pro and Combustion your multipass layers will be ready to composite in no time.

*** they’ve got direct after effect support
Dunno what that is exactly but it SOUNDS good.

T4D: don’t say Allen and Stuart don’t care, they obviously left because they and NewTek wanted to go in different directions with the software. Looking at the evidence, the Lux guys probably wanted to make LW a real next-gen app but the NewTek management probably figured that would cost too much money and lose too many users, so we ended up with LW6; a major upgrade but stilled plagued by legacy code that continues to hold it back. Neither side will say what the whole issue was, but when you consider the fact that LW8 is more plugins bolted on to the ancient core, and Luxology is making a brand new, modern application, I think it shows that Stuart and Allen care a lot about what they’re doing. They probably couldn’t stand being forced to ignore the major issues with LW and just duct-taping on more plugins.

DaveW i’m sure i remember reading LW 6 being a completely rewritten from the ground up, eg- No legacy code
even remember the LWO format was replaced ( with No edge weighting :sad: ), UV’s was added and a worth host of new stuff was added it was a completely rewritten

but Now your saying the rewrite was pushed by newtek so LW 6 was screwed by Newtek even tho Allen and Stuart were the developers and Newtek was the publisher :rolleyes:
the design work would have been Allen and Stuart and done before anyone saw a Beta

the direction of LW 6 would have been designed by Allen and Stuart not Newtek
I think Allen & Stuart F*#k up the design ( scripting not going to the core ) and having another go at it with Luxology and presonally they jumped ship before they finished the job they started & did not do the right thing by the poeple who have always brought they software. and Newtek was left with the problem and is doing a good job at fixing it,

Again i don’t see Modo as a alterative, no user base ( won’t get work at too many studios ), price is too high Specially with XSI selling at it’s level ( Luxology will be needing $$ soon, hey can only live off the sale of LW to NT for so long, Good programers don’t work for nothing ) and as a freelance what’s the point of a 3D modeler only apps ??

i can see a plus to buying XSI or Maya and adding to my tool kit But no reason to buy Modo.
Lightwave modeler has feed my family for awhile now and XSI modeler is a high level too, Plus you get mental ray and Layout and modeler in the one interface to have as a alterative and you can mix the output of both in DFX or Aftereffects.

What I find interesting about all this is that the current developers are having to basically take Lightwave the state that it was created by and left in the state it was by this same engineering team. Why would Modo be any better just because they dumped and confused old customers and moved down the street?
Their whole schtick about being concerned about the Lightwave community never flew. They had more resources then then Newtek probably has now but failed to produce any tutorials, educational material or content that was promised yet people there seemed to find the time to produce videos for sale on the side…
Taking off with code that should have been part of Lightwave 8 using money supplied by customers just stinks. Its nice to know that they have such a high regard of the customers who put them where they are. I dont care if Modo is the 2nd coming. I wont support people who seem to regard customers in such a cold way and have no qualms about causing the problems theyve caused in the LW community in the past. Theres too many other (reputable) companies that have been around longer with products that have a proven track record and actually care about their customers. My hard earned cash is too important to squander on fly by night operations.

Larry, after bashing them almost non stop for a couple years, I think we all know where you stand on the Luxology front by now :thumbsup:

Well, since hardly any of us know what really happened (and even if we did, we’d probably hear a different story from either side), I guess we’ll just have to wait and see how they both perform.

After all, it is a (…fairly) open market out there, and we make the choices.

Surely avid|softimage know that, so why shouldn’t lux and NT :wink:

Cheers,
Mike

A new object format doesn’t meant they rewrote everything. There are still plenty of issues that go back before LW6; lack of edges in modeler, lack of multiple undos in layout, poor SDK. The LW developers even said 6 was not a total rewrite. They certainly did a lot of work and fixed a lot of issues, but there is still lots of legacy code, hence the kludgy state it is now in.

but Now your saying the rewrite was pushed by newtek so LW 6 was screwed by Newtek even tho Allen and Stuart were the developers and Newtek was the publisher

NewTek was never just the publisher, they wholly own Lightwave and Allen and Stuart were contractors hired to develop it. NewTek has stated this many times.

the direction of LW 6 would have been designed by Allen and Stuart not Newtek
I think Allen & Stuart F*#k up the design ( scripting not going to the core ) and having another go at it with Luxology and presonally they jumped ship before they finished the job they started & did not do the right thing by the poeple who have always brought they software. and Newtek was left with the problem and is doing a good job at fixing it,
How are you so sure it was Allen and Stuart that made bad design decision and not NewTek management? NewTek still hasn’t updated the core, they just keep tacking on new plugins. Luxology is writing a completely new, modern app that is what LW should have been, but it seems NewTek would rather continue bolting on more plugins until LW finally collapses.

Again i don’t see Modo as a alterative, no user base ( won’t get work at too many studios ), price is too high Specially with XSI selling at it’s level ( Luxology will be needing $$ soon, hey can only live off the sale of LW to NT for so long, Good programers don’t work for nothing ) and as a freelance what’s the point of a 3D modeler only apps ??

Modo may not be an alternative right now, but it’s pretty obvious that Modo is not all they’re working on. Making a cutting edge 3d app takes time. Look how long it took XSI to get to a usuable state.

Hey Larry do you have some inside info on what actually happened? I never heard that Lux ran off with code that was supposed to be LW.

The point about training/tutorials is valid, but do you really think the programmers should be worrying about that? I personally think NewTek as a company is to blame for not making training materials, the programmers job is to write code, not tutorials.

good one dave!

wish luxology team all the best ! i hope at the end waiting will be worth… i am sick of asking and beging NT for features… and i think they pretty much loose the track

I read this as if your saying Newtek told Allen and Stuart what to make when it come to Lightwave 6, come on what NT Marketing dude was telling the great Allen and Stu what to do and if there was someone at Newtek wouldn’t it have been the Great Brad Peebler ??? and your saying Allen and Stuart done it because they were on wages !!! i would think even less of them if this was the case

sorry that just sounds like Cr#p the programmers would have ALOT of control of the project more then Newtek, As far i knew Stuart was the head of Modeler and Allen done the render & layout ( it could be the other way around ) but this was the way it was way back to V1 but some how Newtek told them to make Lightwave 6 the way it was and Allen & Stuart left because Newtek done a bad job on LW 6 ??? even tho they were the Programers ???:eek:
that’s just doesn’t make scents in my most drunken dreams

the facts are Allen and Stuart programed LW 6 then were moving out of the building before Lw 7 was released was just the wrong :sad:

hi guys!!!

what i want to say is from the logical thinking of someone left a company to go to another.
if u left a company…in general u left it, having somewhere to go to right?!
allan and stuart left newtek because of luxology, maybe more money(and that’s all), they could put killer stuff in LW, i don’t think that newtek would said NO.

maybe Newtek’s management it’s kinda week i think, but 2 uber programmers and theyr offspring couldn’t have kept not so cool coding for so long (eg. LW Layout)

god luck guys

Yeah, whatever did happen to those tuts they promised to make?

Oh well…

T4D: Yeah, Stu and Allen had a lot of control over the project, but they also had a budget and a timeline they had to follow. If their budet/timeline for LW6 didn’t allow for a total rewrite and all the bells and whistles that everyone wanted, how can you blame anyone but NewTek? Again, there is evidence that this is the problem; NewTek continues to bolt crap on to LW (they said they will not do a total rewrite) while Luxology spends the time and money necessary to create a modern 3d app.

From all appearances, there are still legacy issues we are faced with…if anything, I think modo is a nice varnish but in the end still doesn’t provide a complete solution for the artist looking for a tool to make their life better and making art easier. I’ve spent time with modo. It looks wonderful, but for my 10 questions I had specific to modeling workflow, 7 were answered with a definative “not in this release” statement…and it was simple things like editable splines, history, displacement map support in viewports, patch modeling, and multiple instances of project files opened on the mac…and a few others.

modo isn’t the answer, it’s just another question…but a good question i’ll grant you. in the end, what matters to you as an artist…another single minded solution that may or may not solve your workflow issues, or having access to complete tools which satisfy your needs on a daily basis?

if history is a guidepost for anyone here…think hard about the future of your toolset, because it will be defined by its past.

cheers.

Yeah it sure sucks when someone puts a budget and a deadline on something.
Oh, wait a minute, even Luxology have budgets and deadlines, or do they just say “hey guys, do what ya like ,don’t care how long it takes or what it costs, no pressure”.
Nope, sorry, be it code, an FX shot, or a building, pretty much everything is done that way so you can’t blame Newtek for that.

Luxology may put money and time into the code, but speaking as a coder of some 25+ years experience, I can tell you one thing, I don’t feel happy about the timescales involved here.

Nothing to prove it, but I have some doubts about when some of this code was written and whos pay system folks were on when they did it.
For me, if Brad Peebler, Stuart and Allen had all these ideas that were so ground-breaking and knew how to code them, and obviously could have them implemented in a time frame suitable for a LW8 release, why didn’t they mention it.

I don’t believe for one minute Newtek would look at such features and say…“no …no we don’t want them, we’re just gonna buy a couple of other plugins thanks”.
But then, if all this code is ready at the time of LW8 release, well, I just wonder is all.

We will never know the full story, but quite a few folks I’ve talked to who are into LW and coding pretty much all hold a similar opinion.
I just don’t get why folks think these guys are so wonderful, it just all smacks of very bad timing to me.