rendering paintfx with mentalray

'lo folks,

Playing around with Paint Effects now, but I can’t get it rendered with Mental Ray. The strokes are just left out. Maya’s software renderer goes fine. I guess I missed some little switch somewhere in the settings, but I can’t find it. :blush:

any advice?

Mental Ray can’t render paintFX, until you convert it to polygon…
I don’t know how to convert it to polygon, but I read it in one of these threads…

hmm, well, I guess I can stop searching now :smiley: thanks, I saw something in the manual about converting to polygons, think I’m gonna try that.

Mental ray for Maya does not support the following Maya rendering features:

· All postprocessing effects: Paint Effects, shader/light glow, optical effects, 2d motion blur, and fur rendering.
· All particle effects: particle instancing and software rendering of particle systems
· Volumetric effects: light fog, environment fog, volume fog
· Direct rendering of Maya subdivision surfaces
· Render Layers, Render Passes
· Maya’s noise/volumeNoise shaders (added in Maya 4.0)
· Image Planes
· Interactive Photorealistic Rendering (IPR)
· Output to the Maya IFF image file format
· Field Rendering
· Pre/Post Render MEL scripts

This from Mental Ray 3 UserGuide

:surprised that’s quite a bit :surprised Then what use is mental ray to us?

Visit www.mentalimages.com to know what MR give us :wink:

Originally posted by eYadNesS
[B]Mental ray for Maya does not support the following Maya rendering features:

· All postprocessing effects: Paint Effects, shader/light glow, optical effects, 2d motion blur, and fur rendering.
· All particle effects: particle instancing and software rendering of particle systems
· Volumetric effects: light fog, environment fog, volume fog
· Direct rendering of Maya subdivision surfaces
· Render Layers, Render Passes
· Maya’s noise/volumeNoise shaders (added in Maya 4.0)
· Image Planes
· Interactive Photorealistic Rendering (IPR)
· Output to the Maya IFF image file format
· Field Rendering
· Pre/Post Render MEL scripts

This from Mental Ray 3 UserGuide [/B]

In the latest version of Maya alot of those things are now supported.

Converting paint effects to polygons enable rendering in MR is okay, but in practice, I find it’s extremely slow - almost unusable in a relatively complex flower/tree scenes. I hope that in Maya 6, we don’t have to even use the default renderer in all tasks.

i do one object at a time but the probs i have is with the alphas from the leaves and stuff…
M-ray gets kinda slow but still compared to modeling and textureing trees and plants the speed is about 100000000X faster…
but i hear what ur sayin rock

I also experienced that converting to polygons takes alo of time to render

But you can convert PE to Polygons in: Modify -->Convert–> PE to Polygons

Aydin

I don’t used to covert paintFX to polygon, but I will try it, I think it will help me very much in paintFX hair :hmm:

you’re best guess is to make separate passes and composit the all thing…maybe it won’t be as good as mental ray, mostly if you use global or final gathering, but I’ve myself use paint effect quite a lot…and it give very good result for the small amount of time you spend doing it.

cheers

hi!
i want only to say that u can still use compositing to connect FG/GI M-ray rendered image with the PFX u desires. In some cases it can be even not noticeable. U can add some reflections with the rendered image using some use bacground materials.

that’s all from me! bye and good luck

Lewandowski Wojciech
POLAND

WOOPS! sorry I didn’t saw thematt post. :slight_smile:

I also recommend to compose, when you do hair. PFX is imho somehow a renderer of its own, so one wouldnt expect any improvements with MR at all. But its true, it should be renderable with MR in one pass, the same with other posteffects, like glow.

Originally posted by aydinu
But you can convert PE to Polygons in: Modify -->Convert–> PE to Polygons

Hi all,
I don’t have a shortcut in my Maya menu like this above!

Is that just for a higher version from Maya 4.0 (because I’m using it)…

Thanks very much

eYadNesS,

That convert PFX to polygons option exists only for Maya 5 or higher.

aha, thanks :smiley:

antweiler you used imho word. Could you explain this one to me? Many people use it but this one I don’t understand. That’s maybe because english isn’t my native language.

Thanks!
Bye
Lewandowski Wojciech
POLAND:beer:

Originally posted by lemoor
antweiler you used imho word. Could you explain this one to me? Many people use it but this one I don’t understand. That’s maybe because english isn’t my native language.

imho = in my humble opinion :wink:

i had the same prob like you some months ago, Wojciech.
lol !!