Publication Opportunity

I am looking for submissions for a creative internet project that requires a lot of CG. This is opportunity for unpaid publication. It will give credit, links to your other work and opportunity for others to contact you to review more of your work. The project is expected to generate a lot of traffic.

We are looking for top notch work in the area of fanciful science fiction. The project is intellectual, non-violent, somewhat quirky, upbeat. No robots or weapons, please. We also won’t be able to use anything that has strongly depicted characters in it, since the project has characters of its own. So generic science fiction and fantasy would work.

If you want to create something especially for the project, here are ideas for suitable themes: Galaxies. Hints of the afterlife - without strong religious bents. Idylic meadows with trees and streams An interesting café with various aliens. A park bench under a chestnut tree has a prominent role. (We’d have to talk to you about the chestnuts.) We have one character who looks like a salmon, only he is malformed. (We can give you details on the malformation.) A group of other characters look like angels, only they’re scrawny, hairy and have big noses. (Who would want to meet them?) Duct tape is a recurring theme.

You must have the right to offer the work you submit for publication. We would have to be able to obtain the rights for one-time world wide publication. You would be able to sell your work again to someone else.

[ul]
[li]Submit by email.
[/li][li]Make sure we have a way of contacting you back by email.
[/li][li]Title your email CG SUBMISSION and put it in caps, so I can see it through all my junk mail.
[/li][li]Include a cover note that gives us your name, so we know who we’re talking to - something like this ould be fine:
[/li][/ul]
My submission on the CG you mentioned on CG Talk.
And close with your name.
[ul]
[li]Then attach Lo Res JPGS. (If we like the work, we will ask fo rhigher res version later.)
[/li][li]We will not open any executables.
[/li][li]I can’t phone anyone.
[/li][li]Send it to:
[/li][/ul]

corinne@brilliantidiot.com

Also, if anyone can connect me with the CG artist behind the picture I describe in this thread:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=112689

I’d make sure I gave you a credit and a link.

CFS

PS: DEADLINE FEBRUARY 15th!

:bounce:

Bump

sounds really cool man.

Yesseeeerreeee! :thumbsup:

It’s totally cool and a real hoot to work on! Should be ready to go by the end of February!

Hey, how’s NeoSpawn going? I checked your thread and saw the premliniaries… any updates?

CFS

:wavey:

will this be generating money in some way? if so… isn’t it a bit cheeky to expect people to just “donate” artwork :slight_smile:

In most cases you would be able to sell your work again to someone else

what do you mean by that? if you don’t pay for the art, shouldn’t that say in ALL cases, ( unless I’ve misunderstood what you’re refering to ) :smiley:

will this be generating money in some way? if so… isn’t it a bit cheeky to expect people to just “donate” artwork

The project is not planned to generate any revenue. It’s designed to show case several kinds of talent in a unified project. The project is a ‘radio play’ which showcases some top notch writing and performing talent and which will, hopefully, display some amazing visual art talent as well. So it’s not about ‘donating’ but about having the chance to put your work out there in a big way for the eventual benefits that will generate for one’s career.

The marketing and project are planned to bring a lot of traffic to the site, so that is the big payoff for the talented people showcased. The executive producer is an award winning CBC show host - so the results will be top notch.

what do you mean by that? if you don’t pay for the art, shouldn’t that say in ALL cases, ( unless I’ve misunderstood what you’re refering to )

I see how that can be confusing. What I meant was, we don’t want to snag all the rights to your work and not let you use it again. That wouldn’t be sensible or fair - and would defeat the purpose of the project! So we’re just asking for one-time publication rights - the right to put it up there in the project. If, however, you want to come to some other kind of deal with us we are open to that as well.

CFS

Golllleeeee! You folks don’t half post a lot! I’ve never had to bump a thread so often in my life!

:thumbsup:

Edit: By that I meant - this is a really active site and the threads move down at ligthening speed!!!

Originally posted by squidinc
[B]will this be generating money in some way? if so… isn’t it a bit cheeky to expect people to just “donate” artwork :slight_smile:

what do you mean by that? if you don’t pay for the art, shouldn’t that say in ALL cases, ( unless I’ve misunderstood what you’re refering to ) :smiley: [/B]

sorry, totally off topic. But Squidinc, your icon is hella cool!! :bounce: :beer:

hi CFS,

sorry to have to be the tough love messenger here, but i’ve kind of always been raised to just say things straight.

1. it’s irritating to members that you keep bumping your thread without adding any necessary input or information which is beneficial to the site.

2. the reason that no one has responded to your thread in more than a week (a lifetime on CGTalk) is that no one is interested. that’s because your offer sounds like b.s. (abbreviation for bullsh*t.)

Quality CG is a lot of work and most members here are quite busy at jobs or working on portfolios and have long grown wary of offers for them to invest their efforts for free with the PROMISE of exposure or delayed payoff. The funny thing is, most members will work on projects for free, but you’ve got to somehow legitimize yourself by showing something/anything you’ve already done - or at least a link to a website showing that you’re professional in your plans and serious. which will inspire confidence that a member’s hard-to-come-by efforts will not simply go wasted.

I’m not trying to ride you down or discourage you, but hopefully after you read my e-mail you’ll be able to reconsider your approach. If you give nothing as you have above, that’s what you’ll get. Nothing.

Originally posted by Quizboy
it’s irritating to members that you keep bumping your thread without adding any necessary input or information which is beneficial to the site.

The fact that there’s three of these threads floating around may have something to do with my agreeing.

Originally posted by singularity2006
sorry, totally off topic. But Squidinc, your icon is hella cool!! :bounce: :beer:

hehe, cheers :smiley:
it’s gonna be a sort of mascot for my site

Points well taken.

I can understand your concern about credibility. It’s a problem on the net.

Ask me anything you want to know and I’ll answer you straight.

For starters, I am a former Canadian Broadcasting Corporation host and journalist. (I started my career in print journalism and as a video editor for CBC Newsworld. It’s our version of CNN.) My last position with CBC was in Moncton, New Brunswick (Canada) until my show was cut in a large, national budget cut.

Since then I’ve shifted my careers, to the less stressful industry of natural health. I now run a smaller, multi-media publishing house called Serenity Audio Yoga. (We come up on many major search engines when you type in key words concerning yoga, etc. ) (My understanding is that I can’t put business links up here, so I’ll put that web site in my profile, along with my own personal, professional seminar site info.) My latest publication just out at Christmas is Duct Tape Yoga.

As foar as this project goes: because of my background, I know many highly skilled, highly qualified people in several creative fields, especially in print, TV, film and radio. Like you folks in CG, even the best of us in these fields have the recurring challenge of generating and keeping exposure, to land those really great jobs. It’s an ongoing challenge of being a creative artist!

This project is designed to generate exposure and build or keep up the profiles of those involved. We are professionals. We have high standards and goals for everything we do.

I understand how hard you people work on your art. Living with a CG artist, I’ve seen how much skill and dedication goes into your art form. If there is anything that binds creative souls together across modalities, is that our work demands a lot of focus and many long hours in our quest for excellence and recognition. I know how hard it is to have those efforts pay off.

So, I want you to understand the level of respect I have for the work you people do here. That’s why I came here.

If you are looking for one more way to put your work out there and build your profile, then this project is a chance to do that.

• Corinne Friesen

PS: Oh, yah
and one more thing. I must admit to being a woman and not a man. Didn’t think there was much point in pointing it out before! :wink:

thanks for the clarification CFS, oh and on a lighter note…if you had just mentioned the fact of being a woman in the first post, i’m sure you’re thread would have been popping from the get go.

:wink:

I’m a character man myself, but with the Alienware Challenge rounding off 19 Jan, you just might be in luck as many people who have made giant efforts on environments but don’t win might be willing to let their work be published. You never know…

Review some of those entries as they progress, wait 'til judging is over and then consider PMing members personally whose work you’re interested in.

Good Luck!

oh and on a lighter note…if you had just mentioned the fact of being a woman in the first post, i’m sure you’re thread would have been popping from the get go.

LOL

I’m just temporarily adopting the form of a woman while I wait to evolve into a form more like Squidinc’s avitar!

I’m a character man myself, but with the Alienware Challenge rounding off 19 Jan, you just might be in luck as many people who have made giant efforts on environments but don’t win might be willing to let their work be published. You never know…

Review some of those entries as they progress, wait 'til judging is over and then consider PMing members personally whose work you’re interested in.

I think you’re right - that that would be the best strategy.

Thanks!

:wavey:

Canadian chicks?

“Giggity giggity Alll righhhhht!”

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.