R8 [announcement] Q&a

Okey doke. Here’s a quick feature list, check out the movies on the site as the traffic starts to get manageable, and drop any questions in here. I’ll try to check this thread as often as possible.

Feature Highlights:

Character Animation

Soft Inverse Kinematics
Automatic secondary motion
Improved bone tools
Automatic rig options
Keyframe reduction
New Claude Bonet tool for vertex painting
Morph Library
Morph Sliders

Nodes

Expression builder
XPresson pool store
Set drivenkKeys
Thinking Particles

Modelling

Point & edge weighting
Edge selection
Edge loop /ring
Edge extrude / bevel
Spline deformers
Spherify

Editor / Workflow

Improved Open GL support
Dual plane support
Non modal windows
New attributes manager
Multiple selection
Drag & Drop througout the interface
Null display
Multiple layouts
Smart ray pointer
Context menus for commands
New display properties
Auto camera

Rendering

Faster render engine
Improved glows
Additional specular highlight options
New depth of field system
Light exclusion

Animation

New timeline
Auto keyframing
Sound scrubbing
Sound stretching
F-curves
Timewarp
Independent channels

Other

Turbo Squid direct links
PyroCluster 2 - smoke and fire 3D shader
Space mouse and jog dial support
Improved SDK
Easier Mac support; OS9 & OSX versions compiled into one program
STL support
Improved backup handling
Spectral shader

Will we be able to import Poser 5 Via the poser pluging ??

what about n-gons?

for those having troubles connecting, a mirror will be up soon at www.3dfortherealworld.com

for now to go with what Rick said, here is the screen cap

I’ll be around to help Answer questions with Rick :slight_smile:

:bounce: WOW ! that’s an incredible new version !!! Congratulation MAXON ! you did an extraordinary job !

I have a few questions.

1. I can see now 3 different products :
  • C4D R8
  • C4D R8 XL
  • C4D R8 STUDIO

Does it mean that there won’t be an ART version anymore ? And does it mean that you can get Cinema4D R8 for the price of Cinema4D ART 7 ? That would make Cinema the cheapest “pro” 3D software on earth !!!

1. Could you give us more information about Xpresso ?

2. What about the “spectral shader” ?

I Hope that you have fun at Siggraph !

:thumbsup: Eric

Hi folks,
so, here are my questions :slight_smile:

What abour NURBS? Will this be available in a seperate module in the future?
Will there be any Rhino or SolidThinking support?

Is flash output integrated or available seperatly?

Is the node based View only for xpression editing? if so, why?

Is COFFEE supported via tags like in V7?

What about updating to the full suite if one owns R7 and Bodypaint, how much will it cost?

What about Motion Mixing. Are ther any enhancements planned?

Does the new multi selection feature integrate well? Is it possible to select five spheres and edit all there attributes simultaniously?

Are the new fcurves available in a seperate window, or is it still required to choose between sequence and curve views?

Will mac users benefit from the open gl enhancements?

Why exeed the reder speed improvments on windows the mac improvements?

If you are so kind to answer some of these questions I would be very pleased. Thanx in advance,

cheers mnu

Will it be possible to select and move individual particles?

What about the modeling axis? Will they move automatically to the selected elements?

W

It will now work in a system like Maya I guess. Basically there is Cinema 4D R8. No more go or se or ART or XL.

After that there are seperate modules like Pyrocluster Advanced renderer MOCCA and such, these can be bough seperately or as a bundle with R8 currently called Cinem4D R8 XL, and then there is studio which has unlimited Net rendering (the XL bundle has a limit of 3) and the Dynamics and Bodypaint modules.

Anyone planning on purchasing Art now will get a free upgrade to r9 with the advanced renderer. Do note R8 itself does not include GI and caustics. With these new prices they easily compete with the others no doubt about it, especially since expresso comes n the basic R8 and is the most powerful Node expressionsystem I have seen personally.

Will the current owners of Pyroclusters & Bodypaint be able to use them with V8 ?

Originally posted by mnu
[B]Hi folks,
so, here are my questions :slight_smile:

1)Is flash output integrated or available seperatly?
2)Is the node based View only for xpression editing? if so, why?
3)Is COFFEE supported via tags like in V7?
4)What about updating to the full suite if one owns R7 and Bodypaint, how much will it cost?
5)What about Motion Mixing. Are ther any enhancements planned?
6)Does the new multi selection feature integrate well? Is it possible to select five spheres and edit all there attributes simultaniously?
7)Are the new fcurves available in a seperate window, or is it still required to choose between sequence and curve views?
8)Will mac users benefit from the open gl enhancements?
9)Why exeed the reder speed improvments on windows the mac improvements?
10)Will it be possible to select and move individual particles?
11)What about the modeling axis? Will they move automatically to the selected elements?

If you are so kind to answer some of these questions I would be very pleased. Thanx in advance,

cheers mnu
W [/B]

1)To be determined

2)This is more powerful than any other node based editor I have seen, It is what thinking Particles integrates into, controls pretty much ayanimation aspect if you wish, it is a true powerhouse system, and fairly easy to use, and for the beginners out there, it has been designed in an unobtrusive way so that even when it is beeing used for some things you need not work directly in it. I can set driven and driver objectswhich will show up in expresso and be updated or edited there, but I can also set them up with out ever using the expresso editor.

3)Yes COFFEE tags are still available. but I don’t think I will use them as much personally thanks to Expresso

4)This information is on the site, but I forgot and can’t check right now, I will get back to you on this if Rick doesn’t answer first.

1. Motion mixing works great, and now you also have Pose 2 Pose animation and pos synthesizer as well, not to worry in this area :slight_smile: as well as more control through Fcruves and such.

6)Yes it integrate extremely well, almost worth not having it in previous versions just to get it to work so well here, tou can edit multiple objects of the same sort all at once as ong as the settings are similar, If I edit the radius of vie spheres all at ones they must have the same size, but it will indicate if ay objects are not similar to the rest so you don’t screw up. I can change light brightness of 8 lights of sepereate colours and such too

1. Fcurves are available in a seperate window and within the timeline itself underneath the sequence

2. Mac users will benefit from OGL enhancements as well

9)I think you mean why the render speed is increased more on PC’s??? I think this is simpply because the processors are taking advantage more I’m m not sure someone like Rick may have a better cleareer answer, but its increased on all platforms so thats good right?

1. Thinking Particles has so much control, I haven’t tried this personally, but I will try to find out. I know there was one scene I played with from another user where you could use a single sphere emitted from TP to open some automatic doors like at a mall. So I would say yes but can’t confirm.

2. Yes the modeling axis does detect selections now, really great with the New ege tools :slight_smile:

Buy CINEMA 4D R7 and receive CINEMA 4D XL R8 on release, free of charge
Buy CINEMA 4D ART R7 and receive CINEMA 4D R8 plus the Advanced Render Module, free of charge
Applies to orders placed between 24 July 2002 and CINEMA 4D R8 release date and only to qualifying CINEMA 4D R7 packages.

Will our old plugins still work ?
Or will we need to convert them for V8 ?

Originally posted by audity
[B]:bounce: WOW ! that’s an incredible new version !!! Congratulation MAXON ! you did an extraordinary job !

I have a few questions.

1. I can see now 3 different products :
  • C4D R8
  • C4D R8 XL
  • C4D R8 STUDIO

Does it mean that there won’t be an ART version anymore ? And does it mean that you can get Cinema4D R8 for the price of Cinema4D ART 7 ? That would make Cinema the cheapest “pro” 3D software on earth !!!
3:thumbsup: Eric [/B]

Kai guessed pretty much correctly. CINEMA 4D R8 is now the core of a system of modules. This package is a complete modeling and animation solution and will retail for $595. There’s 7 additional modules that can be plugged into CINEMA 4D R8 - these are available separately or in bundles (which are less expensive than purchasing individually). The XL “Bundle” includes R8 plus Advanced Rendering, MOCCA character tools, Thinking Particles & Pyrocluster. It’ll retail for $1695. The Studio Bundle includes all of the modules - those in XL plus BodyPaint, Dynamics and NET unlimited for $2495.

So yes, GO and ART will be discontinued this fall and R8 will be available at the ART 7 pricepoint. I’m really excited about that - now users won’t have to compromise because a really incredible professional animation system is available at an accessible price.

• Rick -

Thanks Kai for answering most of them.

The new render speed improvements have been gained partly due to more optimised code, but also because Maxon is able to take advantage of the new features on modern processors such as the Athlon and Pentium 4.

Unfortunately there have been no such improvements on the Mac side because the G4 chip is beginning to show its age. Should a new chip be release by Apple, this would be supported as soon as possible.

Please dont let this turn into a platform war, it is simply a fact that other than MHz increases, the Macintosh Processors have had no real improvements in recent years.

Most release 6 and 7 plugins should continue to work in Release 8, although some small tweeks may have to be made. For what its worth, all of the plugins and COFFEE expressions I have tried currently work.

Originally posted by pgp_protector
Will our old plugins still work ?
Or will we need to convert them for V8 ?

Generally, old plugins run in an emulation layer and should work fine. This will apply to 90% of all plugins; few things cannot be emulated though. Until release they’ll collect a list with plugin compatibility information. Hope that helps. Thoguh I think many of your favourite plugins will se themselves updated not too long after release :slight_smile:

as for those curious about the upgrrade prices this is what you are looking for.

http://www.maxonshop.com/cgi-bin/us/gp?pg=products/upgrades.main&sid=&uid=SSJKao/zY5ZAGRA&aid=&cid=100&rn=129

They state that they improved “Glow”, Can we place a Glow object behind glass yet ?

thanx for the quick answers. I think R8 is very great! Can’t wait to get my hands on it

cheers mnu

Originally posted by mnu
Is the node based View only for xpression editing? if so, why?

The node based view is for editing xpressions, but these can control nearly any aspect of the software.

Is COFFEE supported via tags like in V7?

COFFEE support is even better.

What about updating to the full suite if one owns R7 and Bodypaint, how much will it cost?

Check with the sales department - they’ll have better answers than me.

What about Motion Mixing. Are ther any enhancements planned?

MOCCA has lots of new character enhancements, including Pose 2 Pose.

Does the new multi selection feature integrate well? Is it possible to select five spheres and edit all there attributes simultaniously?

YES! It’s phenomenal. It’s very well implemented.

Are the new fcurves available in a seperate window, or is it still required to choose between sequence and curve views?

Separate window or right under the sequence. You can tab the fcurves anywhere.

Will mac users benefit from the open gl enhancements?

YES.

Will it be possible to select and move individual particles?

Not as such, but you have a lot of control over particles in TP and XPresso.

What about the modeling axis? Will they move automatically to the selected elements?

Yep.

Originally posted by imashination
[B]Thanks Kai for answering most of them.

Most release 6 and 7 plugins should continue to work in Release 8, although some small tweeks may have to be made. For what its worth, all of the plugins and COFFEE expressions I have tried currently work. [/B]

Hey no problem. It sort of a reward for keeping my mouth shut

Most plugins I have tried (very few) have worked great. The thing I’d like to also point oiut is that in my current huge list of plugins for XL 7.303, I seriously won’t need at least a third and thats just off the top of my head, probably more won’t be needed, for example no need for dynamic axis as this ability is available in XL 8, and works better IMO now too(doesn’t screw up children objects placement and such):applause:

Here is a smaple of weighted HN that I was given permission to post :slight_smile:

Thanks for getting answers in there Kai & Mash - didn’t read far enough.

Using a vast array of polygonal modeling tools, you can easily mold a lumpy cube into almost any object. Then use CINEMA 4D’s improved HyperNURBS to interactively smooth out the model, while keeping a sharp edge with point, edge or polygon weighting.

NGONS, 5 sided polys???

I must say the pricing looks good. BUT, I will be a student (hopefully) by fall…can you release those prices if there are any? I would also like to mix and match, I have a full copy of Cinema 7 but will be a student…er…what are the options?

Is Mocca a NON LINEAR animation system??? (in not much of an animator so the jargon may have confused me?)

Looks nice can’t wait to get my hands on it…hope it lives up!