Q&A - Building a PC for C4d work and GPU rendering

There was some discussion about building a PC for C4D work in another thread so I’m starting a thread here.

If you want to build your own PC here are the phases…

1. Research what parts you want to buy. You will need:
    Motherboard, CPU, boot drive, RAM , Windows OS, Power Supply, PC case enclosure
    Optional/Possibly need: Data drive, CD/DVD-drive, extra fans, monitor, keyboard/mouse, thermal paste, CPU fan

2. Buy parts

3. Install

4. Install OS and apps

5. Enjoy

There are YouTube videos for each part of the process. But I’m happy to answer any specific questions. I switched from being a 20-year Mac fanboy to Windows (for 3d work) and have built 3 systems.

Depending on your sentiments about buying used GPUs…you could build a nice 3d system with two used 1080 TI for around $2,000 US. The system would be all new except for GPUs.

Or you could go newer/better/more $.

You could even build in phases.

The CPU you buy will determine your options for motherboard and RAM. You need matching architecture and generation.

For example…when I built my first system it was Intel X99 platform. When I purchased my most recent system it was AMD AM4.

Is a one or two GPU machine worth it for motion graphics work? When I build out PCs on PC part picker I usually start with one 2080ti with the idea that I could expand to 2 down the line.

That was my hope with my iMac, originally. Sticking to two eGPUs and not worrying about cooling in one case. But the hope for nVidia is dying off.

One tool I find indispensable when building and repairing pcs is my 3 prong small part grabber. About the size of a fountain pen, you press on the end and 3 wire grabbers appear. There’s always 1 or 2 hard to reach screws (usually when mounting the mobo) and this little gizmo lets you ‘start’ the screw.

Only a few $ eg here.

Bubble,

Two GPUs are a great system if you go with 2080TI. And one 2080 TI is itself a beast. One 2080 TI beats 3 980 cards from a few years ago.

You can always add more GPU later – and by the time you want to purchase a second GPU we might have seen Nvidia release the 3080TI. :slight_smile:

What you have to remember is that these GPUs are big and wide…and need room to breathe. When shopping for motherboards it’s easy to be confused when looking at PCI slots. You can think…oh, this has five PCI slots so I’ll have space for five GPUs. No, you won’t.

When I purchased my first PC four years ago I bought one of the biggest motherboards. It had 7 slots. But it really can only hold four GPUs because the Nvidia cards we all love are double-width.

And in truth even four cards isn’t a good idea on that 7 PCI motherboard unless I were to use liquid cooling or simpler hybrid cooling … Like this:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487428&Description=2080TI&cm_re=2080TI--14-487-428--Product

If you are planning longterm for 2 GPUs it is simpler. You should be fine with just simple air cooled GPU.

I still recommend a large case and motherboard. And a Power Supply of >1,000 watts. I recommend 1,200W*. Larger cases are easier to build and upgrade, give you more options and provide more air flow. And they don’t add much cost.

For CPU I recommend AMD Ryzen as you get better performance, better price and their matching mother boards are also cheaper.

*Don’t worry…your system won’t consume that much, this gives you headroom.

I’m not sure about two aircooled GPUs, but I know that 3 air cooled 2080 tis is the same computing power as 2 liquid cooled 2080tis (hybrid cards), specifically because the former run significantly hotter when rendering (87 degrees C) - enough to throttle the processing power, where as the latter run much cooler (55 C).

For ~$200 USD more, you can get the liquid cooled variety; it’s worth it, especially if you’re even considering the slight possibility of adding a third down the road.

Luke, I don’t think I’ve seen the 1080TI here ever run over 72C . Ever. No throttling. But again…it’s fans aren’t blocked off by neighboring GPU.

I can’t speak specifically to temps on latest Nvidia cards. Is this what you’ve seen personally or what you’ve read?

Let’s suppose one had three GPUs. I’d certainly suggest getting the hybrid cooling models for the two that would otherwise blow directly into other cards. The third one that isn’t blocked…I would just save the money and go w/standard air cool.

Edit: Luke, just a bit more info… I’ve never over-clocked or tweaked w/settings. Under max load GPU clock is 1920+ and Memory Clock at 3502. From what I read this is all good performance for this card.

Curiously the system I’m most worried about w/temps is my mackbook pro. It’s CPU runs crazy hot even with modest activity.

This test was with C4D / RS - the same scene on two separate workstations - one with three air-cooled 2080tis in a professionally built machine, the other with two hybrid liquid cooled cards in a self-assembled machine. I don’t know how they compare to 1080tis.

The scene may play into it as well; some heavy scenes choke up RS so much that my workstation grinds to a halt & I can’t even use a word processor without notable lag while rendering. Other scenes allow me to write & stream video without a problem, so there’s a possibility that temperatures may adjust as well.

[quote=“LukeLetellier, post:7, topic:2051162, full:true”]
I’m not sure about two aircooled GPUs, but I know that 3 air cooled 2080 tis is the same computing power as 2 liquid cooled 2080tis (hybrid cards)[/quote]

Therefore 2 air cooled 2080ti in a modern good airflow case is the same computing power as 2 liquid cooled 2080tis and you saved yourself $400 :slight_smile:
Jokes aside, my EVGA 2080ti has a very handy auxiliary fan header to which I connected a 12" fan mounted perpendicular on the side panel (5mns with a dremel to cut the hole) So when rendering it gently bask itself and the little sister 1080ti with fresh air. I get temps in the mid 70’s.

Are “turbo” cards - which exhaust their hot air out the back - worth pursuing in a 2xGPU ATX case?

BGD,

I’m not as familiar with GPUs that exhaust out the back. Needed to google it. I see that Asus is trying this? Interesting concept. I can’t comment meaningfully.

I’ve generally been an EVGA brand guy for GPU. Standard open air cooling.

so you are using multible gpus that are no blowers? (more then two?)
How many of them in one case. I read several times that using blowers is obligatory for multible GPU setups.
I am thinking of setting up a multi GPU computer that runs quietly on air, if possible.
does anybody have a multible blower style gpu comuter? How loud is it?

best regards
Jops

Jops, I currently have two GPUs in two different CPUs so it’s not an issue right now. But I’m glad to know about blower style. I’d thought my only option moving fwd with current systems was the hybrids.

I do read the blowers are pretty loud.

The ChaosGroup guys swear by blower-style cards for multi GPU setups, but I haven’t seen any specific numbers.

I have a Turbo/blower style Vega 64 in an eGPU, and it is indeed loud.

In a simple ATX setup, I was thinking 2x blower style GPUs would be loud but perhaps keep temps under control.

Vega 64 is a loud card though, Vega 56 is better & the NVidia equivalents better still.
But you’re right, GPU render peeps recommend blower cards for multi-GPU setups if you’re not prepared for the expense/ hassle of water -cooling.
I’ve got a single reference 1080 ti & the noise is really minimal. The case is small though, it would be interesting to see how a 2nd would do in there.

Here is a very in depth article about dual fan vs blower style GPUs in a multiple GPU configuration with benchmark results testing thermal throttling

FWIW i recently purchased a system from Puget containing 3 2080TIs. I have yet to seriously stress test it with Redshift, but so far it runs nearly silent. At least its quieter than the noise of our HVAC in the office. :slight_smile: