samples problem ?

hi, i´ve been getting this strange artifacts and i don´t know how to correct them:

rendering with MentalRay a simple scene with only 2 shaders: 1 basic lambert (with dirtmap on the diffuse) and 1 basic blinn ( i also tried phong).

maya render (production quality)

MentalRay (samples: 1-3 Box 1.0 1.0)

MetalRay (samples: 1-3 Lanczos 4.0 4.0)

If it ever hapened to you or if you know what it is… please help me :).

thanks.

it´s realy stupid, i just found out why this was hapening. i was using maya area lights inside the garage… don´t know why but they just don´t work right with mentalRay…

thanks anyway.

So when you got rid of the area light…that fixed the problem??

I have had a similar problem as you with getting those nasty black spots on my mental ray renders. (See this link http://www.mattwadeart.com/mrartifact.jpg) Everyone tells me its because of corrupted lights, but rebuilding my light set does not make them go away. I do have an area light in my scene…so I might try deleting it like you did and see if that makes any difference. I sure hope so. This bug in Maya 6 make MR virtually unusable for me.

yes, the Maya area lights where definetly the problem, deleting the Maya area lights fixed the problem, i´ve managed to achive the same efect of he Maya area lights without the artfacts by using a simple point light and in the metalRay option converted it to an MR arealight.

hi Romeu,

Thank god you had this pob sonner than I!! I´m getting the same errors and I wouldn´t figure it out, cos, you could use Maya Area Lights with MR in May 5.0.1 without any problem…
It seams like a Maya 6 issue…
If you remember i use it a lot in “Metro do Porto”,and it rendered perfectly. It´s a pitty, as the mr area light are quite better, but take much more time to render.
Well, at least now i know why the black dots…
THANKS

Abraço!

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.