Rebuilding Textures.com Textures in Vray for 3ds?

I’m attempting to recreate this texture (https://www.textures.com/download/3dscans0045/127218) in my model.

I’m using VRay, and I’m struggling to figure out where to put the different maps to recreate the texture. The maps that it comes with are:

• Albedo
  • Roughness
  • Height
  • Normal
  • AO

So I’m putting the Albedo in the diffuse slot as a bitmap, creating a VRayNormals in the Bump slot so that I can load both the Normals map and the Height Map in there. Then I’m putting Roughness in the Roughness channel and then I have no idea what to do with the AO map.

So far, this texture looks nothing like the photos on the site. I know I’ll need to tweak things to fit my model in the end, but I’m trying to clone the texture on the shader ball so I can tweak from there, rather than my current issue of trying to create a serviceable texture in the first place.

So, where do I need to put an AO map (I’ve googled it and I come up with a bunch of stuff about VRay dirt and occlusion maps from a procedural standpoint, but not much about where to put an already generated AO map)? Am I putting everything else in the right slots?

I need to get a better grasp of when to nest multiple maps in a single slot (like when to use a VRay Blend instead of just throwing in a single downloaded map), but I’m still struggling to understand how the shaders work so it’s hard to intuitively know when to dig deeper and build up from there.

Thanks!

EDIT: Attempted to add the material to a library. Download here: (https://we.tl/HBb5dkWjCf) It’s a multi-sub that I generated in Sketchup to define my different materials, so I’m only focused on editing the “Antique Brick” texture for now.

Can’t say without seeing your result, but you’ll need to use displacement to get convincing depth.

Right. I tried to upload the material to my original post. Not sure if it worked. I take it you normally put a normal map in the bump and a bump/height/displacement map in the displace?

I’ve been putting a VRayNormal in the Bump slot, which then has a place for both a bump map and a normal map. Then I’ve been leaving the Displace slot empty.

Displacement in the most important part when it comes to shape, don’t leave it empty, bump and normal are secondary details. You can ignore AO, it’s mostly for video games these days, raytracers like vray calculate accurate GI.

Take a look at the vray docs if you wanted specifics:
https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VRAY4MAX

Keep in mind there isn’t a 1:1 way to do this. I’m going to assume the textures.com textures are for a videogame metal/rough PBR workflow, and with these maps there isn’t a perfect way to plug them into V-Ray. Generally though, albedo can be diffuse, AO isn’t needed or you can multiply it with the diffuse, normal is normal, height can be displacement or bump depending on how much depth you need.

Roughness is slightly trickier but basically you can use this in Reflection Gloss but it might need to be tweaked or inverted. This is where it’s tricky.

Now if you can get the Substance files these textures were made in, you can either plug them directly into V-Ray in Max, or output bitmaps using a V-ray preset that will give you an exact replica of the material you’re after.