R8 :: HOWTO :: HyperNURBS Weighting

To interactively weight HyperNURBS, select the points, polygons or edges you wish to weight and hold down the “.” key while dragging.

You can set a minimum and maximum weight in the Active Tool settings, so that your interactive weighting is limited to less than 50% or greater than 10% for instance.

Also in the active tool, you can use the drop-down and slider to set and absolute weighting value, or add or subtract an absolute percentage from the current weighting value.

BTW - You can set negative weighting too - just use the slider or change your interactive min to a negative number.

• Rick -

Hi,
Thanks for the HOWTOs guys, they’re really useful.

For HyperNURBS Weighting,
is there any way of querying what the current weights are?
It seems that they can be set, but not read. If you use interactive adjustment, you don’t know what the value is, so you can’t subsequently apply the same value elsewhere.

In the thread:

I reported what seems to be some odd behaviour. It seems that when changing the weights of a series of edge segments, which form a single longer straight edge, the surface only remains flat if the vertex weights are also adjusted.
This is fair enough, but the rule seems to be that if edge weights are positive then vertex weights should be zero, and if edge weights are negative, the vertex weights should be the same as the edge weights. This seems inconsistent. Any comments on this? (Bug or feature?)

A suggestion: If edge and vertex weights do both need adjusting at the same time to keep the surface flat, then could a method be provided to allow them to both be adjusted simultaneously?

E.g. numeric keypad ‘.’ changes the weights of the current selection. How about another key that changes the weights of the current selection, but also simultaneously adjusts the weights of the other elements (i.e. lines for selected vertices, vertices for selected lines)? The relevant elements would be as determined by the current ‘Convert Selection’ menu tool.

In the absense of this it’s cumbersome to keep them in sync.

Cheers - Steve Baines (Astrofish)

apparently reading over at postforum, face (poly) weighitng did do this earlier on with version 8… however since then some fool at maxon for no apparent reason decided that if you weight a face the points should be weighted at a higher weight than the edges (rather than an even weight), so you don’t get a smooth weighting control. :frowning:

well your rigth and wrong sadie, you see when you use face (poly) weighting it does weight edges and points together, but the issue is that in an old version it did them equally no when you weight a face you’ll notice that the points seem to weight a little differently. He is saying when you weight an edge it should weight the points. I think the idea has possibilities.

Thanks astrofish I will make sure they get that suggestion

man I need a holiday. Here I am writing an advanced HN howto and forgetting things. NOw the reason this hasn’t been mentioned much earlier is an issue with the early bird on macs, but pressing CTRL “.” will weight the points/edges between your selected edges/points, and holding SHIFT “.” will weight the points/edges connected to the selected edges/points. so if I have a cube and selec two points on the top left that mke the topl left edge, I can weight the points by pressing “.” I can weight them and the edge inbetween them by pressing CTRL and “.” I can weight them and all edges connected to them by pressing SHIFT “.”

The issue on Macs is that the short cuts do not match in the early bird but they will in the final release. Sorry mac users. :frowning:

It seems that the key mapping is still broken on the mac version :frowning:

are you using 8.012?

I’ll look into whether it is or not, if it is, I’m sorry to here that

Yeah, just installed 8.012 last week.

I cannot seem to do anything of any use with weighting. I get all sorts of artifacts where the non weighted surfaces join the weighted ones.

i thought these were killed, or were they just let loose off the stickyness factor…
about your prob anadin, what kind of artifacts? is the thingummy number (cant remember what its called, but the one that controls the amount of subdivs when previewing…) high enough?

ah, now we are alkigntwo seperate issues, does holding shift “.” do something different than holding just plain “.”?

As for the artifacts, you simply have a subdivision to low for effective weightin, I find the typical subD of 2 is not enough when weighting, use a subd of 3 should get rid of a lot of artifacts, and four should solve almost anyproblem. I still suggest you get familiar with the old techniques for getting hard edges and such when doing subdivisional modeling, somwtimes it is better, or oyu can find ways of taking advantage of weighted edges with lower subD settings simply in how you model.

“Shift” and “.” does nothing. The only key combination that does anything is “APPLE” and “.”

I will fiddle with subdivsions again.

The shift and ctrl keys should also allow you to weight the adjoining edges.point or weight only the adjoining edges/points. This is fine under windows, however there is a problem on the mac version which means when holding the mouse, period and one of the extra shift/ctrl keys, the extra key isnt noticed.

Thanks Mash, do you know if a fix is a comin’?

newbie dumb question… what is hypernurbs wighting anyways? any pics you can show me? also, is it available only in verison 8 ?
thanks

When you open both a cube and a hypernurbs object in Cinema and in the objects manager you drag the cube unto the hypernurbs, you will observe that in the workspace, the cube becomes a kind of a sphere, the quality of which can be set in the manager. Now when you make the cube editable (press C) and you take the Polygon, Edge or Points Mode/Tool, you will see a blue cube.
Weighting means that you can choose any one or a series of points, edges or sides (polys) and decide in how far you it want to be placed between where it is at that moment, on the “sphere”, and the maximum limit set by the blue cube.
In this elementary image, you see one side weighted to full 100% whilst the others stayed at the default settings.
In former versions, as far as I know, one needed a plugin to obtain this result.

a couple of notes onto Erik’s good example, negative weightin can infact go further in than an actual sphere, and a setting of 0 weightin(plain hypernurbs object or XL6/7) is not a true sphere either, slightly more cubic than a true sphere.

In XL 7 (not sure if it works in 6) there is a10 dollar plugin called supernurbs which uses vectormaps to weight the polygons on an object in hypernurbs.

http://www.c4d-plugins.com/

thanks Erik now I understand that it’s a great addition to C4D 8

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.