Sci-fi: - Matrix Hover Ship -

excellent work, i just check this topic for the 1st time and i really like the way you explain your process, bravo !!

go on wanna see more :slight_smile:

Wow… this is looking really awesome. I’m liking how the tail goes in two.

I have some questions I would like you ask you, so if you could please IM me with AIM, my screen name is CazorFett. Thanks.

uhh very detailed! good job though i think it might be more interesting if you made a own ship-creation. anway, it is a promising model and i´m looking forward to see updates!

Originally posted by sad
uhh very detailed! good job though i think it might be more interesting if you made a own ship-creation.

Hey Sad, actually this is a new type of ship. Though similar to the nebuchanezzar, it has a split tail, will have a refueling dock type device on the rear of the ship for other hover ships to stop by to recharge if need be. The hull of the ship is designed differently, there are also more hover nodes in the middle of the ship, and I believe 1 more gun turret. My goal was to create my own ship, but I wanted to follow the style.

But thanks for your comments. And everyone else, thank you too. I went out and bought the Matrix Reloaded DVD for reference ;), so far the model has cost me time, and about 14.95 :slight_smile:

I’ve found several errors in my design, so I’ve spent most of the day tweaking. I’ll update tonight with some more test renders. Stay tooned. . .

Alrighty everyone. Just as I said, more updates tonight. So, I’m turning in early, 2 am… :slight_smile: I studied “the Matrix Reloaded” docking with zion scene several times and have corrected my modeling accordingly. Rendering is now taking about 3.37 minutes now instead of the easier 1.27 minute rendering just last night. All of the new details and such have put me up to the 430,000 polys. I think I’ve come to grips with the fact that at this rate, this model will be useless for any type of animation… at least on my home PC. But hopefully once I build it with detail to the max, I could always degrade the quality for animation. I’m also considering texturing at the moment, which will be undoubtably the hardest thing I’ve ever done yet unless I figure out some nice proceedural map set up. I believe my next step is going to be to finish the shell of the ship. Which is what I had planned on doing today, but once I saw how incorrect my model was, I wanted to correct it before you guys had a chance to point it out :slight_smile: Well, now that I pretty much have the hover nodes completed, it should be a bit more fun to get to the functions of the ship. Ultimately after I complete that shell, I’d like to go ahead and finish up with all of the hover node things all over the ship and then I can begin to skin up this floating hunk of scrap metal. The turrets and all of that other fun stuff can wait until later. Oh, and landing gear will probably be coming up soon as well. Well, enough talk, here are the updates I’ve been talking about. . .

For detailed comparison, now and then…

Ok, so yes, there are more details :slight_smile: Tomorrow will run alittle slow on the updates. I have a breakfast date in the morning and to follow that up, I’ve got some car test driving to do with my gal. (If you test drive VW this week you get a free dinner for 2 to an pricy italian restraunt) Tack on 2 meetings in the evening, one which could last until 11 pm… So, I may have a few hours tomorrow afternoon. But my car is in need of an oil change so that may take up some of that time as well.

'night, hope you enjoy the updates.

Wow, and people dont like patch modelling… pish…

Looks great. Ok, i take that back, it looks REALLY, REALLY GREAT!

keep it up!

Thats really nice man! Keep us updated.

:slight_smile:

Its looking real good right now! Can’t wait for you to update!

Well, it’s that time again. 4 AM?! No, well yes, but it’s time for another update. Thanks again for all of your comments. Like I mentioned last night, I probably wouldn’t have much time to work on this today, and that was the case. Even so, I did start working on the shape of the ship… but to my greatest irritation, MAX began to screw up, repeatedly. I kept receiving an error that said I had a problem with ‘bitarray.cpp’ ‘line: 151’ everytime I would get a little further on the actual ship shell. And it gave me the option to retry which could corrupt your file or quit without saving. Luckily I’ve had this problem before and save as often as possible. Anyway, to make my time more productive until I can figure out what the deal is, I started working on the upper hover node frame. My style is different than that on the nebuchanezzer, which the frame extends more off the front towards the back. Mine extends from the center of the ship and sweeps foward, it has to, it has an extra node in the middle and offset nature of the nodes on the sides makes it more difficult to run any kind of setup from the sides like on the Neb. The front of this frame needs to have some more details added to it, but I can feel the sleep coming. I’ll probably continue with all of the frames for the nodes then the actual body will be assembled. The shape of the body mesh towards the front of the ship is not what the ship will look like, so please disregard that mesh at the moment.

Rendering with all of the geometry present in the scene takes about 7 minutes now. Which is becoming more of a burden when rendering test renders. Also, the viewports are beginning to show signs of struggles. I’m doing well hiding and unhiding things now :slight_smile: Current stats for rendering are 4308 objects and 757900 faces. Anyway, I hope you enjoy the new updates, and like I said, this frame isn’t finished, but I think I’m going to bed. More updates to come tomorrow.

'night.

PS, there are some modeling mistakes in the left hover node frame… so, yes, I know about it :wink:

Dude I take my hat off to you. This model is awesome. It’s gobsmackingly good.

Very cool! Keep on going.

BgDM

Yeah, thats rock :wink:

very cool, will be keeping track :stuck_out_tongue:

hey Digital_Crystal,

i have a few questions for you or anybody else who cares to answer. ok i’m pretty new at this so bare with me.
i’ve always wondered how people get all the detail in their mechanics. for instance on your “hover nodes” is that all seperate
objects grouped together to form one piece or is that all modeled out on one object?

and if their all seperate objects how do connect them together is it just grouped?
and how do you go about aligning everthing to where you want it to fit?

thanks!

Thanks everyone for your encouraging words. I should have an update for you again by later this evening. The compliments really are inspiring. :thumbsup:

Originally posted by MRAY
[B]hey Digital_Crystal,

i have a few questions for you or anybody else who cares to answer. ok i’m pretty new at this so bare with me.
i’ve always wondered how people get all the detail in their mechanics. for instance on your “hover nodes” is that all seperate
objects grouped together to form one piece or is that all modeled out on one object?

and if their all seperate objects how do connect them together is it just grouped?
and how do you go about aligning everthing to where you want it to fit?

thanks! [/B]

Well, I could tell you… but you’ve already guessed how to do it. It is a number of separated pieces attached together. As a matter of fact, at this moment, they aren’t even attached together yet incase I feel the need to change it, I don’t want to have to change the mesh… eww, what a nightmare. Now, in MAX, I use ‘dummies’, which if you will notice in the wireframe renderings, you’ll see these dark red cubes around the nodes. That’s the controller for all of the rotation, scale, and movement of the nodes. If you will then notice that if you look down at where the hydraulic arms attach to the back of the node, that there are 2 more dummies to control the rotation of that arm with respect to the first dummy. Lastly, there are 2 more dummies back where the hinge for the hydraulic arm to connect to the ship, this also allows for me to change the rotation of those objects. Ok, so you’re wondering, how does it work. Well, you select all of the objects you want to be controlled by the dummy. OK, so only the disk shape of the node is linked to the large dummy, the whole hydraulic arm is linked to one of the dummy on it’s side, an lastly the little frame like hinges that connect the arm to the ship are linked to their own dummy respectively. The next catch here is that you can link the dummies to each other too. Ok, so I’ve linked the last 2 dummies, to the next 2, and then those middle two to the big one Hint, this isn’t the best way to do this, every time you want to rotate the node, you rotate the arm as well, you need to do it the opposite way. So that as you rotate the node, the rest of the geometry stays the same. So, back to your original statements about the arm. (another thought here is that you really don’t need to have a dummy per half an arm, I just did that when mirroring the other arm, in truth you only would need 3 dummies per node, one at each pivit point) I always try to leave the arm straight when creating, that way you know all of your proportions are correct around that center point/line. If you look back at my earlier test renders you’ll see an example of the geometry in a straight line.

Hope all of this helps and isn’t too confusing.

You could also do alot of this with bones as well, but I will not go there this time, IK is just… :slight_smile:

More updates tonight.

thanks for the info!

But how do you build the detail on your base objects i know
they are all seprate pieces so how do you align them to the base object?

i took one of you pics to further illustrate my question:)

thanks dude for taking the time to explain!

ooops forgot the pic :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by MRAY
[B]thanks for the info!

But how do you build the detail on your base objects i know
they are all seprate pieces so how do you align them to the base object?

i took one of you pics to further illustrate my question:)

thanks dude for taking the time to explain! [/B]

No problem, I’ve sent a PM, hope that helps.

Can you send us the pm too, just post it here.

:slight_smile:

Thanks

"Hey,

Hope this gives you a clearer picture…

After you link -only- the geometry you want to move, you can manipulate that dummy and the rest of the geometry will follow the lead of the dummy. The dummy has it’s own pivot point (which can be adjusted) and if you rotate the dummy, everything linked to that dummy will rotate about that pivot point, the dummy’s.

Let me know if I can help further or clearify a bit more."

Haha, I notice that even I messed up, if you will notice, I didn’t select every object… those small round red cylinders that extend off the sides are not selected… but I think you get the picture. Hope this helps.