Rebecca Kimmel's Anatomy Review 001: GESTURE

FireMoon,

This is a beautiful drawing ~ please post it on the CURRENT THREAD, Anatomy Lesson 002: OPPOSING CURVES!

Thank you for posting this!

~Rebeccak

Hi Rebecca,

I missed the beginning of your lessons and will post my gesture experiment results here to let them be reviewed as I had askd earlier. Thank you for having a look!

exi80,

Thank you for posting these!

When the new sub-forum, “Artistic Anatomy and Figurative Art” gets underway, I am hoping to have a more or less permanent “GESTURE DRAWINGS” thread, as I think Gesture Drawings have universal and timeless importance. Maybe I can review these then. :slight_smile:

~Rebeccak

RK - I would love to see your threads continue and not just die out as you move to the next lesson. I know that is asking for a LOT, but what about we peeps who are a month or two behind … or the future members who really need this, but don’t see it until October?

Just some food for thought … not trying to harass you … much.

well, I’m off to eUUUUUUUUUUUUrope … :wink:
see you!
(: AA

mystikalyx!!!

Wow, a post from eUUUUUUUUUUUUrope! How is the Weaaaaaaaathhhher? :wink:

Hey, CLEARLY you have not been paying attention :wise: because when the new sub-forum,
Artistic Anatomy and Figurative Artgets going sometime next week, these first two Lesson threads will be moved there, along with some other great threads:

BEGINNING GESTURES
INTERMEDIATE GESTURES
ADVANCED GESTURES

OPPOSING CURVES

(MORE LESSON TOPICS RELATED TO DRAWING WHICH ARE PREPARED BUT NOT YET ANNOUNCED)

ANATOMY STUDIES

FIGURATIVE PAINTING (Woo!)

ANIMAL DRAWING

COMPOSITION

COLOR THEORY

TECHNICAL ISSUES (maybe)

RESOURCES / LINKS

CHALLENGES

etc!

So stop on by, and bring the 'muff!

Oh and thanks for all your help Web Guru!!! :applause:

~Rebeccak :slight_smile:

whoa those will make good book titles in the Rebecca Kimmel drawing course books,how much u gunna sell em for becks? :smiley: i’d buy the whole set.

NOOB, NOOB, NOOB,

You are a funny guy :slight_smile: ~Hey! What happened to your Avatar? I just noticed that it changed! :slight_smile:

Heh, we’ll see…I would love to put together an anatomy / figurative drawing book…it would be fun. Ah! Now to find a publisher! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the support NOOB ~ I expect to see you reporting bright and early when the sub-forum opens its doors! :slight_smile:

EDIT: Woo! And thanks for recruiting for the new lesson! The more, the merrier!

~Rebeccak

Addendum ~

IF I can dredge up my old notes, perhaps we can have a thread on PERSPECTIVE as well…I am super rusty, but willing to share what I know…

Vanishing points…I remember that there are Vanishing points…

Ah! My old notes and assignments!

~Rebeccak

Me? Pay attention?? Come on! You’ve seen me in class :slight_smile:

Seriously, I’ve been skimming since it would take hours to review EVERY post. You’re just waaaaaay too popular for me! I showed the Muff and bookmarked you on his browser so I’m sure he’ll start paying attention eventually. See if you can do some figues that involve cricket and I’m SURE he’ll check back every few hours. Would it be totally wrong for me to post his stuff instead of mine :wink:

And if you’re thinking about giving me a hard time about skimming - then I’m going to pre-defend with … I’m working on the site!!! :slight_smile:

(: AA

no prob.

and go get ballistic to publish ur book series like i told ya b4…or i’ll keep buggin u.!!heheh

ballisticpublishing

Hello everyone :slight_smile:

I’d like to take this opportunity to thank CGTalk for making this sub-forum a reality ~ specifically I would like to thank Mark Snoswell, Andrew Plumer, Leigh A. van der Byl, and Roberto Ortiz for supporting me in this effort and for handing me this amazing opportunity and responsibility. I am thrilled to have been entrusted with the privilege of moderating this sub-forum along with my friend Roberto Ortiz, who has given me great support and encouragement in my artistic endeavors ~ to him I owe much of the credit for making first the Anatomy Review threads and now the Artistic Anatomy and Figurative Art sub-forum a reality.

Additionally, I would like to personally thank everyone who has visited and contributed to the first two Artistic Anatomy Review threads for making these threads an amazing success ~ I have thoroughly enjoyed reading and viewing everyones’ posts, and it has been a great pleasure to interact with this growing community of both new and experienced artists alike ~ thank you for all of your wonderful posts! :slight_smile:

My vision for the Artistic Anatomy and Figurative Art sub-forum is the following:

1. I want both new / beginning artists and experienced / professional artists alike to feel welcome and comfortable posting their comments and work on any of the threads which are offered in this sub-forum.

2. I want all kinds of artists in ANY MEDIUM in 2D / 3D ~ be they concept artists, creature designers, storyboard artists, or fine artists ~ to feel welcome and comfortable participating in any of the threads which are offered in this sub-forum.

3. I want people to treat others with RESPECT, and offer critique which is CONSTRUCTIVE and POSITIVELY SUPPORTIVE.

4. I want people to post their BEST WORK, and to continue to post their work as they IMPROVE.

5. I want people to use this sub-forum as a RESOURCE to which they both contribute ~ by posting their work, tutorials, links, etc.) ~ and use constructively to improve their own work.

6. I want people in this sub-forum to consider themselves an ARTISTIC COMMUNITY, from which they get out as much as they put in. INDIVIDUALS’ CONTRIBUTIONS are ESSENTIAL and VITAL to this sub-forum.

THANKS TO EVERYONE for stopping by and posting, and I look forward to participating in this wonderful online artistic community! :slight_smile:

~Rebeccak

So…after doing the sketch for lesson three (on shading…which I really must dig on paper…)
I’m coming back to the basics.

I’m focusing on the gesture, so these are not rendered/precise.
These two are my attempts at focusing on Vilppu’s teachings.
(trying to capture the flow and going around the forms)

The first one is taken from a statue of “Neptune” by Adam Lambert.

The second one is Detail from “Baptism” by Andrea del Sarto

Xillion,

I think it’s awesome that you’re doing this! Would you mind posting these instead in the
Gesture Drawings - Post Your Best Gesture Drawings Here! - 2D TRADITIONAL / DIGITAL
thread?

I would like to kind of continue the dialog of Gesture Drawings there, and I have kicked around ideas for revisiting “old” Lessons, which, as you have rightly indicated by your post, should never really go away ~ but I would love for you to post your work in the thread mentioned above so that I can keep things streamlined a bit.

Let me know if you have any suggestions for revisiting “old” Lesson topics ~ a friend of mine had suggested revisiting Lesson topics on a rotating basis ~ tell me what you think.

In the meantime, just post your work in the Gesture thread, as more people will be likely to see your great work!

~Rebeccak

rebeccak: I hope this does not sound harsh but I’m a bit confused by all these threads. I felt more comfortable with a few precise lessons. That helped me to stay focused on a single problem. Anyway I agree on keeping things streamlined and I copied the post on the other thread with an update.

As for my opinion: I agree on reviewing the topics on a regular basis. Maybe it’s worth launching ‘incremental review’ topics once a week.For example One where you have to do a gesture, build on opposing curves and shade (It can be helpful if the reference or the subject was given).

Thanks for your time.
Regards,
Enrico

It is indeed food for thought…perhaps I went a little wacko creating all of these threads…though it has certainly been cool to see the work popping up on them.

Let me think about it and talk with Roberto, and see what we can do.

Thanks for the input! :slight_smile:

~Rebeccak

Hi Rebecca. I want to thank you for making this tutorial about gesture sketching. It was because of your tutorial that I now feel that I can draw the human body in any position. My body language is more expressive, and it’s just so much easier all-round to draw a character. Thanks. :slight_smile:

snowkiwi,

Thank you for this! :slight_smile: It’s very nice of you to leave a kind comment like this. Hope to see you posting work around the forum. :slight_smile:

~Rebeccak

i just saw this forum yesterday! this is amazing! i’m going to start drawing tomorrow…it’s a little late here…
so, you really had classes with hogarth burne?? that’s amazing! i have his books…he’s the best…i love his books.
i don’t speak much english…so sorry…:smiley:

here are some sketches that i like very much…it’s in japanesse so look for them http://www.backfire.biz/