Scanning laser - How to?

What’s the best way to create a scanning laser (like that at the beginning of Aliens or like a barcode reader). So the laser would be a spread out plane (not a beam) that would highlight a line on the surface it hits. Possibly also be able to render volumetric scattering.

TIA

I know you ca ngive a rectangle (even a thin one) shape to spot light (check the about spotlight). Give more intensity. The good rig would be made of several lights. I would use four. The spotlight I describe first. To littler spots with circle shapes at each border of the scanning light with a more intensity. And the last one is duplicated from the first (an thin rectanlge) with volume effect and really less intensity. You could even create a plane with animated alpha noise to simulate volume light.

• Nico

You got it ?

Sorry, not had time yet, will give it a try on Sunday most likely!

Thanks for the reply. Will let you know how it works out…

Thanks!

Hey, I just tried it out. Did you mean the barn doors on the spotlight? It works ok and seems to do what I want.
I assume if I want to add the volumelight plane, it would have to track the light plane in an animation?

I tired to use parti_volume (mental ray) but the mental ray lights don’t support barn doors, do they?

Anyhows… thanks again…

I assume if I want to add the volumelight plane, it would have to track the light plane in an animation?[QUOTE]
Yeah, create a little paretning rig to animate your lazer.

[QUOTE] I tired to use parti_volume (mental ray) but the mental ray lights don’t support barn doors, do they?

Can’t help you about Mental Ray features.

I don’t know waht barn doors are? Is that the doors of a farm building ?

In the spot light attributes, there’s a feature called “barn doors” (which are doors for a farm building) which allow you to make the spotlight beam narrow vertically and/or horizontally.

I assume that’s the feature you were talking about?

No, I was not talking about darn doors features (I think it comes from MR). My method does not required any special renderer stuffs.

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.