Prince of Persia - Breathing New Life!

Would be waay better if the enemies were scattered all around the levels instead of stopping completely in a “fighting area” waiting for all the enemies to spawn for 10 minutes. And the end game fight with the wizard. Pathetic! He hides behind a curtain and respawns his own clone 3 times for you to fight. What was that? It was nothing! But great puzzles and art, would be a masterpiece if all the dumb fights were left out.

This game was badass.

Only game I’ve bought since Warcraft 3 on PC.

I bought it for my roomate for christmas.

I wish the game lasted longer, took me two days to finish. I was sad when it was over. It was just soo good I couldn’t put the controller down!

I remember playing the original PoP on my dads computer.
Man those were good times.
For a while it was the only dos prompt I knew how to execute. :stuck_out_tongue:

Cool article.

I would put PoP: Sands of Time in my top 10 video games of all time list. Definitely an awesome game. The graphics are great, playability is superb, the story only added to the already good game and the level design is topnotch. And picking The Tea Party to do the music just put it so far over the top its not even funny!!! :buttrock:

to all who says that its imposible to play the game on keyboard with default keys, are ya outta yer mind?:surprised those keys are fine… i used them with out a single prob, and the wall to wall jumps are piece o` cake… (hmmm a thought just occured to me, i use the mouse with my left hand… so i guess thats why i havent any probs with it)
the game was nice, the graphics where nice (but i couldnt enjoy em fully cuz the game lacks support for older cards… had to use a standalone prog to deactivate all the fancy stuff so i could play) my main complaint is the is WAAAAAAAAy too easy… no challenge at all… i like the PoP games being hard but this one is just way too easy, and why u can jump only to four directions from ropes and pillars? thats lame…

by faaaaar the best game in 2003 in every aspect…my opinion ofcourse :wink:

Sorry to ruin the mood, but i think my most favorite series of that type remains the Flashback - Fade 2 Black, which also changed from 2d to 3D many years ago, and i realy just loved the animated sequences there. Of course i spended a incredible amount of time playing the PoP series as well, but still i prefer the flashback. Probably because of the design style… :shrug:

I am persian and love the game, hehehe :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by Dennik
Sorry to ruin the mood, but i think my most favorite series of that type remains the Flashback - Fade 2 Black, which also changed from 2d to 3D many years ago, and i realy just loved the animated sequences there. Of course i spended a incredible amount of time playing the PoP series as well, but still i prefer the flashback. Probably because of the design style… :shrug:

Loved Flashback as well …

Ahhh… the nostalgia I played the original Prince of Persia in 1990 on a 286/386. What an incredible side scroller - very fluid gameplay. At that time, my other favorite games were the Lemmings, Mechwarrior and StarControl. Has it been 14 years … I’m getting old.:hmm:

I had to leave my opinion here too…

This is probably the best game ever (one of the best games ever for sure).

And i say this for several reasons:
The graphics are awesome and VERY IMPORTANT: it loads really fast! Other games with poor graphics take ages just to load. This one in 3 seconds I am playing…and the quick load? Very good!

Gameplay? To me it was flawless. U can go almost anywhere, climb walls etc. in a marvelous ‘Matrix style’.

The time lapse option is very good too.

I could be here all day long…Great game, very well programmed. At the same level of Max Payne 2, i guess…
:beer:

Funny how they didn’t mention in the article that they “borrowed” much of the game’s elements from the Playstation 2 game, ICO (pronounced “eeee-ko”), including the visuals, the dynamics of character relationships/interaction, the seamless enviroment…etc. ICO was a masterpiece and a true work of art–with critical acclaims across the board in the game industry.

I thought POP SOT was quite nice, but after repeating similar jump puzzles and killing the endless horde of enemies that keeps spawning, I uninstalled it and started playing The Knights of the Old Republic.

I am not sure if it borrows from ICO. You didnt need to worry about the girl in POP that much and you dont need to hold her hand and yank her arm to make her walk. There was CO-OP play way befre ICO , it surely didnt invent it.

as always penny arcade says it best: :slight_smile:

“Metroid (84ish)…”

In 84 we were introduced to “Root Beer Tapper” and other hits like “Keystone Kapers”. Still a couple until Metroid emerged :slight_smile:

PoP:SoT is pretty good. A little linear and repetitive for my tastes, but I enjoy helping my son past the hard parts. Great looking artwork for sure.

That comic is hilarious! :beer:

very impressive

Originally posted by Sheep Factory
I am not sure if it borrows from ICO. You didnt need to worry about the girl in POP that much and you dont need to hold her hand and yank her arm to make her walk. There was CO-OP play way befre ICO , it surely didnt invent it.

During a video interview at Gamespy, one of their team members said they basically “ripped off” Ico. Of course, he said it while laughing to make sure we understand he’s joking. But he went on to praise the hell out of Ico and said the whole POP SOT team adored Ico so they implemented as much of the same elements as they could.

POP is, without a doubt, the most visually stunning game I’ve EVER played. The colors, shapes, light, motions, moods, fluidity of storytelling and atmosphere is so spot on, so drop dead gorgeous. The gameplay is also really really top notch, a bit tricky at first but oh so much more rewarding later, when you’re in total control of the princes’ wide array of moves. A very very enjoyable production indeed. Congratulations to the POP team!! :beer:

-Daniel

After 11 years of doing game art, my hat is off to the POP team, They achieved a look that without a doubt stand out in the market. It has wonderful mood, brilliant lighting and simply put, it’s a polished product that is worth every penny.

I have strived to work on projects like these. Looking forward to a sequel (FROM THE SAME TEAM)

I’m glad to hear you all love this game so much. You deserve a plug of your own. Because of all your splendid reviews I just ordered the action Pack from UBI which had Splinter Cell, and Prince of Persia. I couldn’t resist any longer. I’m totally excited to play POP now.

Originally posted by onlooker
Because of all your splendid reviews I just ordered the action Pack from UBI which had Splinter Cell, and Prince of Persia. I couldn’t resist any longer. I’m totally excited to play POP now.

You won’t regret that purchase even for a second. Both games are of the highest quality in there respective genres. (stealth and action) Each one is worth the money that you just paid for both. :buttrock:

Originally posted by Joel.Hooks
[B]“Metroid (84ish)…”

In 84 we were introduced to “Root Beer Tapper” and other hits like “Keystone Kapers”. Still a couple until Metroid emerged :slight_smile:
[/B]

Ok, '86. Wow i was way off.
My point was that i lumped all those games into 84-ish some being higher and some being lower, out of laziness. It evens it out.

wow, i’m surprised that nobody had any negative opinions about this game. i played it for a good while, and got very very bored. the animations are awesome, and the look is nice, but it just didn’t have anything to hold my attention. the fighting sequences are so lame after the first few encounters. you end up doing the same 3 moves over and over again…jump off a wall, run up a guy…c’mon, it gets boring. visually its very sweet, but it just lacks substance. for all the good stuff, there are still huge flaws that many are overlooking. don’t even get me started on the camera during the action sequences…:hmm: