Radiosity Tab version 8

Just a quick (possibly stupid) question:

Is the radiosity tab still in EIAS version 8? I’ve looked all over for it and can’t find it. Was it replaced by the photons?

Situation:
I have an axe. The edge of it glows. I want the glowing edge of the axe to illuminate a portion of the scene. Is that something simple or do you have to go through hoops to do it? It feels like it should be a one or two check box procedure with perhaps a slider. If I have to load in maps, create radiosity solutions, and do all manner of other contortions to get this simple behavior…
(I guess I could cheat and place a light right there, but why wouldn’t I be able to just click a box in that case?)

And to get the glow to actually…, well, glow was so non-intuitive it pained me to have to go through it. Sorry, but the frustration just jumped in.

Here’s an example below

Here’s a faked glow using a light. As you can see it looks pretty nice, but is this the solution?

Hey,

Looks pretty good to me.

-Craig

Thank you. I think the problem is that the round orb of light shows in the reflection. I wonder if there’s a way to stop that?

Maybe you´ll find some answers in the Area Lights and Light Objects video found here?
http://www.eitechnologygroup.com/products/eias_8_video_tutorials

Thanks! I didn’t think to look there. I love this program, but sometimes I wish it were more intuitive. This shouldn’t be THAT hard.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Ian’s brilliant video tutorial did the trick! My mistake was trying to follow the obtuse ramblings of the puzzle-like EIAS manual. This was exactly what I needed. Thank you again. I’ll upload the final product when I’m finished.

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.