Redshift Gotchas (new user here)

Hi all!

I finally broke down and purchased Redshift recently. Absolutely a game changer on so many levels, though I’ve come across a handful of mildly to very irksome gotchas. Hopefully I’m not offending forum protocol by including them all in one thread, but here they are. Any insights or tips are hugely appreciated:

Material Sample Updates - What’s up with material samples not updating in Nodes panel and Material Manager? I understand that Redshift has to work behind the scenes to render the material samples, but is there any workaround outside of adjusting a setting in Material Editor just to see the damn sample? Also, are there any known things that trigger the RS Node material samples to go ‘black’? Perhaps there’s something I can adjust in Preferences that allocates more resource to this?

Is RS Node Material necessary? - On that topic, Is there any actual advantage to converting RS materials to Nodes materials? It seems like regular RS materials (which use the Shader Graph) have more node options available? Ryan McCauley’s tutorial series on Lynda.com implies that eventually the Material Node interface will totally supplant the regular node graph, but does it still make sense to keep my materials as Node Materials if I know Redshift will be my primary render engine?

‘Ramp’ will not tile: What’s up with not being able to tile RS Ramp maps? It seems I can scale and offset UV coordinates via the Material Tag, but I can’t seem to get the image to repeat / tile. Is there an intermediary node I need to add? My workaround will be to use a Texture node with a hand-made bitmap that approximates the procedural ramp gradient, but it seems crazy to me that I would have to do this. Attaching a file that shows what I’m trying to do, which is mapping a gradient to repeat along a Sweep, like the pattern on a snake.

RS Material Nodes and Linear Workflow - Finally, following Ryan McCauley’s tutorial again, I’m trying to parse the truth about setting up materials properly for material workflow. He implies that a Color Correction node with Gamma set to 2.2 should be attached after any Texture nodes using bitmaps. Would this apply to bitmap textures being ported into ANY material channel, or just those that are NOT the Diffuse Color channel (Reflection Roughness, for example)?
Also, would I want to apply the same 2.2 gamma to non-bitmap textures (Ramp, or a straight Color node) ?

Adjusting HDRIs - When using an HDR (.hdr) image in a Dome Light, it seems like there ought to be some way to adjust the exposure on the image itself with C4D but I’m not seeing any such option anywhere. My work around has been to adjust image in Photoshop and reload, but is there a way to accomplish this in program with either a Redshift tool or a native C4D tool?

Many thanks!!!
NpF

redshiftgotchas.zip (121.5 KB)

I would have to add global volume for volumetric lighting to this list. To make volumetric lighting in Redshift, all lights have to work with a single global environment volume, so no tweaking of individual volumetric lighting. Very frustrating after being spoiled by cinema’s volumetric lights.

Ramp tiling:
C4d shader with gradient > texture node > material. Only in shader graph, not nodes window, as the latter doesn’t support c4d shaders.

Linear workflow:
What settings do you have in your c4d project for input colour profile? SRGB or linear?

Dome light:
There is an exposure slider for the domelight in the attribute manager.

You do have the volume contribution parameter for each light.

Yes, but that still gives very limited controls.

https://vimeo.com/459393266

In that shot we’re developing, there are 3 spots with light glows. We’d like the glow on all 3 spots to be just as intense, but the hoses and the satellite need to be choked back a lot more than the front logo or else the glows would flood the scene and there is no way to do that individually. If we could do that individually, we wouldn’t have to manage a bunch of extra files and do it in post.