Radiosity settings

Hi all,

test with AMD 2400+

Time 4 min 15 sec

After almost an entire afternoon of further experimenting with radiosity settings I haven’t really made improvements so I’ll leave it with this :slight_smile: (image from my previous post). The rendertime is pretty much equal to the vray render on my rig which also is pretty much equal to the vray-rig (P4 2.66 and XP2800+ respectively).

Originally posted by Peoples
Looking fantastic handige_harrie! What’s your secret recipe - settings?

I’ll figure out which file (I saved a lot of different settings)corresponds to the posted image and post my settings here :).

This is fun… :smiley:

34 minutes at a Duron 1ghz, and I still have trouble to get rid of the artifacts in the edges&corners of the room (And diffuse reflexion takes ages).

Ok found it, screened PS-curves, zipped it and upped it.

the file (R8.1)(.zip)

Originally posted by An Erased One
[B]This is fun… :smiley:

34 minutes at a Duron 1ghz, and I still have trouble to get rid of the artifacts in the edges&corners of the room (And diffuse reflexion takes ages).[/B]

Yikes! Diffuse reflection is so easily accomplished in post, there’s usually never a reason to sit around for the all night renders.

Hint: get the reflection falloff plugin, and put a pure white (luminance) shader on everything in your scene except the floor, and put a 100% reflective surface on the floor, with the distance falloff plugin. This will give you a reflection z-depth, so to speak, which you can compound blur in Aftereffects, or Defocus in Shake. Fast, cheap, and high quality diffuse reflections!

Brent

Originally posted by Brent Turbo
Yikes! Diffuse reflection is so easily accomplished in post, there’s usually never a reason to sit around for the all night renders…

I know, but it’s so much easier just to put a diffuse reflection texture on something, and wait a little longer - only 10-15 minutes here. I never used any post-processing, so it was faster to let cinema to the work.
I’ll have a look at this “mini-tut.” though, sounds interesting… thanks! :thumbsup:

Originally posted by Brent Turbo
[B]Yikes! Diffuse reflection is so easily accomplished in post, there’s usually never a reason to sit around for the all night renders.

Hint: get the reflection falloff plugin, and put a pure white (luminance) shader on everything in your scene except the floor, and put a 100% reflective surface on the floor, with the distance falloff plugin. This will give you a reflection z-depth, so to speak, which you can compound blur in Aftereffects, or Defocus in Shake. Fast, cheap, and high quality diffuse reflections!

Brent [/B]

Thanks for the tip Brent. I’ve been trying to figure out how to do this with Cinema’s multipass channels and coming up empty. I’ll try your suggestion.

Is there any chance that there is a real step by step tut for doing an “in post” reflection blur render or where in the manual I can find this workflow. What can be easy for you can be hard for someone as dense (slow, old, and stupid) as myself? :wink: http://www.cgtalk.com/newreply.php?s=&action=newreply&threadid=107422#

I just don’t have the knowlege to follow the short tip.

Are you talking about the Light Shader or Ambiant Occlusion? shaders. I have these but can’t get them to work in actual practice.

Thanks if you can point me a useful dirrection, /ron

There’s a plugin channel shader called “distance falloff” that you can download from Plugin Cafe. I think that’s what you’re missing.

WOW!

Thanks for all the input folks!

I was sure there was some plugin or trick i was missing…
I’ve tried the Distance Falloff plugin but i got no decent results. Actually, i got no results at all! :slight_smile:
I must be doing something wrong.

Anyway, post processing is not always an option. I’d rather get this effect straight out of C4D, and i think it’s possible to achieve it.

I’m getting closer to the result i want and i will post some pics soon.

Thank you all for the great help!

In my last render I didn’t use a separate reflection pass, the reflection you see comes straight out of C4D. Except for the curves adjustment ofcourse.

Originally posted by ronhondo
[B]Is there any chance that there is a real step by step tut for doing an “in post” reflection blur render or where in the manual I can find this workflow. What can be easy for you can be hard for someone as dense (slow, old, and stupid) as myself? :wink: http://www.cgtalk.com/newreply.php?s=&action=newreply&threadid=107422#

I just don’t have the knowlege to follow the short tip.

Are you talking about the Light Shader or Ambiant Occlusion? shaders. I have these but can’t get them to work in actual practice.

Thanks if you can point me a useful dirrection, /ron [/B]

Hey man,

I’d be glad to put up a little tutorial on the subject, but since I’m in the middle of finals until Thursday, you might have to wait a little bit… But yeah, it’s a good technique, and fortunately it’s about 100 times easier in Cinema than it is in Maya, so it will only be like 10 steps. If you don’t hear form me in a few days, PM me to get me on the ball!

Later!
Brent

Hi,

It was very easy just reading the thread…:blush:
I am very glad to join the forum.

Here is my input:

Render 7.05 min, dual Xeon 1,8, C4D 8.2, W2K

I hope you know this was done with finalRender stage-0 which shares the same GI code with C4D :smiley:

I found this thread and tried it also. The file is not there anymore (got another room with furniture inside) so I remodelled it otu of a cube. This pic took 2.51 to render on a 3GHZ Pentium with HThreading and Cinema 8.5
Settings
str:100%
acc:70%
size:1/2
depth:5
rays:400
min:20
max:400

no checkboxes selected recalc set to always.

Below is the result, pretty close, but with an artefact at the ceiling. I don´t get this when I set depth only to four.
After that I asked mayself if it wouldn´t be better to bevel the edges where for example floor and walls meet and so I did this. Now I ask myself, why does that b**ch (sorry :wink: ) render for 20minutes now and still everything black? not one line from the prepass to see.
So all in all it will take ages. I´ll throw that into trash and take my old scene now for testing the parquet.

OK, I think I can live with this.
I took a photo of the floor in our company, tiled and colorcorrected it in PS (badly) and threw it on my floor via Polyselection.
In the materialchannels, the following happens:
Colour: filter with photo a bit desaturated 8copy this)
!reflection: Layershader->our filter/photo (copied before) and on top of it the fresnel (leave as is, transfermode multiply)

Streuung: 45% (this is the blurthing I dunno the parameter in english, it is the one with preset 0% and when you increase the value, the other three greyed out fields become editable)

minSamples: 6
maxSamples: 32
Accuracy: 80% (could be lower I think)

in the Relief-channel I copied the filter/photo again, there completely desaturated and increased contrast. the reliefstrength is 26%.

OK, specular has colour, not plastic, width:94% height:100% Fallof:7% innerWidth:0%
In the specularcolorchannel put the copied filter/photo
On the illuminationpage set the illuminationmodell to Oren-Nayar.
That´s it? No, not really. The most necessary thing is to set the mip-strength on the AA-Page in the Rendersettings to 0%! Only then the reflection has a really cool blureffect. Otherwise the blurryness would get softened which doesn´t look good.
Another small advise: Turn off the bluriness effect in the rendersettings, turn on “save solution” and switch “calculate” to “one time” instead of “always” on the Radiosity-page and render the pic. Then switch on the blurryness effect again and render again. Adjustments on the blurriness cost you not so much time anymore then (my prepass renders in about three minutes, the real pic only 1minute, so it is four times faster after it is calculated and saved:-) )
My Picture below is directly out of cinema, no post except scaling down and save as jpg.
The original render took me 4min46sec with the blur already on and 4 bounces radiosity 8to get rid of the artefact I mentioned above). 800x600 px big, not as small as here. I think, this can compare to Vueray.
But as you can see Vueray is different, it has much darker corners which has a positive effect on the floor-reflection. Perhaps this is due to the light setup. I only have my sky with a light blue colored material, and a light (56%brightness on general-page)with hard shadows (r18 g19 b22 density 60%). My walls have a material which is 100% white, OrenNayar and specular is plastic width 94%, height 20% and fallof 4%.
I hope somebody is still interested in this and can answer my question from the reply above this one.
Anyway, here the picture

Just goofing around… first image w/ C4D. First 3d thing I’ve done since ~ July of 2000 so I’m pleased :wink:

roughly 4min 30sec on dual G5

Rendered the above scene on my Powerbook 17 (1.33, 1GB): 16min 49sec. :thumbsup:

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.